SkyDrive the cheapest?

Soldato
Decided I need to get my photo's somewhere safe. I have considerably more than the free 7GB though (which surprised me). The price for 50GB is £16.00 a year so only £1.33 a month. The sync app doesn't work perfectly for how I want to use it but I can get round it by placing symbolic links in the SkyDrive folder. I've had a little look round and can't find anything that comes close. What does everyone else use?

Associate
drop box is very convenient. the program makes a directory on your pc to mirror your cloud data. so anything you change there, will be uploaded/synced. likewise if you amend the data with another pc online, tablet, phone etc. then your main pc is kept up to date.

very nice integration, just use the standard windows interface and it sorts the rest behind the scenes. drag and drop

Associate
Skydrive has it's uses, although the 2GB file limit and the fact it actively scans your photos are both pointlessly irritating. Also seems extremely slow at retrieving files e.g. after a clean install it was pulling stuff down at 1.5Mb... Advantage with dropbox is you can (with tinkering) force it to encrypt all your files before upload automatically - which is convenient.

However, for the cost it's difficult to justify when something like crashplan is literally 1/5th-1/6th the price, has a better client and encryption built in. It's been recommended by a lot of places the past few years for a reason :)

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Google Drive gives me the best speeds in the browser & on the desktop. Speed test a couple of services before making a decision.

Soldato
It would be interesting to see the speed of the desktop client.

It's the desktop client I use mainly. I drag files into it, it probably spends about 20 seconds processing the files depending on what's in there, and then off it goes at 8-10 Mbps. It used to be dog slow but they fixed it sometime last year, for me at least.

Soldato
OP
I've had a thought. I will have a folder on my PC and my Laptop I want to sync but I don't want the folders replicated on both machines as well as the skydrive.

Soldato
I've had a thought. I will have a folder on my PC and my Laptop I want to sync but I don't want the folders replicated on both machines as well as the skydrive.

I thought the SkyDrive folder on the PC was a symbolic link to the cloud storage area. I'd didn't think it would be a direct physical mirror of the cloud storage that syncs.

Man of Honour
Things change again in 8.1 can chose to make files available offline, or make file only available off line (ie not save it to skydrive)

Soldato
I really like SkyDrive and am using this more than Dropbox nowadays, especially as I used to use Live Mesh so have 25GB on SkyDrive for free, and it's only £6 a year for me to upgrade to 45GB... Nice.

Back
Top Bottom