Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I cycle for enjoyment, not for imaginary prizes. As far as I am concerned it is pure e-peen... bet the girls are well impressed when you tell them about your Strava KOMs :p

If you are competitive then go and do an actual race!

(I don't have any KOMs :D)

[DOD]Asprilla;24810663 said:
I find KOMs useful for setting a target so that I avoid slacking on the commute.

I don't have KOM but I use those KOM set on segments worthy of a challenge as a personal target, to get close or hit it. There are some REALLY fast endurance riders around me, so beating them and maintaining the average speed is what pushes me as a solo / non club riding cyclist.

Caporegime
Soldato
I got these last winter and they still don't keep my finger tips warm even with a merino liner!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/xenon-so-thermo-full-finger-gloves-ec040948

I've got some of these to try out this winter.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-thermal-split-finger-bike-gloves/

Thanks for that, the first ones you linked to were the pair i was going to get! May well give the lobster ones a try, i've read they are better and that seems a decent price to give them a go!

Soldato
Thanks for that, the first ones you linked to were the pair i was going to get! May well give the lobster ones a try, i've read they are better and that seems a decent price to give them a go!

I think I might have poor circulation in my fingers, hence why NO gloves seem to work. The Gore ones are really good and go well with the Phantom/Oxygen jackets.

I haven't tested the Craft crab ones yet as it's not been cold enough. I can change gears with them on though.

Last edited:
Soldato
you all commute in jerseys and bibs? are you commuting 30 miles a day or something?

I know it feels like I would be over-dressing if I went with that much.. everyday before work and after work it would take me 30 minutes to dress up just to cycle 10 miles? seems a bit over the top?

I think padded undershorts + shorts with good jacket and gloves will do fine!

Windproof is far more important than waterproof - unless you spend lots on a waterproof jacket you will sweat and get wetter than the rain makes you!

Shorts in winter, good luck with that one!

Over 10 miles? I was OK riding a leather jacket thorough the winter last year.. jacket wise anything you lot have tried that's slim fit and good for all-weather commuting?

shorts will be fine, done some in shorts last year and after 2-3 miles you warm up no problems :)

Soldato
Over 10 miles? I was OK riding a leather jacket thorough the winter last year.. jacket wise anything you lot have tried that's slim fit and good for all-weather commuting?

shorts will be fine, done some in shorts last year and after 2-3 miles you warm up no problems :)

My knees got far too cold to not have them covered, my feet too unless wearing overshoes but i guess we are all different with how the cold affects us!

My jacket is a Gore Phantom soft shell, its slim fit but not race cut - its shower proof but most importantly windproof - wear it for all cold weather commuting etc.

My commute is 10 miles and whatever i wear i'm needing a shower so i wear bike gear and shower then change into work gear - seems pretty normal!

Soldato
you all commute in jerseys and bibs? are you commuting 30 miles a day or something?

Yes and yes. Up to 50 miles. Sometimes I take the long route home too.

My jacket is a Gore Phantom soft shell, its slim fit but not race cut - its shower proof but most importantly windproof - wear it for all cold weather commuting etc.

I was going to mention the Phantom. Everyone I know who has one swears by it and that includes some very very high mileage quick riders.

Soldato
It is sad that the nights are beginning to roll in sooner. And i know its a few months off yet, but there is something strangely exciting about the prospect of wrapping up warm on a cold winter weekend morning and getting out into the misty, frosty Peak District.

Associate
Good to have you back!

I've not done the Rake in months. Need to head up there sometime soon, ideally before the weather goes to hell in a handcart.

[Damien];24809425 said:
Welcome back mate. Well done on doing the rake too!

I've not had a chance to do it on my Canyon yet. I need to head up there at some point. Seeing how quick I shot up Mow Cop on it I reckon I can shave a few secs off the time I set on the rake when I did it on my CX.

Cheers chaps. Good to see you guys are still getting plenty of miles in. I wont be able to keep up the next time im out with you lot:eek:

Caporegime
I know it feels like I would be over-dressing if I went with that much.. everyday before work and after work it would take me 30 minutes to dress up just to cycle 10 miles? seems a bit over the top?
30 minutes?!

It takes me a 2 minutes to dress, and 10 minutes to undress, shower and dress at work.

Soldato

This is something I need to replace in preparation for the colder days. The one I own currently go cut up quite a bit when I came off at the start of the year. But I'll have no hesitation in reordering the same jacket.

Soldato

I think padded undershorts + shorts with good jacket and gloves will do fine!

Surely it takes just as long to put on padded undershorts then shorts over the top than it does to put on a single pair of bibshorts?

Soldato
I bought a Phantom but returned it for the Oxygen as it wasn't slim enough.

Just got the Rapha softshell in XS through the post. That is a nice slim fit on the torso although the arms are a tad long. Can't complain for £80 off the retail price! Cheers for the spot Asprilla.

Soldato
My knees got far too cold to not have them covered, my feet too unless wearing overshoes but i guess we are all different with how the cold affects us!

true, not surprised that you or someone else gets cold in shorts during winter.. in my case the first 2-3 miles are chilly the rest is nice..

30 minutes?!

It takes me a 2 minutes to dress, and 10 minutes to undress, shower and dress at work.

well ok maybe I was exaggerating a bit but you get the point.. :)

Soldato
It is sad that the nights are beginning to roll in sooner. And i know its a few months off yet, but there is something strangely exciting about the prospect of wrapping up warm on a cold winter weekend morning and getting out into the misty, frosty Peak District.

Agreed, I absolutely love it. :D

I'd always try and keep my knees warm in winter at least, joints don't really like being frozen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom