Quite an odd site - 'Martin Manley: My Life and Death'

Man of Honour
So I've just seen this

Basically a guy didn't want to get old, so committed suicide on Thursday, and his site went live the same day.

It contains all kinds of insights into why he did it, his thoughts leading up to the event, how he did it, how he justified it. And then after that, a look into everything else about his life

It's quite odd reading some of it, and I'm not sure what to feel about it tbh

http://www.martinmanleylifeanddeath.com/home_page

I'm not even sure that would be of any comfort to those who would have been affected

Soldato
Opening paragraph reads so strangely.
Knowing someone planned their death, wrote about it, and announced it prior to the action.
Wonder if that amount of control gives peace of mind, if knowing the date would bring terror as it approached or some form of target to work towards your goals.

Caporegime
Why commit suicide? One of his answers, Why not? lol.. well ok :) cant argue that much.

Odd guy, certainly will be remembered and talked about, another thing he harps on about.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've read most of the site now and i can only conclude he's had this mental disorder since childhood, simply he's brain wired up badly during development and he thought committing suicide was perfectly normal since a kid.

I also have to agree with him being a little up his own arse by making the website. He says he wasn't lonely, but i suspect deep down he was

Associate
Quite interesting.

He says he wasn't depressed or anything, yet in other areas says he doesn't think he ever knew what happiness was...

He looks a little like Charlie Sheen in some of the pictures.

Man of Honour
While it might read a little self indulgent from an outsiders point of view, I guess his friends and family will take comfort in being able to read through his reasoning and state of mind, and for that its more than valid.

For the rest of us, I guess its an interesting insight, I thought so anyway!

Soldato
I thought I should find a place on this site to mention Fedoras. When I was about 54, I started wearing a Fedora all the time. Ok, I didn't wear one when I slept at night and I didn't wear one in church. Otherwise, 100% of the time - even when home alone. They just became part of who I was. There are plenty of people whom I've met over the past six years and have gotten to know that have never seen me without one.

At first, I just owned a couple of Fedoras, but then I bought a couple more. And, then I guess I got infected by the female shopping gene because, despite being extremely cheap, I got up to about a dozen hats. I finally stopped at 25 when I realized I wasn't going to be around in another 14 months (June 11, 2012). Besides, I had just about covered all the colors.

In death I am euphoric.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

He seems like a bright chap, but I can't understand suicide simply because you don't wish to grow old. Maybe if you're terminally ill.. But this seems like a selfish thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom