Anyone upgraded to DAB?

Commissario
Thinking of swapping the stock head unit in the Clio for a better aftermarket one, and I'd ideally like Aux/USB in for iPod, Bluetooth for streaming from phone (and if it could do calls that would be a plus), and I then started thinking about DAB.

It seems that they're available from as little as £50 all the way up to £300+. Don't have room for a double din, so was looking at this Pioneer. I expect it doesn't come with a DAB aerial, nor would it come with the necessary kit for making calls (a mic, and whatever else is needed!)

Has anyone done this? What did you go for? Any advice would be fab.

Associate
Yep, mine was a jvc unit. I bought a separate antenna. It was the internal one you stick flat to the windscreen worked surprisingly well.

Did not have bluetooth this about 3 years or longe ago.

Permabanned
DAB isn't an "upgrade", it's a con designed to get everyone onto digital so they can flog off the FM band (well it's going to local radio first until they decide nobody is going to bother listening).
Cramming in a bunch of stations at a reduced bitrate means it's going to sound worse than FM, the whole idea is barmy.

What really stinks is that the BBC are pushing DAB constantly, but what they don't tell you is that DAB is obsolete and will be replaced by DAB+ sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had it as factory fit in the 5 Series and got it in the Lexus too. Only ever use it for the cricket, so can't really comment on sound quality as voice is fine.
From what I saw about retrofits you have to mess around with aerials etc.

Soldato
I just bought a DAB+ JVC from halfords for £60 - click here. Haven't got round to installing the aerial yet but will elt you know how I get on. I got it mainly as it has a rear Aux in that I needed, the DAB was a bonus :p

Soldato
Has anyone done this? What did you go for? Any advice would be fab.
I went for this and this in my 2003 Focus and, while slightly more expensive that some of the other options out there, couldn't be more happier with my decision.

I did look at the Pioneer unit you've linked to but I preferred the iPod integration of the Alpine and didn't want a USB port on the front of the headunit - ultimately I guess that's going to come down to personal preference though.

In terms of reception with my set-up, thus far I've not found any real need for a dedicated DAB aerial - but then again I mainly listen to BBC Radio 6 Music, 5 Live Sport Extra and some other BBC digital stations and I believe they tend to have better reception than most.

Whatever you do get, pick it up from DAB On Wheels as their pre and after-sales service is second to none.

Man of Honour
We have it in my girlfriends Mini. Not noticed any difference in sound quality over FM, but you... get more stations. Nice to have but wouldnt have paid extra for it.

Commissario
OP
Thanks for the advice guys. Bluetooth is the main priority, probs should change the title, but thought DAB would be a good idea as I do listen to some stations that are digital only.

Caporegime
Thanks for the advice guys. Bluetooth is the main priority, probs should change the title, but thought DAB would be a good idea as I do listen to some stations that are digital only.

DAB is great for the variety, I have a pioneer in mine and just use my phone to do what I want (via bluetooth) works a treat too. Need to get round to installing the mic soon!

Soldato
I've got it in the golf, it's great when there is coverage, useless when there isn't any.

Which is anywhere built up, with trees, hills, open land, clear sky, a y in the day....

Associate
I have a Sony CDX-DAB700U, it doesn't have any capacity for phone calls but it is DAB+, and has USB/Aux input/Ipod control. It came with an amplified aerial that sticks to the inside of the glass.

But.....

I 100% recommend that you use an amplified external antenna for DAB, it will make a world of difference to reception. My HU has an amplified output for the aerial through the actual SMA connection and it has the usual ant/aux wires from the stereo.

clicky clicky tap tap

I like DAB and think it's just as good as FM with a decent signal.

Soldato
DAB isn't an "upgrade", it's a con designed to get everyone onto digital so they can flog off the FM band (well it's going to local radio first until they decide nobody is going to bother listening).
Cramming in a bunch of stations at a reduced bitrate means it's going to sound worse than FM, the whole idea is barmy.

What really stinks is that the BBC are pushing DAB constantly, but what they don't tell you is that DAB is obsolete and will be replaced by DAB+ sometime in the future.

I was surprised at how many DAB stations are in mono. Improved sound quality my bottom.

Soldato
I think it's a total waste of time. It comes as standard in the ST3 but the signal compared to FM is a crock. It cuts out all the time, even on the M5!

I don't use it at all, I've saved all my stations to FM and the signal is much better.

Associate
Got it in my 2013 Civic as standard. 1st time I have it and never want to go back. Awesome, crisp and clear especially when I used to MW Radio 5 live.

Never have cut outs, so clear for 1st week I didn't recognise the presenters ;)

Associate
Got it in my 2013 Civic as standard. 1st time I have it and never want to go back. Awesome, crisp and clear especially when I used to MW Radio 5 live.

Never have cut outs, so clear for 1st week I didn't recognise the presenters ;)

What trim level is this. I haven't got it in my civic and according to the website its not in any??

Back
Top Bottom