***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Not yet; Mitchell's, Proraso, Vulfix and Taylor of Old Bond St are all on my list. I've only used St James of London, RS stuff and Truefitt & Hill. So much still to try. :)

Soldato
Sometimes in life you find a product that's dirt cheap and brilliant... I would stock up whilst you can :)

BTW... I once found that tesco budget razors (like 20p a pack or something) gave a really good shave. The following pack was horrendous lol. Personally I'm just fed up of the cost of razors, so I just have a stubble most days. I can suffer until I am with my wife again and she demands that I shave or no sex lol.

Soldato
Just wondering whether anyone's used one of these, and if so, how you found it?

I'm currently shaving my head with a set of Wahl Clippers without a guide fitted, which, if you'll pardon the pun, just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. It seems that after just a few days it needs to be done again. I was going to have a stab with my Gilette Fusion with a new blade, but thought it might be a bit awkward when it comes to shaving round the back of my head with the angle I'd have to hold the handle.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
if you have a wilkinsons near you, they do an amazing shave oil thats only £1 and its great on its own or under a lather. it comes in a small bottle its just called 4men shave oil. i have about ten bottles now.

I don't think I do have one of those near me, but I'll bear it in mind, thanks! I just ordered another load of stuff from Creightons - the code still works!

Has anyone found anywhere similarly cheap for Proraso or ToOBS or MItchell's Wool Fat?

Associate
you cant get the more premium products like that from anywhere cheap as its quite expensive for them to buy as well, i think proraso is overpriced, if you have an empty puck the wool fat refills are only about £5.50 and last a long time.

Associate
Just wondering if anyone could suggest/recommend the next logical newb friendly blade to try out? Using Astra SPs but I feel the blade that I use should be sharper/smoother, but I'm also needing forgiveness. I've got a few sample packs: Gillette 7 o'clocks?

Associate
polsilver super iridiums are amazing blades. I began using an old-fashioned double-edge safety razor several months ago. I've tested a number of blades. Each brand and model of blade works differently on my face. Of the blades I've tried thus far, the PolSilver Super Iridium is my favorite. It combines sharpness, smoothness, and durability. PolSilver is a Polish brand that was purchased by Gillette. Production of PolSilver blades was moved to a big razor-blade factory in St. Petersburg, Russia, which is a joint venture between Gillette and a Russian company, with Gillette owning the majority of the venture. PolSilver blades are intended for the Polish market, which is why the labeling on the package is in Polish. I've heard that there are other PolSilver blades besides the Super Iridium. I've only tried the Super Iridium.

When I use these blades with pre-shave oil, a good shave cream, and proper technique, I can get a super-smooth super-close shave in less than five minutes total time. I get a much better shave than what I was getting with my Gillette Mach 3 cartridge razor, and at a tiny fraction of the cost. And shaving with a safety razor is a lot more fun and satisfying than is the tiresome act of dragging a modern multi-blade cartridge across one's face.

The downside of the PolSteel Super Iridium blades (and many other double-edge blade brands, for that matter) is the packaging. They come in a tiny paper box with no slot for used blade disposal, and the individual blade wrappers are a bit of a pain to remove. But I now have a blade bank for disposing of used blades, and the unwrapping is but a minor inconvenience.

Soldato
I havent used my Rhodium NEW LC for a while, i have a great shave with it yesterday.

kBJ8FGXc

Soldato
I'm going to try a kit from Harrys.com in the next week or two - they look interesting and pretty decent value too.

Obviously not in the same league as your DE sets but maybe I'll try that when I have some more time to play around with different blades etc. :p

Associate
Purchased one hundred Astra blades as i've found them to be the best all rounders for me and give me a great shave without much irritation (that isn't caused by carp technique!)

Should last me a while and means i'm not going to go crazy buying other shavings bits i don't need (thousands of other useless blades i hate)

Soldato
Am I going mad or have they put their prices up hugely?

The T&H no.10 range has gone up to high street prices, also no more free shipping at £10. :( Glad I stocked up :D

It's still a fairly cheap and reliable source for St.James and RS classics.

Recently got a Gillette Tech and Gillette Slim from my grandfather. Will restore and hopefully use them!

Nice! Both the Slim and Tech are fantastic razors, enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom