Learning German, after advice.

Soldato
I work for a German company and intercompany communication is in German, but often they use English when we're involved. I am still in the process of learning German, because it's through the language you start to learn about how formal / informal Germans' POV are. Try walking into a company and start calling anyone by their first name, raises more than a few eye brows if you're not careful.

It also promotes better social conversations when you're there. I am under the impression that Swiss German is a mix, but still understandable. A lot of slangs used, probably influenced by Swiss unique position and Austria.

I'm a little lucky as I get to learn from a tutor during work hours, but her suggestion for homework is to watch German films / movie with German subtitles. Does help!

Caporegime
There used to be a great BBC series called "Deutsch Plus" which I thought was an excellent soap opera-style language programme. So rather than having random interviews and facts about a place as was the way, it was more like watching EastEnders. :p

I think the whole thing is on YouTube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lk9rS7n-4Q&feature=share&list=PL6FFFCB569B2D0D0A

You can see straight away from the first episode how formal they all are in the workplace as Mr Jones says.

Soldato
I've been using Radio Lingua's Coffee Break German. It's a free podcast but you can upgrade to a premium version with lots of extra bits.

So far it's been superb, and believe me I've had lots of attempt to learn a language, and even after 3-4 weeks I'm still sticking with it!

Back
Top Bottom