Replacing ADSL with Three tethering?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
This isn't too bad.

2800409790.png

Soldato
You can't really blame the customers though, the Broadband infrastructure in this country is so poor compared to a lot of others.
It's not really that poor, broadband penetration and speed in the UK are better than average for developed countries, there are only a handful of countries that the UK would be considered poor against. Not a lot.

Soldato
OP
Well, I ended up getting a new phone and decided to go Sim only.

Three are doing the One plan, 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, unlimited data with tethering for £15 a month (12 month contract). Seemed like a great deal.

I'm getting good speeds at home too:

GaKAthQ.png

For those on the one plan, what sort of usage are you hitting per month? I've had the sim since around 3PM and I'm already 1GB up... but obviously I've been playing with it a fair bit!

Hmmm, interesting that a few releases from Feb 2013 state:

But it is a rather disappointing offering though since you only get 2GB of data rather than an all-you-can-eat unlimited data allowance. Furthermore, tethering is likely to be excluded from the bundle.

Hope this isn't correct... doesn't mention it on the website and the chap in the Three shop said it was unlimited.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks.

Just got this through via e-mail:

As you’re on an Essential Internet Plan, we’ll send you a text and automatically stop your internet usage when you’ve reached your data limit to make sure you don’t get any surprise data bills. If you want, you can always buy more data with our 30 day Data Add–on.

*sigh*

Looks like their systems haven't really been updated to work with this new plan yet. My3 clearly shows me as unlimited and on the one package.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
It's all you can eat data. Dont worry about it. I average about 15gb per month, that includes a bit of tethering. Not had a phone call or a email from Three regarding about my usage.

Soldato
As Sho says, don't worry about it. As long as you're being billed correctly and the plan is showing up as the correct one on My3 and on your order, you're fine :)

Associate
I'm also experimenting with this. My ADSL link is currently 3Mbps down and < 1Mbps up - its pretty poor.

This week, I got myself a new Three sim on the One Plan, stuck it in a device which doesn't support HSPA+, and get a max download speed of 3Mbps, average of 1Mbps. The upload was terrible at 0.1Mbps.

Today I tried the sim in a Sony Xperia L, which does support HSPA+, I now get a max of 6Mbps, average of 3.5Mbps down and about 2Mbps up.

So its reasonably ok - marginally better than my ADSL. But as others said, there is a fair amount of latency. Speeds are up and down, web pages do take longer to establish its first connection. I guess I need to try it for a few weeks (or months), before I can decide whether or not it can be used it as an ADSL replacement. I'm a light user, I sometimes catch up an episode on iPlayer, so I'm a bit worried about the new TrafficSense throttling my bandwidth.

If it does work, can anyone recommend a decent device to use with this? Three are upgrading to 4G soon, so it might be worth looking for a 4G compatible Android perhaps? Mifi routers are useful, but its also handy to have 2000 mins to use, included in the One Plan.

Soldato
Interesting, I may look into this 3 plan, is there a website that can show what speeds the area can achieve? Or even better is this contract available as 30 days? I currently have unlimited with O2, but my speeds are usually 1-3mbps on H+, so the increase in speed could be nice.

If it does work, can anyone recommend a decent device to use with this? Three are upgrading to 4G soon, so it might be worth looking for a 4G compatible Android perhaps? Mifi routers are useful, but its also handy to have 2000 mins to use, included in the One Plan.

Last time i checked 4G data plans were ridiculously expensive and with quite small data caps.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One plan on three is available on a 30day contract.
Better just getting a payG sim to see first.

Three have said 4g will be part of their existing plans, no extra costs or limitations.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Associate
[TW]Fox;24504319 said:
This is why its so difficult to find a contract that allows tethering these days. It's not supposed to be a replacement for your home broadband :(

How can they tell?

I have a standard vodafone phone contract with a Galaxy s3. I occasionally use it for tethering. Have I done something 'wrong' without knowing?

Presumably vodafone had the opportunity to remove the tethering option from the S3's UI before giving it to me...

Back
Top Bottom