*** The Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim Official Thread ***

Don
No you don't need to have played any of the others Mr Tommo, although it's part of a series, you can pick the story up quick easily.

It's a great game though, it's much more in depth than Fable, there's a massive gulf between these games. You can pick it up quite cheap now too, so it's win win :)

Soldato
OP
There are a lot of books in the Elderscroll series that if you take the time to read, they fill in a lot of the history and lore of the series. Each game is its own story and theres no need to know about the previous one :)

Last edited:
Soldato
So I picked it up a couple of hours ago and really been enjoying it.

However, I went to retrieve the golden claw and a spider killed me. Now the screen is just panning around me dead body and I've no idea what to do?

Has it got something to do with me not saving? Surely this thing auto saves?! It won't even let me quit or anything on the start button menu?

Soldato
Skyrim Legendary edition is coming to PC, PS3 and Xbox 360;

Winner of more than 200 Game of the Year awards, experience the complete Skyrim collection with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition, including the original critically-acclaimed game, official add-ons – Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn – and added features like combat cameras, mounted combat, Legendary difficulty mode for hardcore players, and Legendary skills – enabling you to master every perk and level up your skills infinitely.

Key Features

• Live Another Life, In Another World - Play any type of character you can imagine, and do whatever you want; the freedom of choice, storytelling, and adventure of The Elder Scrolls comes to life in one legendary experience complete with added weapons, armor, spells, and shouts from all three official add-ons.
  • Dawnguard - The Vampire Lord Harkon has returned to power. By using the Elder Scrolls, he seeks to do the unthinkable - to end the sun itself. Will you join the ancient order of the Dawnguard and stop him? Or will you become a Vampire Lord? In Dawnguard, the ultimate choice will be yours.
  • Hearthfire - Purchase land and build your own home from the ground up - from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to turn stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.
  • Dragonborn - Journey off the coast of Morrowind, to the vast island of Solstheim.Traverse the ash wastes and glacial valleys of this new land as you become more powerful with shouts that bend the will of your enemies and even tame dragons. Your fate, and the fate of Solstheim, hangs in the balance as you face off against your deadliest adversary – the first Dragonborn.

It seems to be retailing for circa £30.00. Comes with 1.9 patch, which effectively scraps the level cap.

Last edited:
Associate
I kinda wish I'd waited for this. Wasted so much time tweaking the game since launch. So many problems are fixed now, I'm jealous of the people playing this for the first time in Legendary form.

Soldato
Afternoon!

I've recently started playing Skyrim again on the PC this time (first play through was on the PS3) and i'd forgotten how much fun it can be!

It's being well over a year since I played and just wanted some simple advice, last time I went a mage character however, this time i'm going bad-ass mofo warrior! (Hack and slash)

I'm looking at going one handed/shield and using a bow for long distance.

Should I just put all my level up points in one handed/heavy Armour/block and bows? Am I going to be at a huge disadvantage just using a character like this without any magic?

Associate
Its entirely possible to play the game without using magic at all.
You will need to use/level some if you want to do the mage guild storyline, but you can just do the minmum needed to get you through the door.
You also might find it handy to have healself, healother, showquestpath and a couple of the light spells.
If you put points into just the armour and weapon skills you become very powerfull and especialy with good gear you just shrug off a lot of magical attacks.

One thing i will mention is how damage mitigation works. Its capped. At some point you will go over that cap with just your base armour so using a sheild at this point for defence from physical attacks wont help. Every time ive played sword and board I always end up swapping to dual weild at somepoint.

Caporegime
I should start playing this again, got into it loads then just stopped once I was able to craft legendary daedric stuff.

Nice having it in the armoury though as I ended up switching back to non daedric stuff as I was a total bad ass.

Soldato
I just tryed this again with loads of the graphics mods like the high res textures ect and honestly its been a while since iv played it but it didnt look all that different from what i remember really. I read up about people saying it looks like a totally different game with the mods but i dont know maybe im not easily impressed lol.

Associate
Got the Legendary Edition as a gift - never played it first time round. Really good so far - so much to do it is massive. Took ages to walk to Riften to join Thieves Guild but I like sneaking through forest and hunting the animals.

Did the thieves guild mission where you burn the beehives and got attacked by a dragon who burnt the beehives for me before getting killed by the guards. I was to busy running around in circles in the water trying to get on the island to get a shot in. Did not know about the sewers! Was just totally unexpected wondering what the noise was only to turn around and see a dragon attacking!

Currently in a barrow having killed some skeletons and draugrs. To easy with sneak arrow attack picking them off as they popped out of coffins. Lydia helped as distraction.

Level 12 wood elf. Unfortunately don't have enough time to play it so going to take ages to get any where.

Associate
I loved oblivion and racked up hundreds of hours on it and I was counting down the days to release day for skyrim but there's something I can't put my finger on that left me underwhelmed with skyrim, technically wise it's superior to oblivion, more polished, the controls and interface are more refined but it just doesn't feel the same, maybe its because the landscape isn't as varied as cyrodill, sometimes I seem to be walking endlessly in snow which is a novelty that soon wears off, cyrodill had everything just right with mountainous regions, the black marsh and the green fields etc all in the right proportions to keep it varied, I hope TES online can live upto it

Associate
I loved oblivion and racked up hundreds of hours on it and I was counting down the days to release day for skyrim but there's something I can't put my finger on that left me underwhelmed with skyrim, technically wise it's superior to oblivion, more polished, the controls and interface are more refined but it just doesn't feel the same, maybe its because the landscape isn't as varied as cyrodill, sometimes I seem to be walking endlessly in snow which is a novelty that soon wears off, cyrodill had everything just right with mountainous regions, the black marsh and the green fields etc all in the right proportions to keep it varied, I hope TES online can live upto it

I got a little sick of all the snow too. Did you ever see that mod that turns the game to summer. Obviously PC version only, so posting just in case you have access to the PC version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uc9jcG1fo

Kinda crazy that a few texture files can change it this much.

Associate
I've just had this (Legendary Edition) for a week after getting it in the black friday sales, as a stop-gap until I get GTAV at christmas. I played Oblivion on the PC a long time ago but gave up fairly early on I think.

I'm enjoying this more, the dungeons seem less repetitive although I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the number of side-quests i'm accumulating. I'm only up to level 7 and have spent all my time between Riverfell, Whiterun and the Mage college, clearing out a few dungeons inbetween.

I like the rapid weapon changing and weapon/magic switching when I need to defeat a tougher enemy although I still am in the habit of just wading in initially and trying to batter it with an axe, getting killed and being sent back to the last save.

There are a few things that are a bit frustrating, I've yet to use any smithing because I can't remember where I saw them , and also who I'm supposed to see about buying the house. I'll figure it out.

Soldato
You can smith at any of the main town settlements, find the blacksmith and there you'll be able to craft weapons/armour and turn ore into ingots.

Make sure you carry around a pickaxe, they're a bit heavy if you're starting out and don't have much carry capacity (increase strength to help this) but are worth it as you'll stumble across loads of ore veins to mine eventually.

Back
Top Bottom