Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Sounds like had he worn a helmet, it would have taken the brunt of the blow, thus he may not be in a coma now. Yes the headline is a bit insensitive by adding the bit about hair to the end of it, but I suppose it gets the point across. The majority of the time, a helmet might not be necessary, but on the occasion it might save your life, it makes more sense to have been wearing one.

really? the chances are if you are knocked off and hit the road hard enough to put you in a coma a bit of polystyrene is going to help all that much, i'm not saying that people should stop wearing helmets (i wear one) i just think this article is just dumb, its looking at the wrong thing, the fact a van driver knocked him off should be a far bigger focus than wether or not he had a helmet on

Now, where is my pop-corn?

Come on chaps, some of us wear helmets and some of us don't but we should have the freedom to choose. I'd leave it there.

Quck question chaps. I am 5'8 or so and am looking at a Voodoo bike on Ebay with a 20' frame. Is that too big?

Mountain bike? Might want to try the Bike Bike thread.

Soldato
that is such a bad article it hurts my testies.. ignores the fact that he got hit by a car, that he's in coma and pulls the only bit out of the whole story "teen with no helmet because of his hair do.." typical dailymail..

Soldato
really? the chances are if you are knocked off and hit the road hard enough to put you in a coma a bit of polystyrene is going to help all that much, i'm not saying that people should stop wearing helmets (i wear one) i just think this article is just dumb, its looking at the wrong thing, the fact a van driver knocked him off should be a far bigger focus than wether or not he had a helmet on

Saved my cousin when he was much younger. The helmet was split to pieces and the doctor said had he not been wearing it, its likely he would have split his skull and probably suffered considerable brain damage.

I've also smacked my own head pretty badly to the point where I would have done some damage. I'll give you I was mountain biking and wearing a full face helmet, which is a bit different to riding on the road and being hit by a car.

[DOD]Asprilla;24805307 said:
Come on chaps, some of us wear helmets and some of us don't but we should have the freedom to choose. I'd leave it there.

I wasn't arguing anything against that. People should have the freedom to choose. Ultimately though, its something you may never need, but could make the difference between a serious injury and not having one should it happen. Worth the helmet hair sacrifice I feel, plus helmets also look quite good these days compared to when I was a kid.

Soldato
I'm getting some handbuilt wheels made in the next few weeks and have a few options on colours. Which would suit this bike best? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-defy-0-triple-2012-1/

Black ambrosio excellight rims (has silver etching)
Black OR silver spokes
32h White Industries T11 (black or silver)
Black or silver brass nipples.

I'm thinking:
Black rims
Black spokes
Black hubs (has silver etching)
With silver nipples.

Soldato
I don't really want to get into it, but anecdotal stories from doctors isn't evidence. Studies of statistics and risk show that Doctors are generally very poor at judging risk and will always be massively conservative in their estimations. Generally they regard any head impact under the banner of 'would have done brain damage'.

I always wear my helmet.

Soldato
I'm thinking:
Black rims
Black spokes
Black hubs (has silver etching)
With silver nipples.

My black bike has black rims, spokes, hubs and nipples. Kinda wish I'd gone for silver nipples.

I take it this is the £627 build form the Wheelsmith?

Have you considered the Velocity A23 rim? Weight is about the same, but it's a wider bed so you get a wider tyre profile with more grip and a more comfortable ride. All my wheels are now 23mm wide.

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;24805488 said:
I don't really want to get into it, but anecdotal stories from doctors isn't evidence. Studies of statistics and risk show that Doctors are generally very poor at judging risk and will always be massively conservative in their estimations. Generally they regard any head impact under the banner of 'would have done brain damage'.

I always wear my helmet.

From the article: "His hair is his life" - how depressingly vapid.

I'd rather wear a helmet and never need it than not wear one and find myself hitting the floor head first. However, I agree that the jury is well and truly out on how much protection they provide, and then there's all the issues around the lost health benefits to people who wouldn't ride if they had to wear one, and so on.

People have bizarre ideas about risk, though, and you're right to point out the dangers of looking at individual anecdotal accounts. My next door neighbour is vehemently in favour of people wearing helmets for cycling, but he won't wear a seatbelt in a car because some relative of his, possibly his dad, somehow died in a car accident as a result of wearing a seatbelt, like it contributed to his injuries or they couldn't get him out or something. So as a result of a close experience with the one in a $LARGE_NUMBER time the odds go against wearing a seatbelt and he decides he will never wear one...

Soldato
Alright, let me word it another way. The Doctor said that, but having seen the accident myself, it was quite clear that you don't even need to be one to see that he could have been killed by it and the helmet saved him.

I don't really understand why you are trying to argue that its not the case. Yes a helmet might not save you in all cases, but it certainly did here. It was enough to make me change my mind about not wearing one when I was a kid.

Soldato
Hardshell arrived this morning. First thoughts: That's an expensive shell suit top.

Just missing some Adidas stripes and it would be like the 80/90s all over again.

Soldato
Guys I need some advice. The single speed bike I bought needs a new rear hub. I'm looking for a flip flop hub with 28 holes in but I'm having trouble finding one. Am I missing something?

Soldato
I always wear a helmet - i have crashed on my head before and smashed up a helmet. I doubt it was hard enough to cause any serious injury/brain damage/death but i would have had a few more cuts and bruises if i wasnt wearing my helmet so that's enough of a reason for me.

I recommend everybody wears a helmet, but if you choose not to take my advice, i really dont care. Whether or not other people are wearing helmets makes no difference to me at all, so feel free to do as you like. I dont understand why there is always such a big debate about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom