Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just went out for a wee hour to spin the legs. Definitely think I've broken a rib or something two weeks ago. Pain if I take a deep breath, pain twisting certain ways, pain in the arse getting a sleep on that side and it's just as sore now as it was two weeks ago.#

I know they can't do much but I think I'll see a doctor just to make sure.

can't wait for the pics of the shiv!

Underboss
Yeah, can't expect you to get up any earlier than you already do! What's your diet like generally?

One thing I remember is not to confuse lack of fitness with lack of food. Even if your diet is spot on you will still take time to recover from long rides until your body adapts to the workload.

I used to eat dinner in the evenings, but now I have dinner at lunch time at work

on a work day -

Porridge or Fruit & Fibre first thing in the morning
I get a break between 9 and 10 which I then have a cooked breakfast which I consist of, 1 sausage, 1 hash brown, 1 bacon, 1 French stick and a banana

I then get to dinner time, and have a cooked meal (varies every day)

then I eat again around 5pm at home, I eat bread (white) I.e. fruit tea cakes or X-Buns or sometimes I'll do ham rolls

on the day off mid week -

Porridge usually
Cycle till lunchtime
bread for lunch (as above)
and sometimes same again for dinner, or I will get a microwave meal

Sundays are slightly different, roast dinner Sunday evening! :)

my club jersey is just amazing, first piece of rapha and man, im gna be hooked now...

your club kit is Rapha? lucky !!
mines Giodana (spelling?)

Soldato
I used to eat dinner in the evenings, but now I have dinner at lunch time at work

on a work day -

Porridge or Fruit & Fibre first thing in the morning
I get a break between 9 and 10 which I then have a cooked breakfast which I consist of, 1 sausage, 1 hash brown, 1 bacon, 1 French stick and a banana

I then get to dinner time, and have a cooked meal (varies every day)

then I eat again around 5pm at home, I eat bread (white) I.e. fruit tea cakes or X-Buns or sometimes I'll do ham rolls

on the day off mid week -

Porridge usually
Cycle till lunchtime
bread for lunch (as above)
and sometimes same again for dinner, or I will get a microwave meal

Sundays are slightly different, roast dinner Sunday evening! :)

Yeah, not gonna lie, apart from the porridge that's not great. :p Quite a lot of refined carbs with not much in the way of protein but it's easy to improve.

Porridge in the morning is good, and if you could amend your cooked breakfast to be something with eggs and without hash browns and French bread that would be a good start. Do you have quite a physical job?

Changing the 5pm snack for something like chicken with salad or some wholemeal pasta/brown rice would make a big difference too.

Underboss
Yeah, not gonna lie, apart from the porridge that's not great. :p Quite a lot of refined carbs with not much in the way of protein but it's easy to improve.

Porridge in the morning is good, and if you could amend your cooked breakfast to be something with eggs and without hash browns and French bread that would be a good start. Do you have quite a physical job?

Changing the 5pm snack for something like chicken with salad or some wholemeal pasta/brown rice would make a big difference too.

Thanks for the tips :) really appreciated them

She rarely does eggs as no one eats them lol but I could ask her to make some

Yeah it is physical, I am on my feet all day

Caporegime
love my garmin :D

I did a test course ridemygps or whatever the website is called and the directions were telling me to turn the opposite direction the course was showing :confused:

all good though I just followed the line.
http://www.strava.com/activities/76502900

left my old cadence magnet on though and one of the cable ties managed to snap so I had to rip the magnet off as it started to whack the sensor every rotation of the pedals :mad:
I'll have to go a proper route on nice country roads next time where I can keep my speed up

I find it pretty crappy how the sensor doesn't have it's own mount so you can easily take it off and switch it between bikes.
I got 2 mounts for the actual edge 800 but the sensor only attaches by zipties, my old crappy cycle computer had actual mounts for the sensors as well.

It also means you can't really leave your bike outside the pub etc chained up without watching it like a hawk

Last edited:
Associate
welcome back minty !

you've been alright? haven't seen you in ages..

Getting there slowly. I had to have a minor operation and was told to not go on my bike at all for a while. Things are still a bit uncomfortable but improving. Just taking it easy on the rides for the next few weeks and then try and up the mileage a bit. I put on about 3/4 of a stone in about 5 weeks :eek: saying that it was an extremely unhealthy 5 weeks in terms of diet.

Soldato
Grudas - I actually spotted somebody this evening that looked to have one of those fixies you recommended. Brightly coloured frame, with coloured 'aero' wheels which were different colours and those bullhorn bars. Can't be too heavy as the guy riding it was trying to power his way up the slight hill in Regents Park faster than anyone else riding. However he looked a bit ungainly going full wack on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom