1st car recommendations for 23yr old. Something nippy?

Permabanned
to be honest, 1.2 cars are fairly nippy nowadays, even back in the day of nova's and stuff my mates 1.2 was fine.

Having been in possession of a brand new 1.2 Honda Jazz the other day, I can categorically say that is not even remotely true, unless you're comparing it to a skateboard. 1.2 engines are hard work, underpowered and pretty much always mated to an unrefined box of a car that seems designed to continuously remind you that for all the screaming noise the little bugger makes as you try desperately to maintain NSL up a hill, you should have stumped up the few extra quid on insurance for something that is less likely to force you down to B&Q for a length of hose to put down the exhaust pipe.

This experience has not changed in any 1.2 car I've either owned, driven or feared for my life as a passenger in. They're for driving to the corner shop and back in, anything else is relentless driving misery in pretty much every aspect of ownership, besides that letter from the insurer to remind you that all of that abject misery is worth the £100 you saved on your premium.

Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but the wounds are still fresh. :p

Soldato
Must be that the Jazz is just a crap car, But in my circumstances when i was 17 a 1.2 was really max I could go due to insurance prices.

But for what it is, I do not feel my 1.2 clio is slow, Ok yes, It does need working very hard to get some sort of performance out of it, But I commute 60miles a day (Mix of mostly M4 and Dually), it happily sits over NSL hill or no hill, When taking it through lanes It amazes me how well it grips, it may be a 1.2, but I've had huge amounts of fun in it.

But in the OPs circumstances, I reckon he can definately get away with a 1.6+, Just look at the insurance of what car you fancy and pick what you think is best in terms of performance/Money

Associate
For some reason everybody things "Big engine family car? Yes, they'll insure you because they'll think you're dull and have no friends!". Realistically your first year of insurance is going to be hell regardless, and are you really trying to tell me that something like a 2.0ltr mondeo is lower than group 6 insurance just because it's big? No, it's like 11-13 in reality.

As for a first car, you'll struggle to have much variety as the slightest of increases will have a greater effect on your insurance. You're slightly older than the typical 18 year old newly-passed so it might be a bit better for you but I know on my 1.2 Punto at 18 they wanted £3500 whereas a 1.4 Rover 25 (in reality not really faster at all due to weight, etc) they wanted £4000+. Luckily I got my punto for £2200 in the end with LV.

Most small cars will be nippy now anyway, don't be lulled into the big engine hype. You're better with a smaller engine but lighter car as your first one than a petrol-guzzling heavy car that feels sluggish. My Punto gets up to 60 in no time and it holds its own on the motorway, etc.

I'd suggest a 1.4 Civic/Ibiza/Polo/Fiesta if you want something reasonably nippy. I've been driving for just over 2 years and I'm now looking to buy a Fiesta ST at the age of 20. Insurance is £800 fully comp compared to my punto at £650 TP,F+T.

Associate
Yes so they tend to still be more expensive or they don't quote at all. Perhaps after a year or two but as a first car I think they sting you regardless of what it is. A first year driver in a 2 litre mondeo could cause more potential damage than a new driver in a ford KA.

Permabanned
Must be that the Jazz is just a crap car, But in my circumstances when i was 17 a 1.2 was really max I could go due to insurance prices.

But for what it is, I do not feel my 1.2 clio is slow, Ok yes, It does need working very hard to get some sort of performance out of it, But I commute 60miles a day (Mix of mostly M4 and Dually), it happily sits over NSL hill or no hill, When taking it through lanes It amazes me how well it grips, it may be a 1.2, but I've had huge amounts of fun in it.

But in the OPs circumstances, I reckon he can definately get away with a 1.6+, Just look at the insurance of what car you fancy and pick what you think is best in terms of performance/Money

I'm glad you're pleased with yours. :)

I had my 1.2 at 17 for something like 8 months before I couldn't take it anymore and decided bending over and presenting myself to the insurance company for a 1.9 was the lesser of two evils.

Soldato
didn't put a scratch on my first car at all, didn't crash, didn't get crashed into, didn't reverse into anything, its not hard. ;) and now I got something a lot more fun to drive whilst costing almost no more to insure. most small cars tend to be quite nippy though due to the fact they usually don't weigh a lot, since my first car was also a Fiat Punto, they are fun little things to drive and are quite nippy around roads that don't rely so much on out right power.

Associate
didn't put a scratch on my first car at all, didn't crash, didn't get crashed into, didn't reverse into anything, its not hard. ;) and now I got something a lot more fun to drive whilst costing almost no more to insure. most small cars tend to be quite nippy though due to the fact they usually don't weigh a lot, since my first car was also a Fiat Punto, they are fun little things to drive and are quite nippy around roads that don't rely so much on out right power.

Aye I would agree for a 1.2 8v 60bhp Punto mine is surprisingly fun compared to others I've driven. There are build quality issues and niggly problems though and I'll be happy to get rid of mine now. They're great to throw around though and surprisingly easy to cruise at 60/70mph.

Associate
OP
First car choice should be governed by whatever car comes back with the cheapest quote. Especially if you're looking at spending £3k all in. I'd imagine half the budget will be insurance alone.

No it's 3k just for the car. On the insurance I've looked at loads of cars, I can go up to a 1.6

Back
Top Bottom