*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
I have this. Plus, the fact that GT6 seems to be even more boring (and may not be on PS4) while Forza has got even better sort of makes me lean away from getting both like I did this generation.

GT6 looks like an utter bore fest, Forza is what it's all about,hooning about in awesome cars.

Soldato
no, no, no, no.

They give you a Veyron (fastest internet around), but if you over do it on the mileage they limit the speed to 50% or thereabouts for a few hours.

A Veyron at half speed is still considerably faster than a snail (ADSL) at full speed.

or I could keep using my BT fibre and may not hit a 100 (75mb I get) but I wont get a 50% reduction in speed if I travel too far ;)

Soldato
I don't see why they wouldn't actually.

If you can still purchase stuff through your we browser like you can now then it should be on your download list which is tied to your account and not a particular console.

This is what I'm hoping for. I already do this with Vita games so that if / when I do get one I will have all the PS+ games ready to play. If you can do this with PS4 it will be excellent, probably gonna get one a couple of years after launch, nice collection of games by then and cheaper hardware :)

Soldato
I have this. Plus, the fact that GT6 seems to be even more boring (and may not be on PS4) while Forza has got even better sort of makes me lean away from getting both like I did this generation.

Most people will buy what their friends are getting, I'm getting both but most of my friends etc will be on the PS4 so that will be my main console I think.

There are always games on the other console that I would be interested in, I was originally getting the Xbone for Forza and I still would if it was the only game I wanted but as it happens I'm looking forward to other games like Dead Rising 4, Titanfall.

Equally you can't judge the console on the release games, especially when you are comparing a PS3 game to the Xbone. GT6 may not come to the PS4 but one will for sure and you can pretty much guarantee Naughty Dog will release another classic on the PS4. Destiny is one of the most anticipated games for me and at this time it looks like the PS4 will be the lead on that one.

The other thing I like is Sony have been honest with the Gamer from the start, they made it clear they had the gamer in mind, they listened to feedback before announcing the machine and policies. MS paid no attention to the Gamer and have since done so many 180's they must be dizzy. For that reason alone Sony would get my support.

Caporegime
or I could keep using my BT fibre and may not hit a 100 (75mb I get) but I wont get a 50% reduction in speed if I travel too far ;)

Well when I was with them I had 100MB with zero issues, with a free upgrade to 120MB on the way.

Nobody was offering me fibre when I switched to ADSL, they now are though, but where I could have gotten it at the time for an extra £10 per month, it's now an extra £20 per month so I don't want to pay over what I was initially quoted but unable to receive.

I would much rather be on 120MB (60MB throttles) than the 10MB I am on now.

Also with the new policies virgin have actually increased the download and upload amounts before you get throttled and you dont get throttled for as long as you used to. All the people who spout about their policy usually have no clue as their was uproar when they heard it had been changed, but when you looked at the changes it made it better.

Soldato
From memory I think you need to download about 3.5gb in an hour to get throttled now on 100mb.

That's not going to happen during your average gaming session.

Edit: Actually it's 4.5gb down and 1.45gb to 1.8gb up (depending on package) for throttling.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
i just cant wait for a better upload. on up to 8 meg (running at 3.5 on a good day) and my max ul rate is 42k takes me an age to upload anything.

Caporegime
From memory I think you need to download about 3.5gb in an hour to get throttled now on 100mb.

That's not going to happen during your average gaming session.

Edit: Actually it's 4.5gb down and 1.45gb to 1.8gb up (depending on package) for throttling.

exactly, how anyone can say that is unfair is retarded tbh.

it's to basically throttle top end user's which end up crippling the network.

Soldato
i moved from bt to sky after 4 years plus of waiting for my exchange to get llu'd so at least im not being reamed by bt anymore. hopefully they will hook up with both sky and bt as it means good pings all around for multiplayer hopefully.

Apparently the biggest 4 ISP's in England are BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin. You'd have thought Sony would have gone for those 4 first :confused:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Apparently the biggest 4 ISP's in England are BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin. You'd have thought Sony would have gone for those 4 first :confused:

im guessing its getting people deal by deal. id be surprised if they didnt get sky and bt at the very least. again depends how the sky deal that ms have is worded but who knows. i cant see sky limiting itself to one console when it can make money from both.

Soldato
alqu9l.gif

Caporegime
So its it neon rather than electricity as Ive only seen him do that twice and both times its been with neon signs...

I presume it will be used as an analogue though...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
AMD have said the performance gap between the PS4 and XB1 will be even greater than just the specs as the PS4 will use hUMA and the XB1 wont. Bit info wrt to hUMA,

On a classical system you have a RAM pool and a VRAM pool that are physically speperated. Copying data from one pool to the other creates latency. The GPU is very good ad hiding latency. What it needs most is high bandwidth. The CPU on the other hand is extremely sensitive to latency. The CPU needs extremely low latency to work efficiently. Copying data from the RAM (CPU) to the VRAM (GPU) creates latency, but that's okay for the GPU. Copying data from RAM (CPU) to VRAM (GPU) and back to the RAM (CPU) creates even more latency. It's too much for the CPU. The copying alone takes longer than the computation wich makes this roundtrip highly ineffective.

Xbox360 and older APUs have a unified RAM. This means that the RAM is no longer physically seperated, but even though it's the same RAM chips, the system still distincts between memory partition for the differenct processors. You still need to copy the data between CPU partition and GPU partition, but this will be much more efficient than copying it between physically seperated pools. But it's still too much latency for a CPU, GPU, CPU roundtrip.

PS4 will have hUMA wich means that you no longer need a distinction between CPU partition and GPU partition. Both processors can use the same pieces of data at the same time. You don't need to copy stuff and this allows for completely new algorithms that utilize CPU and GPU at the same time. This is interesting since a GPU is very strong, but extremely dumb. A CPU is extremely smart, but very weak. Since you can utilize both processors at the same time for a single task you have a system that is extremely smart and extremely strong at the same time.

It will allow for an extreme boost for many, many algorithms and parts of algorithms. On top of that it will allow for completely new classes of algorithms. This is a game changer.

Even with the integration of GPUs and CPUs into the same chip, GPGPU is quite awkward for software developers. The CPU and GPU have their own pools of memory. Physically, these might use the same chips on the motherboard (as most integrated GPUs carve off a portion of system memory for their own purposes). From a software perspective, however, these are completely separate.

This means that whenever a CPU program wants to do some computation on the GPU, it has to copy all the data from the CPU's memory into the GPU's memory. When the GPU computation is finished, all the data has to be copied back. This need to copy back and forth wastes time and makes it difficult to mix and match code that runs on the CPU and code that runs on the GPU.

The need to copy data also means that the GPU can't use the same data structures that the CPU is using. While the exact terminology varies from programming language to programming language, CPU data structures make extensive use of pointers: essentially, memory addresses that refer (or, indeed, point) to other pieces of data. These structures can't simply be copied into GPU memory, because CPU pointers refer to locations in CPU memory. Since GPU memory is separate, these locations would be all wrong when copied.

hUMA is the way AMD proposes to solve this problem. With hUMA, the CPU and GPU share a single memory space. The GPU can directly access CPU memory addresses, allowing it to both read and write data that the CPU is also reading and writing.

hUMA is a cache coherent system, meaning that the CPU and GPU will always see a consistent view of data in memory. If one processor makes a change then the other processor will see that changed data, even if the old value was being cached.

Its good to know Sony have a good sense for hUMA :o

Back
Top Bottom