Japan Releases Pepsi Flavoured Crisps

Associate
I work for a confectionary company and trust me, I've developed loads of 'weird' products but marketing and sales team (at least in the UK) are about as adventurous as a Koala Bear. Nothing to do with regulation as ultimately, it's all about licencing and flavouring.

Japan and the far east are open to a wider taste pallet, especially when it comes to food and fruits that's looked at beyond nutrition, Goji berry chewey candy, contains a minor percentage of goji berry juice but people lap it up as it's sweet, it's viewed as healthy as it's got Goji vs horrible sugar only candies.

That said, Pepsi flavoured crisp is weird - says the guy who ate a ham cooked in coke.

i don't think you can blame sales and marketing for holding back on wacky flavour crisps in the UK! if there's no demand then there's no one to sell to. it has more to do with consumer tastes rather than the adventurousness of sales and marketing!

we're a touch more reserved in the UK palette and so wacky flavours that may seem awesome to us small selection of people on a internet forum will lack the mass market appeal required to make some cash.

Soldato
i don't think you can blame sales and marketing for holding back on wacky flavour crisps in the UK! if there's no demand then there's no one to sell to. it has more to do with consumer tastes rather than the adventurousness of sales and marketing!

we're a touch more reserved in the UK palette and so wacky flavours that may seem awesome to us small selection of people on a internet forum will lack the mass market appeal required to make some cash.

Of course there is the public palette, but with the right "adventurous" flavour, a good brand I'm working with can easily push the boundaries. Trends are set by those who blaze the field first.

Should have seen the European team trying to push the idea of Wine Gums. Vinegar in chewy candies?! :eek: pretty much sums it up.

Soldato
OP
Just thought I'd let people know. I bought a packet of the Pepsi flavoured cheetos from ebay. £2.87 + £2.87 postage. So nearly £6 for a packet of crisps...

I must be mad.... :D Will post another update when they arrive and I perform the taste test.

Man of Honour
I work for a confectionary company and trust me, I've developed loads of 'weird' products but marketing and sales team (at least in the UK) are about as adventurous as a Koala Bear. Nothing to do with regulation as ultimately, it's all about licencing and flavouring.

Japan and the far east are open to a wider taste pallet, especially when it comes to food and fruits that's looked at beyond nutrition, Goji berry chewey candy, contains a minor percentage of goji berry juice but people lap it up as it's sweet, it's viewed as healthy as it's got Goji vs horrible sugar only candies.

That said, Pepsi flavoured crisp is weird - says the guy who ate a ham cooked in coke.
Forgo conventional sales, open up Nestle (or what ever) store on ebay and sell it direct to consumers. Just like Firefox and there mobile phone.
Keep conventional high sellers in shops.
Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom