Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
Flooring / sub-floors is my job, plywood won't level the floor at all it will just follow the contours of the floor unless you build it up with bits of ply in the lower part and then ply over the whole floor but with heavy weights I wouldn't recommend it. If it's just a little uneven just a little then use latex, you may need a few coats to build it up. If its more then say 5mm mix it with chippings to keep the cost down. If it's uneven more then 30mm get a builder in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Flooring / sub-floors is my job, plywood won't level the floor at all it will just follow the contours of the floor unless you build it up with bits of ply in the lower part and then ply over the whole floor but with heavy weights I wouldn't recommend it. If it's just a little uneven just a little then use latex, you may need a few coats to build it up. If its more then say 5mm mix it with chippings to keep the cost down. If it's uneven more then 30mm get a builder in.

plywood seems a lot more expensive than the other offering available

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/sheet-materials

can you advise what would be the best thing on a budget?

im going to be re-locating my home gym to another home soon, and thinking i may as well sheet the floor in wood first, then put matting on top for extra protection.

Man of Honour

Yeah - levelling compound is what I've seen/read being used.

However, I think you'll definitely need ply on top of that to stop it breaking up with deadlifting. :)

Regarding an alternative to ply (diy.com is a baaaaaaaaad place for anything: Wickes is cheaper, and a local store will be cheaper still), I went with OSB as it's half the price.

Associate
It was aimed really at Lie, I know he is using the same Fitness-Super Store matting as me which I don't think will allow the latex to break up through it.

I agree for the guy looking at the cheaper crumb rubber matting plywood would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Associate
plywood seems a lot more expensive than the other offering available

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/sheet-materials

can you advise what would be the best thing on a budget?

im going to be re-locating my home gym to another home soon, and thinking i may as well sheet the floor in wood first, then put matting on top for extra protection.

Sorry only just saw your post, I would only use ply, concrete or latex for sub-floors with heavy weights. Other sheets like MDF, chipboard etc breaks like a biscuit as it's brittle on impact. I would still put decent rubber matting on any sub-floor to protect it and the plates though.

Also with the ply you will find better quality sheets of ply have more layers building the thickness of the sheet up, the more layers the better as it will make it tougher with impact.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Chaps, a very quick one.

I've got a Olympro power cage. Are there any pegs I can get that I can use to do dips inside the cage.

I could probably bodge something together by using the safety stops, and go perpendicular to them with more steelwork and lashing them together - but I'd prefer something a little more functional!

Caporegime
OP
Chaps, a very quick one.

I've got a Olympro power cage. Are there any pegs I can get that I can use to do dips inside the cage.

I could probably bodge something together by using the safety stops, and go perpendicular to them with more steelwork and lashing them together - but I'd prefer something a little more functional!

if it aint on ebay, strength shop, fitness superstore or powerhouse fitness.

then it probably aint available

Associate
Caporegime
OP
I didn't know what it would be called, but yes Duvet77 that's what I'm looking for.

you could always get a dip station, or a chin, pull and dip station.

would stop the need to faff about with setting it up and removing it all the time, plus that thing is like £90, so not that much more needed for a dedicated station by a reputable company.

Man of Honour
Yep - second one (LiE's example).

Those lockjaw-type collars are pants and much thicker, meaning less load.

Admittedly, I only think they're pants because - when I used them - they used to slack off and let the plates go flying when I dropped a snatch/clean... so maybe a bad a example .:D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Lockjaws are good for quick on and off pressing movements. But as soon as you're smashing the bar down ala deadlift/oly lifting, they move. I use the clamp type above when deadlifting now too. You do need to use the plates I have in the pic tho for the last plate, as they have a small recess which allows you to turn lever all the way round without it being blocked by the plate (this would happen if the plate was completely flat).

Back
Top Bottom