15 months for Stuart Hall, pleaded guilty to 13 assualts

Caporegime
Hall is 83 years old; any custodial sentence is going to represent a large portion of his remaining life and carry the risk of death in prison, which is quite a stiff punishment.

It was a stiff series of crimes he committed. Don't let age blind you this wasn't the case of a young man who accidently pulled a 15 year old at a club purporting to be 18. He targeted a number of victims and took advantage on numerous occasions.

Soldato
Justice has to be 'seen' to be done. In this case I would guess a rather large percentage of people would not agree that it has been, considering the type and number of offenses.

Soldato
What got on my nerves with this sentencing:

1) He was charged on the same level as if he was being charged at the time of the crime - 3 decades or so ago.

2) His age is taken into account for crimes he commited when he was much younger - now he's too old and dying in Jail is bad(?!).

2 Things that in my opinion contradicts each other.

What's worst is a work colleague's Son (18 years old) was charged with GBH as an adult for an incident that happened when he was 16, during a rugby game. (Long story short, post game pile up, he apparently punched a kid, CPS took 2 years before taking action).

Of which, none of what Stuart Hall's judge considered was the same as the judge that sat at that young kid's. Aren't all judges suppose to balance the word of law with the same blind judgement?

Associate
The Judge in this case has a history of lenient sentences for sex offenders and after reading the summing up again it seems to me that the judge is saying that because Halls last known offence was 25 years ago then he should have a lighter sentence. Anthony Russell QC is an idiot with a soft spot for sex offenders it seems.

Caporegime
If he's too old for an appropriate prison term, then slap a huge fine on him too. Seize and sell some of his assets - he's bound to be worth a few quid.

He's not too old for a prison sentence, age shouldn't be a consideration, and he shouldn't get away without an appropriate jail sentence because he has money, the very idea of that utterly sickens me. Because he's rich we'll settle for giving him a reduced sentence and taking some of his money?

Soldato
He's not too old for a prison sentence, age shouldn't be a consideration, and he shouldn't get away without an appropriate jail sentence because he has money, the very idea of that utterly sickens me. Because he's rich we'll settle for giving him a reduced sentence and taking some of his money?
I agree, but one of the mitigating factors that keeps appearing is his age. The thought of him dying in jail doesn't bother me at all.
The very fact that he is rich means a financial punishment wouldn't affect him anyway.
Depends how much you take. Plus, if he'd been caught and convicted at the time there's a good chance he wouldn't have accumulated that money anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is an element of punishment but it's not their only function. I wouldn't even say it was the primary function.

I would say it's function was, in decreasing priority:

1) punitive;

2) to prevent people entering into criminal activity;

3) to prevent criminals persisting with criminal activity;

4) rehabilitation.

2 and 3 only flow as a result of 1.

Soldato
So he'll spend a bit over a year in jail rather than just a bit under a year. That's fine, but it's not exactly a million miles away from the original sentence.

The judges are constrained by the laws in force at the time of the offence though, the maximum sentence available is ridiculously short.

Soldato
The judges are constrained by the laws in force at the time of the offence though, the maximum sentence available is ridiculously short.

i did not know of this. i presume anyone convicted of these same crimes now would get a far longer sentence?

either way, he's got off very lightly. given his age, he'll have an easy time in jail and in the intervening years, he's got to live a full life outside with complete disregard for his victims. :(

Soldato
i did not know of this. i presume anyone convicted of these same crimes now would get a far longer sentence?

either way, he's got off very lightly. given his age, he'll have an easy time in jail and in the intervening years, he's got to live a full life outside with complete disregard for his victims. :(

Aye, I only found this out because of BBC breakfast this morning! Apparently the maximum sentence when he committed most of the acts was 2 years, nowadays it's 10 years. I think the only reason the judges were able to extend it was by having one of the sentences not run consecutively.

Back
Top Bottom