Salting your steaks...

Soldato
OP
What's in it?

I generally use my BBQ rub on a bucket load of things. Chicken, pork, beef, whatever...

I was going to put together a couple of rubs though, as we keep using this and I fancied a change so will dig out some recipes and give some more a bash I think. I have a ton of those empty spice containers knocking about.

Caporegime
You're doing something seriously wrong if you're drying out the centre of your steak. Thicker steaks are a different eating experience, I keep them at most an inch thick when getting them cut.

It is basic physics, volume to surface area, heat conduction etc

Man of Honour
looks awesome, steak and calamari omg yes

Now in the fridge, going to BBQ it with some creamed collard greens and a slice or two of butternut or similar.

60day aged bone in sirloin with SPG rubbed in
gp2w.jpg

mbz7.jpg

Several hours later
4h5t.jpg

z5m0.jpg

3nuj.jpg

2mins each side on the BBQ, so nice, rich and tender.
I want to get the other steak out and go cook that now, must resist.

Will be buying from ELSco again.

Soldato
Last time I was out in the states, my aunt cooked a steak dinner and used this stuff on the steaks before BBQing them:

IMG_20130724_162833.jpg

They were so awesome I bought myself this massive tub to bring home. I've yet to actually cook myself a steak with it, but have used it on other meats. Next time I have a steak, I'll use this and report back with pictures etc..

Anyone else used it, or tried any other seasoning salts or rubs?

They sell that on the bay. Not cheap at £13.50 delivered but the tub is massive.

Soldato
Amazing really. I usually salt + pepper my steaks, but just before cooking. There was a marked reduction of juices coming from the steak, it was tender and moist on eating. All in all, very impressed. Will do all steaks like this from now on and will probably eat a few more than usual :p

Man of Honour
Amazing really. I usually salt + pepper my steaks, but just before cooking. There was a marked reduction of juices coming from the steak, it was tender and moist on eating. All in all, very impressed. Will do all steaks like this from now on and will probably eat a few more than usual :p

Awesome :)

When I tried this for the first time I was similarly impressed. It's definitely a great way to make the most of your steaks - be they awesome expensive ones or cheaper supermarket ones (which are mostly the kind I eat tbh).

Soldato
Got me some lovely steaks coming from The East London Steak Company for the BBQ tomorrow evening :D. I'll be seasoning them with the East London Classic Steak rub in the morning then leaving them in the fridge before cooking them around 7pm. Once they've been seasoned, is it still necessary to oil them prior to cooking or should the BBQ grate be oiled instead?

Man of Honour
Don't oil the steak, can oil the grill if you want, but with high heat it shouldn't be needed.

Just don't leave it on there long, and you'll love the steak, is it the 60day bone in sirloin?
So nice cooking steak on a bbq, even a smoking hot pan is no where near hot enough. It's a joy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Heres a couple pics from my recent effort. My wifes Fillet was cooked superbly, sadly mine was a little overdone :(

As they came from the farm shop

t3ImI5z.jpg

After a couple hours

G4R1rFh.jpg.png

And cooked, sadly a little overdone but still damn tasty.

DEkLhxn.jpg.png

Made my wifes look a little nicer but presentation has never been my strong point! It looks a little dry from the outside but inside it was excellent.

lJ4cq6J.jpg

Back
Top Bottom