BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-BMW-...9299059?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item46116148f3

I've been looking at this car but would like to know how unreliable the N53 engine really is.
I'm aware the BMW warranty is considered a must but does this mean it's a liability if I want to drive abroad?
Have BMW done anything to fix the problems associated with this engine?
Will it really average 39mpg?

Can anyone here with experience of the engine help me out?

BMW warranty is amazing abroad if you have emergency service. Hire cars, hotels, the lot.

Soldato
Have you tried www.maindealerdiscount.co.uk ?

Vines Redhill will do a Brake Fluid Change for £76.03 via that site.

Thanks for the link, good discounts to be had there. Will have to try and remember that one, having said that i recently had a oil change only service along with the standard scope and it was cheaper than what is shown there by the same dealer

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally looking to replace my age old 16:9 sat nav screen out of the E46. I need MP3 and I'd like a better navigation solution. The Intravee system interested me but that's almost £200-250 for iDevice integration - which I don't own any so factor on the cost of a device and it gets pricey. Also, it doesn't do anything with the navigation.

I'm currently looking at one of the aftermarket Dynavin clones. The Android ones look pants and really, who can drive and fiddle with non-optimised vanilla android system?!

Fox, I believe you purchased one of the Win CE units (think it may have been Dynavin one?) How are you finding yours? The one I'm looking at is the newer Eonon device which runs an ARM chip and seems to be quite quick and can be modded to run Tom Tom.

Associate
Atari, I'm currently looking for a similar kind of unit for an e39. Currently got my eye on the Andrive system. Being a newer version of Android and being rooted means there's a bit more flexibility on what it can be used for, in particular you can hook up an OBD cable and run Torque.

Man of Honour
I did endless research into these things and ended up buying the Dynavin model. It was a massive ripoff but it was the only one which look close to OEM and simply worked. The others all had crappy plastics, weird styling, bizarre interfaces and other issues.

I'm happy with it - I simply hit 'Nav' when I drive off each morning and my display is a nice map.

P1060727.jpg

Man of Honour
It's a Chinese nav system, why would anyone expect any different? Buy it from a UK seller, rely on SOGA and thats pretty much all you can do. Anyone expecting some sort of ultra quality product from a massive OEM is rather deluded.

I doubt you'll find a single 'perfect' system from China.

You buy one of these knowing that the only 'support' you will get is from whoever you buy it from in the UK. You need to happy with it how performs out of the box and accept it won't get updates, improvements or factory backing. It's a risk you take - the pros are an OEM-ish looking system with your choice of bang up to date modern navigation. The cons are exactly what anyone who did any homework would expect buying a product designed in China by a small Chinese firm.

Personally if my car had the OEM 16:9 system I'd not be replacing it - I'd put up with the crappy nav and get an intravee.

Last edited:
Soldato
Atari, I'm currently looking for a similar kind of unit for an e39. Currently got my eye on the Andrive system. Being a newer version of Android and being rooted means there's a bit more flexibility on what it can be used for, in particular you can hook up an OBD cable and run Torque.

[TW]Fox;24690932 said:
It's a Chinese nav system, why would anyone expect any different? Buy it from a UK seller, rely on SOGA and thats pretty much all you can do. Anyone expecting some sort of ultra quality product from a massive OEM is rather deluded.

I doubt you'll find a single 'perfect' system from China.

You buy one of these knowing that the only 'support' you will get is from whoever you buy it from in the UK. You need to happy with it how performs out of the box and accept it won't get updates, improvements or factory backing. It's a risk you take - the pros are an OEM-ish looking system with your choice of bang up to date modern navigation. The cons are exactly what anyone who did any homework would expect buying a product designed in China by a small Chinese firm.

Personally if my car had the OEM 16:9 system I'd not be replacing it - I'd put up with the crappy nav and get an intravee.

I'm running into the same issues searching for something that'll do what I want it to do without causing me endless headaches.

The Dynavin has to be the best out of the bunch, but the price is really putting me off massively.

Then there's the Andrive unit, which from what I can see, doesn't offer much more than the Chinese units, though does have 'UK support'.
It's the horrid Android systems where both operating systems are running independently of each other that sound terrible. They're all pretty poor from what I've read, silly issues like the Bluetooth not being included in the Android ROM so you can't use built in BT when you're in the Android side of things, and the long bootup times for the Android system (apparently about 45 secs or so). Throw in a whole host of various niggles and the units seem buggy and just generally poor quality for the insane prices being charged for them.

So, that leaves me with Windows CE based units which isn't a problem for what I want it to do. They boot up quickly, there's minimal fuss with their usage as they're fairly 'basic', and they're priced a lot lower than the Android ones.

In this category, it's a toss up between the budget Enco B146 which is the more basic model, or the Eonon D5150 (iirc) which is more powerful and has the better UI of the two (though still not great). Both come in between the £200-250 mark, though the Eonon has much improved iDevice handling facilities (not important to me as I don't own one). Both however aren't without their minor issues such as the unit not remembering what it was last doing if you turn the key without turning the HU off manually.

I'm leaning towards the Eonon unit, though I'm still considering the Intravee II system - it's a toss up between the two, though I think the Eonon pips it for the added features like BT streaming, CD/DVD MP3 support, flash memory support, etc.

Edit: Quick vid showing a 'hands on' of the Eonon unit I referred to earlier:
Eonon D5150

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine is a CE unit for exactly that reason. I plays ipod/radio in the background and I simply run it in Nav mode all the time - iGo Primo is fantastic.

I tried an EONON unit for my parents 530i - it went back under the DSR as it seemed fundamentally flawed. Really basic stuff that the Dynavin manages the Eonon couldnt, it wouldnt remember what mode you were in last time you used it so it was pot luck whether it started in radio mode, or TV mode (I had no TV tuner so that was useful), etc etc. Volume controls were also odd - it was either too quiet or too loud from what I remember.

Personally I think you are mad - crap nav aside an Intravee and the 16:9 widscreen beats the crap out of all of the Chinese units for everything non-satnav. Buy an Intravee and an iPod.

Back
Top Bottom