Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can someone recommend me some nice braided gear cable outer please, All I seem able to find is Clarks? Not worried too much about colour but a nice carbon fibre finish would sway me lol :p

Soldato
Guys wanted some others opinion. I noticed a creaking sound develop on the bandit when pedaling sat down.

I have noticed that the bearing in one end of the shock seems to have play. If i lift the seat taking the weight off the bike the suspensions linkage moves slightly but the shock does not. I have a short video of this. The bike has only seen a handful of rides. This does not seem normal to me I would have thought it would all be tight. Or should there be slight play?

Video is taking ages to upload on the inlaws 3mb broadband so may not be visible for 10 mins or so.

Soldato
That's impressive! Where did the rotor bolts go though? Did they rip out the hub?

Ripped straight out, there was one lone soldier left in the fight!
Happened last run down Super Morzine, so it was all good.

Speaking of impressive, Air Voltage made my balls jump into my body when I stood on the platforms, big respect dude!

Associate
Guys wanted some others opinion. I noticed a creaking sound develop on the bandit when pedaling sat down.

I have noticed that the bearing in one end of the shock seems to have play. If i lift the seat taking the weight off the bike the suspensions linkage moves slightly but the shock does not. I have a short video of this. The bike has only seen a handful of rides. This does not seem normal to me I would have thought it would all be tight. Or should there be slight play?.

DU bush. You'll need the proper tool or a bike shop to take the old brass one out, buy the new low friction one and you can fit with your hands and they are supposed to be smoother and last upto 10 times as long! I've got 1 in my RP2.

Soldato

I have noticed that the bearing in one end of the shock seems to have play. If i lift the seat taking the weight off the bike the suspensions linkage moves slightly but the shock does not. I have a short video of this. The bike has only seen a handful of rides. This does not seem normal to me I would have thought it would all be tight. Or should there be slight play?

That is definately play at the shock eyelet so more than likely needs new bushings. First check that the shock bolt hasn't just come loose though because your bushing shouldn't really be dying as fast as yours seem to have done.

Last edited:
Associate
Just noticed that yours is already a low friction bush! You wont need a tool to remove at least but it should last longer than yours has. I have no clue why the fast wear.

Associate
Ripped straight out, there was one lone soldier left in the fight!
Happened last run down Super Morzine, so it was all good.

Speaking of impressive, Air Voltage made my balls jump into my body when I stood on the platforms, big respect dude!

Nasty, whole new wheel then?

Thanks :) Yeah, it had the same effect with me, they're only very small though. (My balls, not the drops)

Soldato
Had a goods days riding, absolutely spent now though.
started at 9am spent a few hours at Esholt, first time there had a great time, a nice setup the guys have there and super friendly as well, packed up and went for lunch, it was way too early to call it a day so i said screw it and headed of to Gisburn for a blast, I only had the DH bike but i still managed a full loop of the 8 and a few runs down the hope line, again so many friendly people.
time to put the feet up!

Soldato
Looks like the bolt has worked its way loose have tightened it up now I'm back home with my tools and no more play. Will have to find out the torque required and do it propperly. Hopefully that's all it is and the bush is fine.

Associate
Quick servicing question regarding Shimano calipers; Are they (M445's) a disposable item? The front caliper has leaked oil over my disc however I can't find any spares for it so it looks like getting another cheap caliper is a better option? I was looking at the M596 caliper on CRC as a cheaper option that repairing it.

Cheers

Dave

Associate
I used to have them brakes and spares are impossible to find. Not even sure if Shimano sell them. I ended up upgrading to M666 brakes when I replaced mine.

Soldato
You can get a whole new M445 front brake (lever + caliper) pre-bled and ready to go for £22 from bikediscount. It's not worth buying (or selling) spares for those brakes anymore.

Associate
It's been a while since I made a post here, but I've just got myself a new bike:

_MP12169.jpg

Speed demon doesn't even begin to describe this thing :eek: Planning on grabbing a pair of carbon HED/Specialized trispokes, replacing the front Spinergy full time with one of those and swapping between disc and tri on the rear depending on winds (cross winds are terrifying with that thing).

Any recommendations for some either long flat(ish) courses or something with a very long very steep hill where I can attempt to break my average and highest speeds? Preferably in the Midlands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom