Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Associate
Cheers, just turned on rapid, saw faster boot up already.
Got some games on the ssd (shame not steam drive), will test them out and see.

Should see a improvement of sorts.

Associate
I've ordered a 250GB Evo to replace a HDD as my OS drive. My current set up is:

Current
Disk 1: C:\ 80GB (OS + some progs) D:\ 851GB
Disk 2: E:\ 931GB

New
SSD: C:\ 250GB (OS + some progs)
Disk 1: D:\ 931GB
Disk 2: E:\ 931GB

So I want to clone the C:\ partition to the SSD, not the whole disk, can I do this easily with the Samsung utility?
Otherwise, I was going to use the EaseUS Todo backup with SSD optimisation. But I'm then unsure once I've made the clone how to go about disabling the old C:\ in such a way I can boot from it again if it all goes horribly wrong?!

Caporegime
use samsungs own data migration tool its easier

I would unplug all other drives aswell just have your source/destination drive hooked up and clone away

once done connect the other drives and set the new ssd as first boot device in the bios

Soldato
Just built my new i7-4770K rig and grabbed a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB with it.

Fantastic drive! Before this I had an older OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB.

P.S. Rapid mode is awesome.. ;)

15roc2v.jpg

dffvx3.jpg

Soldato
damn wish to buy this one hehe. intel 320 120gb is kinda slow :p

does this rapid mode works only on evo, or 840 pro too?

Last edited:
Associate
does anything feel faster when using it other than graphs in benchmarks?

I was using supercache ram disk above,same kind of effect,looks pretty but adds 0 extra speed

I`ve been using an Evo for the past few days, with Rapid enabled.

Compared to my 250gb non pro, I can't say the my PC feels any faster than with Rapid disabled, or even with the older 840.

Benchmarks without Rapid are very similar to the old 840 (apart from write speeds). With Rapid enabled, the benchmarks are amazing !

Associate
Just got an evo and about to install it. Instructions say to use an external SATA to USB connector for the migration and then install the SSD into the case, obviously with the SATA and power cables. I don't have such a connector. Am I right in thinking it is perfectly OK to install the SSD into the case and do the migration? I just don't understand why Sammy are suggesting this method.

Soldato
My method
connect evo to existing pc then use something to clone the existing drive to your new sammy
maybe something like macrium reflect or any one of the others will do

Last edited:
Associate
Why are Sparx's benches so much better? Is it just the nature of the bench? Especially on the Randoms. I have to say, although RAPID massively improves benching, it hasn't seemed to make any difference in normal use, even compared to my old SSD. It even slows boot time by a second or two..

Back
Top Bottom