Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[Damien];24769734 said:
I don't get the whole aero thing on bikes. Surely the surface area of the front of the bike is already pretty aero, especially considering the great big squishy lump sat on top of it.

The gains to be had are very low. However, the are about the same as the gains from the weight weenie arms race.

It's all snake oil but it makes for some lovely bikes.

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;24769766 said:
The gains to be had are very low. However, the are about the same as the gains from the weight weenie arms race.

I just demolished half a large pizza hut hot dog crust pizza, and half a small one (don't ask), followed by two portions of cookie dough and ice cream for my tea. I could probably counteract any savings I'd make through hundreds of pounds of weight weenying in one meal so I don't bother.

Soldato
The new Felt AR frame is a whole new design this year. Looks very slick and has hints of the F series in it. Lower chainstay mounted brake and Madone style seat stays/no bridge.

Soldato
Did anyone else see this?

RideLondontheft---pixelated.jpg

A guy doing the Freecycle during Ride London weekend had his Trek Madone stolen from Green Park. Due to his bike having the numbers on it, it was photographed by the official photographers, complete with the thief on board!

I think they want as much publicity now to try and work out who it is. Should be pretty easy, just needs to go viral.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/539908/ridelondon-bike-thief-caught-on-camera.html#

Soldato
goto google type "strava ocuk"
first link on google.

strava club search wouldn't find it for me no matter what I set my location as

Yeah, this is the only way I could find it. The search function on Strava only works via location, so I guess if you put Newcastle-under-Lyme on it then it MIGHT turn up.

Just do what arknor said though!

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24769766 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if you're a person that would actually get measurable benefits from an aero bike then they would be provided by your team sponsor!

Agreed they make for very nice bikes though.

Soldato
Speaking of which, last night I put levers, pedals and the front brake on the S1. And I adjusted the saddle height, position and level.

The front seat clamp bolt is a thumb screw so you have to reach under the saddle to tighten it by hand. It's a bugger. Since I've got a cut out saddle on I might just swap it out for a standard one and put an allen key though the cut out.

Not much clearance on the fork; I have to have the cartridges all the way up to the top of the calliper arms in order to hit the brake track.

Needs cables and bar tape now.

Also, I though my bag was light today.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24771011 said:
The front seat clamp bolt is a thumb screw so you have to reach under the saddle to tighten it by hand. It's a bugger. Since I've got a cut out saddle on I might just swap it out for a standard one and put an allen key though the cut out.

My planet-x tt bike has a similar clamp. Allen bolt on the back and a thumbscrew on the front.
I think you're supposed to do use the thumb screw to set the level of the saddle then do up the allen bolt to hold it in place?

Soldato
Yeah but the issue is that the level set by the thumbscrew is the altered when you tighten the allen bolt. You've got to over compensate and tilt the saddle forward and hope that the tension add with the allen bolt brings it back level otherwise you've got to slacken it all off and start again.

Soldato
I see, maybe yours isnt as well designed as the planet-x, mine doesnt do that.
It's this style of clamp.
Set the maximum nose height of the saddle with the thumb screw, then as you tighten the bolt at the back, it starts to pivot around the curved platebut the front can never come higher than the limit you set, so the saddle is at the perfect angle.

Soldato
Can you get a finger + thumb in either side from underneath the front? Maybe your split saddle is too wide at the front to give you proper access? My PX saddle has a fairly narrow nose.
Try holding the rear of the saddle down as you adjust the thumb screw so that you can see what the level will be like when the rear is tight.

Soldato
Headset bearings could have gone if it's torqued up correctly?

Took delivery of my SRAM Force shifters today, I bloody love BR classifieds. :D Total Force groupset has cost me:

Shifters: £100
Brakes: £45
Chainset: £110 (actually new from Merlin)
Front Mech: £15

Just need a rear mech for £40~ and I'm set for £310!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom