E92 - Replacing 19" Runflats with Non-Runflats

Soldato
So the time has come where my front and rears are just about wearing at the same time and so I can finally replace all four tyres with non runflats without feeling too much pain in my pocket. The only problem is which tyre?

I'll be sticking with manufacture standard sizing 225/35/R19 and 255/30/R19.

Options seem to be (Prices from BlackCircles):

Falken FK453 - Wet performance questionable, think this is more a mid range tyre. - £151.13/£174.79 (£651.84)

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 - £169.93/£195.65 (£731.16)
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT - £179.76/£231.24 (£822)
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 - £176.98/£228.60 (£811.16)
Continental Sport Contact 5P - £178.63/£236.42 (£830.10)

Current standard RFT for Comparison:
Bridgestone Potenza RE050ARFT - £228.60/£285.02 (£1027.24)

Anyone done the swap over or have any thoughts on the tyres above? I'm swaying towards the Hankook or Goodyears based on reviews and tests I've read, most likely the Goodyears. Continentals dont seem to offer anything over the Goodyears.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
F1 A2 or CS5. The two best tyres on the market for general use. Pick whichever one you like the look of as both are excellent and regularly trade places at the top of pretty much every test. The Goodyear seems to win ever so slightly more, but really, both are just as good as other I'd imagine.

Soldato
OP
Goodyear it is then I think. Based on their label rating they are more fuel efficient and have less road noise when compared to the Conti and Blackcircles also have quadruple club card points on them, taking a full set down to £780, which is nice.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Soldato
Can you not get Michelin pilot super sports in your size? I paid £888 for 4 recently from blackcircles in similar sizes. They are a league above the other tyres mentioned.

Soldato
Can you not get Michelin pilot super sports in your size? I paid £888 for 4 recently from blackcircles in similar sizes. They are a league above the other tyres mentioned.

you need to go up a bit, which is no bad thing the e92 is under tyred.

I moved from 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 CS5 to 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 supersports on my 335D, was absolutely the right choice, oh so much better and wore a lot lot better too.

Man of Honour
Undertyred? It's really not, especially a 330d. If anything it's overtyred, they have wider rears mostly for aesthetic and marketing reasons.

Soldato
Agreed. There is nothing a larger tyre is going to achieve on the E92 over and above the standard fit. As to MPS being a league above, I'd say they were marginally better, at best

Soldato
OP

you need to go up a bit, which is no bad thing the e92 is under tyred.

I moved from 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 CS5 to 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 supersports on my 335D, was absolutely the right choice, oh so much better and wore a lot lot better too.

Michelin PSS are available in the standard sizes - 225/35/19 and 255/30/19. £886 for a set through Blackcircles. I kind of ruled these out as they seemed overly expensive compared to Goodyear/Continental.

Man of Honour
Reviews I've read about the PSS suggest that it's absolutely exceptionally good in the dry but as a result is middle of the table when it comes to wet performance.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;24793207 said:
Reviews I've read about the PSS suggest that it's absolutely exceptionally good in the dry but as a result is middle of the table when it comes to wet performance.

Just had a little read about them and apparently uses less wet compound compared to normal tyres. Has an 80/20 split, rather than 50/50.

Soldato
I have not long had 4 Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's fitted - The other day in wet with nothing behind and nothing in front I stamped on brakes - if you had your eye's shut you couldn't have told if it was wet or dry - Just stopped without any bother - 225/40/18's - I did pick these because of wet weather write up on them - as such I am not expecting great milage out of them. Got them from either My Tyres or Love Tyres - cost £10 each to be fitted locally.

dave

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24792385 said:
Undertyred? It's really not, especially a 330d. If anything it's overtyred, they have wider rears mostly for aesthetic and marketing reasons.

I didn't know he had a 330D, could've been a 335....the 335 was undertyred IME especially if mapped, could easily light the rears up with an enthusiastic launch or get the back end to step out in the dry. It did help a little with larger/stickier tyres. I agree a 330 is probably fine though.

I certainly didn't find the MSS worse in any condition really, i remember being rather impressed with them in even damp cold conditions when pressing on.

Oh, except in snow. they were ****ing useless in snow :D I got stuck in a flat carpark :\

Associate
Went from OE bridgestones to Goodyear AS2 on 18s on a 335i

Improved the ride quality, particularly over the slightly rough surfaces where the run flats would rattle you around a lot more

cant really give fair view on grip or wet braking as the old tyres had 2mm ont he rear and were pretty shocking. So it was night and day after changing them.

but overall very happy with them

Soldato
OP
Bumping this a bit, but thought was worth adding for information in case someone else needs it.

As I am just changing over to standard tyres from run flats obviously I am looking to put some sort of "mobility kit" in the boot in case of emergency.

Seems to be a few options in this situation;

BMW Mobility Kit - £100 from main dealer and rarely come up second hand. Compressor, sealant, gloves in a BMW branded bag.
Continental Mobility Kit - £60 or £30-40 second hand on ebay. Compressor and sealant, generally loose.
Mobility Kit from other Marque - Vary in price and spec.
Other kits? Slime, etc - Unknown quantity/reliability.

(If you're buying any of these kit second hand, make sure you check the sealant expiry date. Dont want to get a puncture and find that your sealant is all dried up! Also, keep an eye out on sealant sizes. Probably want at least 450ml for 18"+ wheels.)

I had been swaying towards the BMW Mobility kit, just because its the most complete kit, neatly presented in a bag and the sealant doesnt coat the inside of the compressor like it does with the continental, but really baulked at the price compared to the other options. After much checking and trying to work out who OEMs all these kits, I found the Airman Res-Q tyre repair kit. This is made in Germany and appeared to be either the OEM or from the same OEM as some of the BMW kits and all of the Volkswagen/Audi kits available. I then found that the parent company is Active Tools Europe and they state on their website (http://www.activetools.com/):

Active Tools is a Tier 1 Supplier to most of the major OEM brands in the automotive industry supplying a full range of tire repair inflate and seal systems. Carmakers are optimizing their vehicles with innovative alternatives and solutions to supply the demand for a more fuel efficient industry.

If you also check out their products section, you can see that their kits and compressors all match up with the BMW/VW/Audi kits. The Airman Res-Q uses the same design as the BMW Mobility kit with a valve-through sealant bottle, meaning the compressor stays clean if you use the sealant and also you should be able to use the BMW brand sealant if you ever need to replace it. You then just buy a new sealant bottle, which comes with a new hose attached. It also comes with a similar speed warning sticker on the bottom of the sealant bottle which is another indicator of its OEM origin. It also states its TPMS safe.

The Airman Res-Q is only £38 delivered on ebay at the minute (£42 if you buy direct), so Im going to take the chance and see what its like, hopefully saving myself £62 for the same quality kit. http://www.airman-uk.com/tyre-repair-solutions/resq-tyre-repair-kit

Will update with some pictures when it arrives.

Last edited:
Associate
Bumping this a bit, but thought was worth adding for information in case someone else needs it.

As I am just changing over to standard tyres from run flats obviously I am looking to put some sort of "mobility kit" in the boot in case of emergency.

Seems to be a few options in this situation;

BMW Mobility Kit - £100 from main dealer and rarely come up second hand. Compressor, sealant, gloves in a BMW branded bag.
Continental Mobility Kit - £60 or £30-40 second hand on ebay. Compressor and sealant, generally loose.
Mobility Kit from other Marque - Vary in price and spec.
Other kits? Slime, etc - Unknown quantity/reliability.

(If you're buying any of these kit second hand, make sure you check the sealant expiry date. Dont want to get a puncture and find that your sealant is all dried up! Also, keep an eye out on sealant sizes. Probably want at least 450ml for 18"+ wheels.)

I had been swaying towards the BMW Mobility kit, just because its the most complete kit, neatly presented in a bag and the sealant doesnt coat the inside of the compressor like it does with the continental, but really baulked at the price compared to the other options. After much checking and trying to work out who OEMs all these kits, I found the Airman Res-Q tyre repair kit. This is made in Germany and appeared to be either the OEM or from the same OEM as some of the BMW kits and all of the Volkswagen/Audi kits available. I then found that the parent company is Active Tools Europe and they state on their website (http://www.activetools.com/):

Active Tools is a Tier 1 Supplier to most of the major OEM brands in the automotive industry supplying a full range of tire repair inflate and seal systems. Carmakers are optimizing their vehicles with innovative alternatives and solutions to supply the demand for a more fuel efficient industry.

If you also check out their products section, you can see that their kits and compressors all match up with the BMW/VW/Audi kits. The Airman Res-Q uses the same design as the BMW Mobility kit with a valve-through sealant bottle, meaning the compressor stays clean if you use the sealant and also you should be able to use the BMW brand sealant if you ever need to replace it. You then just buy a new sealant bottle, which comes with a new hose attached. It also comes with a similar speed warning sticker on the bottom of the sealant bottle which is another indicator of its OEM origin. It also states its TPMS safe.

The Airman Res-Q is only £38 delivered on ebay at the minute (£42 if you buy direct), so Im going to take the chance and see what its like, hopefully saving myself £62 for the same quality kit. http://www.airman-uk.com/tyre-repair-solutions/resq-tyre-repair-kit

Will update with some pictures when it arrives.

Good info - thanks for this post.

Got some maintenance to do on my car tonight, I think I'll be checking the date on my mobility kit :)

Back
Top Bottom