Official Home Gym Building Thread

Permabanned
Guys, how much would I be looking at for a decent squat rack/cage.Bench.Olympic bar with few plates and some dumbbells.

Me and close friend are.getting ticked off with local gym.Its always mobbed and there is only one squat rack which is also used for bench so always a cluster ****.

Would be looking at getting above over few months time and using my grand ads garage so we can just do basics like bench, squats and dead lifts then start adding stuff further down line.

Cheers.

Caporegime
OP
Guys, how much would I be looking at for a decent squat rack/cage.Bench.Olympic bar with few plates and some dumbbells.

Me and close friend are.getting ticked off with local gym.Its always mobbed and there is only one squat rack which is also used for bench so always a cluster ****.

Would be looking at getting above over few months time and using my grand ads garage so we can just do basics like bench, squats and dead lifts then start adding stuff further down line.

Cheers.

How long is a piece of string? are you looking for brand new or second hand gear? branded or unbranded? adjustable, olympic or seperate dumbells? adjustable or flat bench? dip bars or pull up bars included? lat and low pulley included? etc, etc.

why don't you try reading the thread, you should know the price of things by roughly scanning through it all.

Caporegime
OP
Soldato
You can get a larger 6x4ft and 17mm thick mat for a few quid more off ebay. I recently bought one direct from the manufacturer. Luckily for me, it was only 8 miles away, but even with delivery, it's only around £7 more than the £30 i paid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered the GYMANO should be here tomorrow, also ordered 6foot by 4foor rubber matting from the bay. It's 14mm thick which will do :)

Associate
Just a heads up for anyone considering a Gymano bar don't do it, I cheaped out on a oly Tricep bar and went for theirs. The sleeves wobble badly and the silver/chrome paint flakes into your hands.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Just a heads up for anyone considering a Gymano bar don't do it, I cheaped out on a oly Tricep bar and went for theirs. The sleeves wobble badly and the silver/chrome paint flakes into your hands.

i was considering their HEAVY DUTY OLYMPIC SEATED PREACHER CURL BENCH for ARMS/BICEPS/DUMBBELLS/BARBELL - £79

even though i have the attachment for my bench, it isn't as good as a standalone item.

and

HEAVY DUTY OLYMPIC 2" (50 MM) WEIGHT PLATE/DISC + BAR RACK/TREE/STORAGE/STAND - £55

i already have 2 weight tree's but they aren't enough.

but if it turned out to be crap, i would always hate myself and wished i had spent the extra on something from body solid tbh. so i reckon i shall just wait it out and get what i know i like.

Last edited:
Associate
I would stay clear and stick with body-solid.

I am just going to stick with Body-solid, Ironmaster, Powertec etc and stick with getting any bars and plates from fitness-superstore. Not going to bother trying to save a few quid on ebay next time.

Not sure what your current two tree's are, but I have the Body-solid one with the two bar holders and it's really good.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I would stay clear and stick with body-solid.

I am just going to stick with Body-solid, Ironmaster, Powertec etc and stick with getting any bars and plates from fitness-superstore. Not going to bother trying to save a few quid on ebay next time.

Not sure what your current two tree's are, but I have the Body-solid one with the two bar holders and it's really good.

one is body solid (but i stupidly ordered the "standard" one instead of olympic, and the amount it was going to cost to send me back would have been so high i was better off just keeping it) it gets used for my smaller weights anyhow up to 15 kg and is full. the bar holders on it are useless obviously.

the other weight tree is most likely a gymratz one, no idea bought it second hand and it is unbranded, from a commercial gym which had closed down, and it is SOLID, but again it is stacked with fractional plates at the top and many 20 and 25kg's at the bottom. it has 6 bar holders on it and it more than enough for me.

i don't really need another stand, but was thinking i could sell my standard one on, just annoys me that i bought the standard one by mistake, but i have already had it for so many years now.

I wouldn't really touch much stuff from ironmaster apart from their dumbells and kettlebells tbh, the other stuff is pricey for what you get. people do buy their benches and stuff but imo, there are better deals out there for that kind of stuff.

body solid is just hands down my favourite in terms of quality.

Soldato
My GYMANO rack arrived yesterday, been building it last night so far feels very strong and well built. Just need to add the pulley system and I'm good to go. Pictures to come :)

Caporegime
OP
My GYMANO rack arrived yesterday, been building it last night so far feels very strong and well built. Just need to add the pulley system and I'm good to go. Pictures to come :)

i did some more digging into the gymano rack and it only holds like 200kg safely.

if you failed a 150kg squat, i reckon they would be destroyed.

powertec on the other hand, as you can see below wouldn't even sniffle at 150 kg

Product Features
L=51" W=50" HT=83" WT=265 LBS
> Weight Capacity = (Rack = 1000 LBS, Dip Bars = 400 LBS)
Maximum User Weight For The;

Chin Up Bars. 400 LBS

The Dipping Bars. 400 LBS

The Long Bar Catchers/Safeties. 1000 LBS

The Short Bar Catchers/Safeties. 1000 LBS
Ideal For Use With A 7' Weight Bar

Soldato
i did some more digging into the gymano rack and it only holds like 200kg safely.

if you failed a 150kg squat, i reckon they would be destroyed.

powertec on the other hand, as you can see below wouldn't even sniffle at 150 kg

Product Features
L=51" W=50" HT=83" WT=265 LBS
> Weight Capacity = (Rack = 1000 LBS, Dip Bars = 400 LBS)
Maximum User Weight For The;

Chin Up Bars. 400 LBS

The Dipping Bars. 400 LBS

The Long Bar Catchers/Safeties. 1000 LBS

The Short Bar Catchers/Safeties. 1000 LBS
Ideal For Use With A 7' Weight Bar

The GYMANO is a re branded valorfitness bd7. If you look at the American rainforest website you'll see the bar catchers hold 500lbs (226KG) and the lat pull its 250lbs (113KG). I can't see myself hitting them numbers any time soon ;) As for failing a squat at 150KG I know my limits, I'd know when I had some weight on my shoulders ready for a squat weather I could do it or not.

By the way got a 6foot by 4foot matt 14mm thick from the bay, it's excellent so I've ordered another.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think my Olympro cage is a rebranded gymano.

I'm currently struggling with a 75kgs squat. So i'm not too concerned with a failled 150kgs squat (as that's years away!)

Caporegime
OP
The GYMANO is a re branded valorfitness bd7. If you look at the American rainforest website you'll see the bar catchers hold 500lbs (226KG) and the lat pull its 250lbs (113KG). I can't see myself hitting them numbers any time soon ;) As for failing a squat at 150KG I know my limits, I'd know when I had some weight on my shoulders ready for a squat weather I could do it or not.

By the way got a 6foot by 4foot matt 14mm thick from the bay, it's excellent so I've ordered another.

226KG stationary weight does not equal 226KG of moving weight.

if you look into kettlebell training you will soon find out how quickly a weight becomes an increased force when it is moving.

basic physics

Force = Mass x Acceleration

this is why skinny boxer's can knock people out, it's nothing to do with the mass of their arms, it's how fast their arm is moving which matters more than the weight of it.

Soldato
226KG stationary weight does not equal 226KG of moving weight.

if you look into kettlebell training you will soon find out how quickly a weight becomes an increased force when it is moving.

basic physics

Force = Mass x Acceleration

this is why skinny boxer's can knock people out, it's nothing to do with the mass of their arms, it's how fast their arm is moving which matters more than the weight of it.

Yep I know that I'm an amateur boxer :) My main point is I wouldn't even try to squat something so heavy knowing I couldn't do it. The safety catchers are there 'just in case'. TBH I don't like the idea of dropping any weight and I can't see myself ever dropping weight when squatting. They'd only drop if something happened to me like a pulled muscle or a moth flew in my face

Soldato
I currently do chins by putting my squat rack to max height and bending my knees - not ideal! I workout in my garage which is very low ceiling'ed, max of 7.5 feet. It also is a naff build with dodgy looking brick work.

So I was thinking of getting a free-standing tower. Two questions - a) does anyone have any experience with these sort of towers? Clearly it either needs to be just the right height or adjustable b) are they likely to support hanging a punch bag from it? That's a longer term idea but I am tempted to throw in some heavy bag work as some stress relief / cardio.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Back
Top Bottom