Overheating Clutch BMW X1

Associate
My sister has just got a BMW X1 and after 450 miles has had it break down with the no drive and the clutch pedal to the floor, now the dealer are saying she has overheated the clutch, despite it only doing 450 miles (despite only doing about 100 of those miles herself) I find it hard to believe that she could so this on a flat road, and in the last 10 years has never had to change a clutch in any car she's owned.
Even the recovery driver said there was no way she could have done it, and both he and my nephew reported fluid dripping from the bottom of the car, sounds to me like they are trying to get out of a warranty claim.

Associate
OP
it was less than 450 miles from BRAND NEW, it's on some work scheme as her hubby works for mini, the stealers are saying its through riding the clutch I can't see it personally, she's never driven like that in any car I've been in her with, and they haven't even changed it just thrown it back in!

Associate
OP
I really can't see on a brand new BMX this could happen unless there are faulty parts, the recovery driver and my nephew saw fluid leaking so surely they can see this in the bell housing, worse thing is that they have no faith in the car now, and my sister doesn't want to drive it again, she want's her 13year old saxo back!!

Soldato
Blown the slave cylinder out by the sounds of it. New stuff can have teething problems fair enough, but them trying to bull their way out of it? What a crock.

Man of Honour
If its leaking fluid then its nothing to do with an overheated clutch, its a fault in the hydraulic system, as Clarkey says Slave cylinder is the likely culprit. An overheated clutch would most probably slip as its glazed, and the pedal definately would not be going to the floor.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
You could drag the clutch, cook the slave and make it leak. A Saxo would be a cable clutch, yeah? If she rests her foot on the pedal it probably wouldn't harm the Saxo but could on something with hydraulic.

Just sayin'

Associate
OP
well she's had a 3 series courtesy car all week and hasn't killed that, and she's driven that way more than she had driven the X1, her hubby is dealing with it, seems that the scheme is covered by some sort of insurance policy (as they have new car every 9 months as a employee of BMW group)

Associate
OP
after getting the HR department at Mini involved (don't know how relevant their input is) the stealers have agreed to change clutch and insurance company are covering costs.
Let's hope this is an end to the farce...

Soldato
after getting the HR department at Mini involved (don't know how relevant their input is) the stealers have agreed to change clutch and insurance company are covering costs.
Let's hope this is an end to the farce...

It's out of order that you have to go to these efforts to get it done. It's an outrage that she was blamed for the car failing!

Associate
OP
bit of an update, after a considerable amount of phone calls and getting the HR department at Mini involved (as her hubby got it through a work scheme) the clutch is being changed but as there were none in the country one had to be sent from Germany, she's done 800 miles in the courtesy 3 series and that still has it's clutch intact lol.
It still stinks that they should have to fight so hard for something that is not there fault!

Back
Top Bottom