Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn

Soldato
Haha. Also managed to push Puglist to 15 before finally going to work!

I’m having a nightmare with m inventory too, I’ve not sold a thing since I started and have so many weapons and armor in my armory. I’ve had to start dropping stuff from my armory into my inventory in order to keep a hold of everything. Obviously, this is just making my inventory full!

I want to keep all the armor so that I can turn them all into material once I get to that point in the story. I really don’t want to sell it all for gil when its worth so much more as materia!

I've not done any of the crafting/gathering yet - how quick are those to level?

Not filled up my Armoury Chest just yet but prepare to stack out your inventory with useless junk when you start crafting/gathering.

With Culinarian I made the mistake of buying a little too much of a lot of materials so had to run through and attempt to use as many as I could. Botanist was easy enough to keep the amount of materials down... until I hit level 12. Then suddenly I've got access to a Lush Vegetation AND I can pick up HQ versions of everything and what little I had left just vanished.

Gonna get up to Materia ASAP too. Too much I wanna try out though :p

Associate
FFXIV... I think!

I couldn't comment on the crafting as I haven't done any crafting in ARR.

The levelling is kinda fun though, its the pretty standard MMO way of killing x number of monsters. Pick up 5 items etc. There is then the added "boss" fights during the main stories.

The story also forces you through dungeons as you go.

The thing I like the most is the random fates that pop whilst you're doing this quests, that break up the quests quite a lot.

There is also the hunting log, which is rewards for hunting a certain number of a particular monster. Well worth doing!!

The levelling becomes much more tedious after you've emptied an area of quests, when you're on your 3rd/4th class. Then you're pretty stuck to LeveQuest/Fates/Hunting Log and grinding.

Soldato
I couldn't comment on the crafting as I haven't done any crafting in ARR.

The levelling is kinda fun though, its the pretty standard MMO way of killing x number of monsters. Pick up 5 items etc. There is then the added "boss" fights during the main stories.

The story also forces you through dungeons as you go.

The thing I like the most is the random fates that pop whilst you're doing this quests, that break up the quests quite a lot.

There is also the hunting log, which is rewards for hunting a certain number of a particular monster. Well worth doing!!

The levelling becomes much more tedious after you've emptied an area of quests, when you're on your 3rd/4th class. Then you're pretty stuck to LeveQuest/Fates/Hunting Log and grinding.

Thanks for the info! :) I don't mind the standard kill X monster/pickup X thing. but what I wasn't keen on in the previouse version I played was the fact that you had a limit of leves you could do (which is fine) however they were all the same each day. Kinda like doing daily quests in WoW

Associate
My main issue with the game is just how little 'flavour' skills are available.

Pretty much everything is either dps/heal/buff/debuff - I've looked through the whole list of skills for every class/job too and maybe 1 per class at high levels looks fun to use. Unfortunately all those types of skills seem to be on massive cooldowns too.

I played Pugilist up to level 20 and my battles literally consisted of pressing 1 then 2 then 3 and occasionally 5 to heal (rarely needed) and 6 to buff myself when off cooldown. No cool movement abilities, no abilities that require some skill to use effectively and yeah pretty boring overall i'd say.

Soldato
trying to find some gameplay for the pugilist but my google skills are letting me down any 1 help

There isn't much footage as the game was under NDA all the way through the beta.

I played Pugilist up to level 20 and my battles literally consisted of pressing 1 then 2 then 3 and occasionally 5 to heal (rarely needed) and 6 to buff myself when off cooldown. No cool movement abilities, no abilities that require some skill to use effectively and yeah pretty boring overall i'd say.

Welcome to first 20 levels of every MMO ever. Not only that but did you level any other classes? Cross class abilities allow much more customisation. On top of that you have the job system which gives you special abilities.

Last edited:
Associate
I said in my post I looked through the entire list of abilities for every job/class. So i'm aware of every skill and what it does that's available from level 1-50. 95% of every skill i'll unlock from level 20 onward is pretty much the same thing with a different name. Sure it does more damage but doesn't involve me doing anything different from running up to a target and pressing the button.

As I also stated maybe 1 skill per class looks interesting to use and what I'd consider a flavour skill. To give some examples of these types of skills :-
A teleport
A gap closer
A trap
Shapeshifting
Stealth
To name a few

With a gap closer it's important to know when to use it, a teleport requires skill to activate at the right moment and to avoid damage, it can be also used in many different ways like to close the gap on a target or to get away from an enemy. Laying a trap requires forward thinking and being able to predict your enemy. Things found in all successful games of this type basically.

In final fantasy you're lucky if your class gets one of these abilities and they all seem to be on massive cooldowns. For example the Pugilist gets only one 'go to target' ability and thats on a 90 second cooldown unlocked at level 35 when you become a Monk. I'm not impressed with how bland the combat feels.

Associate
Will jobs work the same as classes? i.e able to use all of them if you had every class at 30? I couldn't decide between carrying on with Thaumaturge or Arcanist past 20, so I may play both Black Mage and Summoner, as I'm guessing they'd use the same gear bar the weapon anyway.

Also I'll be looking for a guild on Odin for launch in case anyone knows of one

Last edited:
Associate
Will jobs work the same as classes? i.e able to use all of them if you had every class at 30? I couldn't decide between carrying on with Thaumaturge or Arcanist past 20, so I may play both Black Mage and Summoner, as I'm guessing they'd use the same gear bar the weapon anyway.

Jobs are simply extensions of the existing classes, so yes if you have Pugilist, Thaumaturge and Arcanist all leveled to 50 you have access to their respective jobs; Monk, Black Mage and Summoner/Scholar. All the jobs have job-specific equipment that you can unlock too, so you'll have a decent set for each job once completed (obviously there is better gear to obtain via dungeons, materia/crafting etc, but it's a good start).

Soldato
I can see how people wouldn't like it, definitely think its a game that gets more fun when you switch your brain off a bit and focus on your goals. Also partying with a friend as you both go through it is much better. Having loads of fun with my mate doing Guildhests (boss fights) and dungeons. Apart from when we get guys who ignore all our instructions, pull before the tank (my mate) does and generally being an idiot!

Associate
Really not sure what I think about this game tbh.

Thermaturge I found to be extremely boring, and really not that interesting.
All the skills have a long boring cast time except scathe (which is a nice ability). I know this is usually an issue with casters, in that you have to stop and stand while you cast but even our DoT has a 2.5 sec cast time. Seriously what's up with that.

I'm not sure if it was the pace of the game I just didn't gel with or what, but it didn't really feel engaging in combat.

The world itself is awesome though, it looks fantastic. The main story quests are usually pretty good and give a nice story.
The game's UI is very slick, though I did feel that it was sluggish in response when carrying out actions/spells (see above), but that could have been just done to the amount of people playing causing lag.

Other than that I only got disconnected from the game twice over the weekend which for a beta is pretty good.

p.s. I did pick up the Arcanist when I was able to get over to that city and it felt more fun than the thermaturge, but still combat felt weird. Slow/static or something...

Soldato
sounds like it hasn't changed from the last one combat wise! :(

Is there still a cap on leves you can do per day?

EDIT: are all the servers still in Japan for this? or do they have more localised ones now?

Back
Top Bottom