Square gate vs octagonal for fight stick?

Soldato
Currently using a MadCatz TE 2 and it's a square gate but most people I know are using an octagonal one.

What do you think is better and why?

Soldato
It depends on what your used to... Sanwa are famous for having octagon gates. No matter what joystick you get; IMHO the more sanwa parts in it the better the stick will be. But they all take a while to get used to.

I've stopped using my Hori fighters stick and started using their fighting pad. Upside is that movements are better, but harder to plank with the buttons on the pad.

Man of Honour
Sanwa jlf's should always use square gates. That gives you 11% of the sticks 2d surface area for each of the 8 directions. An octagonal gate messes this up and should not be used for fighting games where all 8 directions are critical.

You should never be riding the gate when performing motion with the stick with fighting games so pick the gate with the least restrictions (square).

Soldato
I must say I prefer the octagonal gate.

This probably stems from my favourite SF2 arcade machines which were at Meadowhall back in the early 1990s, which felt like no others I played

I can play perfectly well on both, I just like the notchy feel of the octagonal gate.

Man of Honour
Sf2 cabs would have used happ bats with circular gates. You can buy sticks with those parts and they will feel a lot different to a jlf with an octagonal gate.

Soldato
the science behind it all...
http://www.sl ag coin.com/joystick/restrictors.htm

having said that, the joysticks that I used to use in the arcades; a good 80% of them where mashed and I was far better then that I am now.. oh old age and having a job...

EDIT: you need to remove the spaces in the url as the forum dont like that word.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I started playing Street Fighter 4 last week with a controller, man I sucked, got a joy stick, still sucked... played all weekend with the joy stick, man I'm so much better now. I'm still bad on the grand scheme of things but I'm pulling off stuff I couldn't before. There are still some combos I'm not quick enough with but hopefully that'll come with time.

Based from what I've read I think I'm going to stick with the square gate and not bother changing that, just get used to it.

Soldato
I used an octo gate when learning to use a stick for the first time, I found it easier as I used Ryu who has mostly 'quarter circle motion' moves. Once I got the hang of playing on the stick, it was relatively easy to move over to a square gate. Use whatever you feel most comfortable with tbh.

Associate
Start as you mean to go on and use a square gate. Especially or a game like SF4 whereby the input leniency is basically designed around using a square gate.

Soldato
I have oct gates on all my sticks. Makes it better for other things outside of SF. I like the old era of 8-bit gaming and even some of the re-makes, and games such as pac-man, play so much better on an oct gate, as appose to a square gate.

Spend time trying both and decide what you like. They're not all that expensive. I guess you could say, just keep the sq and turn it into a 4-way, but a true 4-way is too restrictive, so an 8way is the next best thing. Still play SF, and get that 4 way feel for all the other games out there, that play better on 4-way.

Back
Top Bottom