I do not know which LED replacement bulbs to buy :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
I appreciate your replies Nightglow, but this doesnt seem to be getting through - i have digital switching. Since i said this you are still quoting using multiple dimmers together, talking about 2 way switching and linking me to basic non digital switches which is clouding the bulb type issue. :(

2 way switching doesnt exist with digital control by its very nature, i am not sure you understand how switching works! :)

Soldato
I appreciate your replies Nightglow, but this doesnt seem to be getting through - i have digital switching. Since i said this you are still quoting using multiple dimmers together, talking about 2 way switching and linking me to basic non digital switches which is clouding the bulb type issue. :(

2 way switching doesnt exist with digital control by its very nature, i am not sure you understand how switching works! :)

Well, you made no mention of digital switching in you post:confused:, but it should have clicked with me when I read your post.:o

Soldato
See this thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18457665&highlight=led+lamps

Cree are considered the best LED lamps, latest ones have a life of 100k hours, but beware a while back there where cheap copies of Cree on Ebay, those you listed seem rather cheap.
I know peep who bought Cree only for them to fail after a few months, that might be down to the higher wattage = more heat & light fitting used can't dissapate the heat, so the lamp overheats.
Also make sure your using a Trailing Edge Dimmer if you want to dim the lamps.

I have started using Megaman 6W GU10 LED Dimmable lamps, found them excellent.

My 12 x ebay 9w CREE (240v) LED's have been running great for well over a year now and they are controlled by a basic mains (3-way) dimmer!

One of my non dimmable 240v CREE's did however fail, but after taking it apart and rigging the LED's direct to a DC source it became clear that it was a failure of the control gear as the LED's worked perfect.
I put it down to how they were housed as it was poor with regards to heat dissipation, since making a few adjustments to reduce the heat I've had no more failures in nearly a year now :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Cree do not make any LED retrofit lamps that are generally available in the UK. They've recently launched a few for the US market but these are not yet available in the UK.

The products linked will use Cree LEDs but the electronics, lenses and lamp body will be generic, cheap and Chinese.

It's really worth sticking to a reputable brand for LED retrofits (Phillips, Sylvania, GE etc). These are much more expensive but you will get a quality product. Non-branded bulbs are unlikely to last the quoted lifetime and may significantly underperform in other areas (light output, power draw). Additionally, due to the lower power draw of any LED compared to traditional bulbs, the branded retrofits will still work out cheaper than incandescent/halogen.

It's a bit of wild west market at the moment, and there's load of poor quality products out there.

Soldato
Jez, silly question but have you considered calling who ever did you lighting install assuming it wasn't you? They can probably give you a straight up answer about swapping to LED's without all the guess work going on in this thread!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
I did it all and then had my friend certificate it all. He wont have a clue about LED lamps and will suggest i buy any which say they are dimmable and that his wholesaler happen to stock :p

Associate
These are probably your best bet:

Philips MasterLED spot

Probably your best bet for a retrofit low voltage downlighter. One thing to note is that most LED MR16 fittings have fans in them which you probably won't notice unless the room is dead silent.

Soldato
My 12 x ebay 9w CREE (240v) LED's have been running great for well over a year now and they are controlled by a basic mains (3-way) dimmer!

One of my non dimmable 240v CREE's did however fail, but after taking it apart and rigging the LED's direct to a DC source it became clear that it was a failure of the control gear as the LED's worked perfect.
I put it down to how they were housed as it was poor with regards to heat dissipation, since making a few adjustments to reduce the heat I've had no more failures in nearly a year now :)

The ones you recommended in the other thread failed for a lot of people. I think they must have changed supplier or something, but i wouldn't keep recommending them as the ones they now supply are useless.

The ebay store was also not willing to give a refund and instead wanted me to order more bulbs and they would send 2 for every new one I ordered. I ended up just putting it down to a bad experience and just avoiding all the cheap 'cree' bulbs on ebay.

Soldato
The ones you recommended in the other thread failed for a lot of people. I think they must have changed supplier or something, but i wouldn't keep recommending them as the ones they now supply are useless.

The ebay store was also not willing to give a refund and instead wanted me to order more bulbs and they would send 2 for every new one I ordered. I ended up just putting it down to a bad experience and just avoiding all the cheap 'cree' bulbs on ebay.

Well the ones I got from ebay were the more expensive dimmable ones which all 12 have been fine for well over a year now :confused:

1 of the 8 non dimmable ones failed but like I said that was because of over-heating damaging the control gear, since fixing that they have also been fine :confused:
People need to make sure that plenty of room and insulation is removed from around LED bulbs housing as the high power ones will get pretty damn hot and over time damage both the LEDs and more likely the control gear (Rotundity CREE's are pretty hardy)

Back
Top Bottom