Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Associate
Just got an evo and about to install it. Instructions say to use an external SATA to USB connector for the migration and then install the SSD into the case, obviously with the SATA and power cables. I don't have such a connector. Am I right in thinking it is perfectly OK to install the SSD into the case and do the migration? I just don't understand why Sammy are suggesting this method.

I never use the USB connector.

It's faster to use either a spare internal SATA connector or an eSata connector (which I often use).

Samsung probably recommend the USB connector because it saves users from opening up their PC, and makes cloning a laptop drive much easier (you don't have to remove the HDD from the laptop and attatch it to a PC).

Associate
use samsungs own data migration tool its easier

I would unplug all other drives aswell just have your source/destination drive hooked up and clone away

once done connect the other drives and set the new ssd as first boot device in the bios

Thanks, used the Samsung data migration tool and it went fine. It seems to decide for you what it best to transfer, in my case just the C: partition and not the entire disk. I did the transfer over Sata as I got the SSD only version, was very quick ~15mins to do the whole transfer.

I did have some issues with the MBR as it seemed to get into a bit of a mess but I've got it sorted.

Soldato
Magician Software and Steam

Windows 8
Anyone here have a conflict with Samsung Magician software running in the background and steam?
If the software running if I try to run a steam game it just keep minimizing? if I close Magician software games open normally?

Is there anywhere from Samsung I can report this Bug?

Associate
Just ordered the 500 GB Evo. Am I right in thinking there's no performance decrease having OS, programs and Games all on the same SSD?

Currently using a 64 GB Crucial M4 as an OS drive and a really old 250 GB OCZ Apex as my games drive. I'm assuming I'm going to be getting noticeable performance increases for basically everything moving to this EVO?

Associate
I'd be tempted with 500gb to put OS and a lot of games on there to get the benefits of the evo drive, especially with the rapid option increasing the speed, read and write of it.

Associate
I'd be tempted with 500gb to put OS and a lot of games on there to get the benefits of the evo drive, especially with the rapid option increasing the speed, read and write of it.

Yeah that's what I'm going for. It's a replacement for the 64 and 250. Was just curious if I was doing the right thing condensing it all into one drive or if I would've been better off with a smaller OS drive and then a games drive like I'm currently using.

But I think I'm right in thinking I'll see a pretty big performance gain with the single evo vs OS and game drives, for both things?

CSA

CSA

Associate
Ordered a 250gb should be here tomorrow, i usually clone but with changing mobos with this upgrade i need to do a full fresh install of win 7 from disc, has any one had any issues doing this yet ?

Back
Top Bottom