Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I struggle with my rollers as well. I think it'll be one of those things where it will suddenly click into place and i'll be able to do it no problem. Not quite at that point yet though.

Soldato
That's what appeals to me most. I think with a turbo I'd be put off by the hassle of changing wheels. I might just dive in and force myself to learn how to ride them. It'll improve my balance even if it does take a while to get a decent workout from them.

Soldato
Are rollers really that difficult? I'm not mocking, I'm going get either a turbo or rollers for my birthday and figured the scare stories about rollers were overblown! I really fancy rollers, and I'm inclined to think a turbo would be a waste of money when I can go and spin in the gym. Decisions, decisions.

Apart from the very first time on mine when it was a bit Bambi on ice I have had no problem with mine. I can jump on them and get going no problem. I can ride with one hand or no hands, stand and pedal, but not put full effort in yet, push/pulling the bars whilst standing causes the bike to move around quite a bit so I need to get smoother. I have alloy rollers, I read plastic ones have more grip to them, not sure if that's true or not.

Vonhelmet, your talking about the road to the top of winter hill, I know it says no cycling but I never had a problem up there on my mtb. It's a well used descent down the other side known as the San Marino after the restaurant at the bottom.

I did almost 50km tonight, much better weather and I felt better on the bike too.

The male magpies over here when it comes into spring attack you, someone's not told this one it's still winter. They swoop your helmet and hit it with their beaks and feet. If you turn and face them they won't swoop, same if your in a group. It makes you jump when your not expecting it!

Soldato
Was going to go and have one last go at the 8.3mi TT today and noticed it's the official thing tonight £3 entry. Just wondering if you're likely to perform better on a solo run or when there's a bunch of others around you to compete against?

tldr; Go this afternoon or wait until this evening

Soldato
Go with everyone else. It's much more fun when there are other people around.
You'll go much faster if you can see the guy in front of you (and knowing that if you go too slow you'll get passed by the guy behind you :p)

Soldato
How much do you think a set of wheels built with the below spec would cost to buy?

White Industries T11 hubs
Ambrosio Excellight SSC rims (32h)
ACI spokes
ACI brass nipples.

Soldato
Blonde moment! Yes, 31.8mm.

As soon as my bars arrive I'll be able to put my new stem on (Ritchey C260 which can't be mounted with bar tape on the bars....) but the bars have been on order since May! Wiggle say "stock expected Early August 2013" so if you can hang on a few weeks I'll be able to whip my old stem off and send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom