Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Turn it off and on again? In all seriousness the modem could have been the cause of the problem to start with and resetting it to factory defaults could have finished it off. Easy to blame a faceless employee, but maybe he isn't at fault?

Went through the process about 10 times, I'm quite surprised he spent so long trying to fix it in all honesty, any previous experience from VM Customer support has resulted in them booking an Engineer in the first 5 minutes.

But yeah, it is easy to blame them, especially when all previous experience of their customer service is them being ****.

I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.

Caporegime
Seems the cable which was under the grass last night is no longer under the grass. :confused: So someone is coming out on Wednesday to re-bury the cable. Very odd.

Soldato
Is anyone else have issues watching Twitch streams in any higher quality than 360p?

If i choose 720p,and have nothing else using the net twitch stream just keeps on freezing,then playing..then freezing,Then sometimes either the video wont load and that chat will or vice versa its pathetic.

I can watch Youtube in 720 or 1080P no issues,Just seems to be with twitch.

Associate
Hi,

Just thought I'd ask....

I've been a Virgin Media customer for a number of years and when I first joined them it was cheaper to take the broadband and TV package with a phone line.

Well I've never used the phone, I don't have a phone plugged into it.

Just looking at my bill and the line rental is £14.99 per month. The rest of the package (TV Size M+, Broadband XXL (Up To 100Mb), TiVo Monthly Fee & Talk Weekends) comes in at £42.25.

Who should I contact to see if they'd take off the phone line rental, and more importantly what do you think the chances would be?

It's a slight niggle that I'm paying almost £60 of which £15 is for something I've got no intention of ever using.

Regards

Hi,

Just thought I'd ask....

I've been a Virgin Media customer for a number of years and when I first joined them it was cheaper to take the broadband and TV package with a phone line.

Well I've never used the phone, I don't have a phone plugged into it.

Just looking at my bill and the line rental is £14.99 per month. The rest of the package (TV Size M+, Broadband XXL (Up To 100Mb), TiVo Monthly Fee & Talk Weekends) comes in at £42.25.

Who should I contact to see if they'd take off the phone line rental, and more importantly what do you think the chances would be?

It's a slight niggle that I'm paying almost £60 of which £15 is for something I've got no intention of ever using.

Regards

Ring customer services and cancel the phone line - will probably cost an extra couple of quid though so dont be banking on getting a £15 reduction

Soldato
Prices are usually cheaper when you factor in the phone line, so you may end up paying more as said.

Worth a try calling if not for the possibility of a Loyalty discount. I called an complained about the price being cheaper for new customers and got £7 off my bill (taking it down to what it really should have been in the first place).

Associate
Finally got myself a Super Hub 2 installed on Wednesday. After talking to a woman on the other end I asked about installing it myself and was told the norm that you have to have an engineer ( not sure why as all he did was put me a longer piece of coax in and phoned to register new mac address all I could have done myself).

Anyway after moaning about the £50 installation fee I was told she will knock me £20 off, now I thought that was the install fee she was on about but my next bill is only £16.25 instead of £36.25 so I'm just hoping that my next bill after isn't a silly amount.

I'm enjoying the new hub though with both 5GHz and 2.4GHz and for 100Mb broadband I'm getting a good speed just shame upload is still below 5.

Just waiting now for my upgrade to 120Mb

Soldato
Don't think im getting STM'd either. Just tried downloading 6GB of test files from ThinkBroadband and I'm still getting 60Mbps on speed tests (threshold is 3.6GB from 4-11PM).

Perhaps they'll announce something with the price rise to ease the blow.

Permabanned
Finally got myself a Super Hub 2 installed on Wednesday. After talking to a woman on the other end I asked about installing it myself and was told the norm that you have to have an engineer ( not sure why as all he did was put me a longer piece of coax in and phoned to register new mac address all I could have done myself).

Anyway after moaning about the £50 installation fee I was told she will knock me £20 off, now I thought that was the install fee she was on about but my next bill is only £16.25 instead of £36.25 so I'm just hoping that my next bill after isn't a silly amount.

I'm enjoying the new hub though with both 5GHz and 2.4GHz and for 100Mb broadband I'm getting a good speed just shame upload is still below 5.

Just waiting now for my upgrade to 120Mb

I had the same nonsense this week...

A friend of mine had the 30Mb installed just under a month ago. He had the original SuperHub as that's all they will give you on the 30Mb package. (Or so they said when I called Sales to check). As his English isn't great I called retentions for him to 'cancel' his line.

When they asked why, I went into detail how poor the Wifi is on the SuperHub etc, to which they suggested I tried the SuperHub2. "At no extra cost!", I stipulated. "Of course", came the reply.

His SuperHub2 came today with no engineer needed. I will pop round tomorrow to install it for him.

Which brings me to my 'nonsense' part... I called VirginMedia yesterday to see if my Engineer Visit for install of my own SuperHub2 due on the 20th September could be cancelled and they just send me one out this week.

On my way to Retentions I usually go via Sales as this is the quickest way. This time a particular sales person would not put me through as he was adamant the SuperHub2's are NEVER sent out but only can be installed with an Engineers visit. We verbally jousted to and fro for 10 mins, he thinking he'd won the argument by stating that even he had to pay for an engineer. My lance pierced his arrogant heart when I gave him the account no of my friend and told him to check what had happened.

There was a faint whimper as he put me through to retentions, where upon they duly dispatched a SuperHub2 that will arrive tomorrow - sans Engineer.

Soldato
Hmmm. I had rang them a few weeks back about wanting a SH2. They argued it would cost me £50 and an engineer visit. Then they told me there was an issue in my area. And that it would be resolved the next day. So I cancelled the order and engineer visit.

My connection has been up and down still. So I might just call them again and do the usual "I want to cancel my service" and see what they come up with.

Failing this, I have been looking at ASUS RT-N56U router to purchase as I have the SH1 on Modem Mode. Still using my trusty Netgear WNR2000.

Permabanned
I have the N66u router (so didn't really need SH2 as it's going straight into modem mode but hey...) They are very good routers more so if you drop on Shibby Tomato firmware and take advantage of the extra features.

Associate
This increase brings it to £26.15 for 30Mb while new customers are seemingly still offered £22.50 after promotional discount. Will see what retentions can offer, if not good enough then I can do without the online gaming for a while:)

Permabanned
My increase is £2/50 and that will mean I'm now paying £41.50 a month for broadband only. 120/10Mb.

Seems quite steep TBH although I'm only using their BB package of course.
I'm paying £25 for my soon to be 120/12Mb. (September it now says in MyVirginMedia) It's the only service I have from them so the same as yours. I hope you're not far from the end of your contact so you can barter that figure down.

NZB

NZB

Associate
My increase is £2/50 and that will mean I'm now paying £41.50 a month for broadband only. 120/10Mb.

Seems quite steep TBH although I'm only using their BB package of course.

120mb on it's own is only supposed to be £35 going up to £37.50.

Permabanned
How did you get that for £25 a month :O

I think a call on Monday is in order (not home tomorrow).

Hmm.
2 weeks ago, a month before my contract was up I told them I wanted to cancel. They asked me why etc... and after the subsequent conversation they had reduced it to £25. It will be that price for 2 years even though my contract remains 12 months. (Though I will call to inquire about the imminent price raise)
They are much better off getting something from you rather than you give it to somebody else.

Back
Top Bottom