Who owns a 350z/370z?

Associate
It is well worth searching for and travelling to find a decent one, there aren't that many around but there is plenty of decent ones out of the other liabilities. I ended up travelling from Brum to Enfield to get mine, was the nearest tidy GT I could find at the time. What you're asking for for £6k should be possible, I got a 2005, 1 owner, GT for a touch over £7k!

Soldato
Definitely look around for the best one, there's a lot around. I ended up travelling 300 miles for mine, but it was the most cherished example I could find.

Zeditus is bad, I've spent so much money already and I've only had it a few months. Have a small build thread I started over on the forums as I start to get a bit more serious with the modding.

Soldato
I cant actually remember how long I had mine, maybe 18 months? I didn't spend a penny on it other than a set of rear tyres, it was newer, at about 18 months old when I got it but in the time I had it, it was totally reliable and felt like it would be for some time to come.

Soldato
Hey chaps,

I'm still on the quest to find a weekend car and came across this;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=633303921

I like the styling although I know there's some hate for black wheels on this forum! Seems to have all the right options, shame it doesn't have the Brembo brakes though.

With it being on 100kms does this mean the clutch will be needing a service soon? There is no SH though as it's been imported at some point which is a bit of a worry and seems to be quite common in NZ. Is there anything I should be asking / looking for?

I test drove one the other day and it was a pretty fun car, very different to an S2000 in terms of handling and power delivery but it was still fun on a twisty road.

Man of Honour
No no no no! You will end up with a shopping list the size of your biceps!

The shopping list is already the size of my thigh! :eek: :D

Hey chaps,

I'm still on the quest to find a weekend car and came across this;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=633303921

I like the styling although I know there's some hate for black wheels on this forum! Seems to have all the right options, shame it doesn't have the Brembo brakes though.

With it being on 100kms does this mean the clutch will be needing a service soon? There is no SH though as it's been imported at some point which is a bit of a worry and seems to be quite common in NZ. Is there anything I should be asking / looking for?

I test drove one the other day and it was a pretty fun car, very different to an S2000 in terms of handling and power delivery but it was still fun on a twisty road.

I like black wheels - black on Azure blue - yum! Black with GM Silver also looks great in my opinion.

It is a heavy car, but it's also a good handling relatively torquey/powerful car.

As for known issues have a look here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/107-350z-known-issues/

Soldato
Cheers, i'll have a read!

Yeah it felt heavy and it just didn't fill me with confidence in the corners. I could tell when the S2 was going to break away but I couldn't tell if and when in the 350. The torque was nice though, it felt quick.

Is it costly to get more power from them? Are there a few select mods most people do? How good is the dash nav system in it?

Man of Honour
A lot of people put aftermarket satnavs in, as the built in one doesn't do post codes, and updating it requires a little bit of effort to get new discs.

Typical mods (depending on the year of the model, if you have the HR model, (the newer one) it'll have 313, and already have a lot of the tweaks installed.

However, typical mods for performance include, airbox mod (improve the air flow), panel filter upgrade, plenum spacer, exhaust (y-pipe, central and back box) and a remap. Frees up 20-25bhp on average, improves torque and general driveability and throttle response. To get much more gets expensive, and FI is better way to go. However those mods alone transforms the performance and drive ability of the car removing some of the limitations in the first 3 gears.

It handles well in my opinion for a heavier car (I mean it's not THAT heavy really not a huge amount more than a Focus), slight understeer, leading to nice controlled rear wheel control from the pedal, if you turn traction control off it's far more responsive round the corners.

Having seen a lot of track and touge crazy Jap videos, they say despite it being heavier than say an s2000 it still holds it's own - but it's not to be compared to an s2000 which is a dedicated sports car, the 350z is a GT. An s2k will be on it's tails in the corners as it can brake later, but on less tight tracks the 350z handles well enough to keep a s2k at bay.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Which engine is best to go for? 300, 313....?

Is its worth looking for one with a GT pack?

If you can stretch to the 313 go for it. And definitely the GT pack - makes long trips much more enjoyable.

The DE engine (less powerful) is a bit more raw but the HR engine (more powerful) is better engineered and generally the one to go for if you can afford it!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you can stretch to the 313 go for it. And definitely the GT pack - makes long trips much more enjoyable.

The DE engine (less powerful) is a bit more raw but the HR engine (more powerful) is better engineered and generally the one to go for if you can afford it!

Remember DE equipped cars are also the lightest and have more torque than the HR ones.

So can feel more urgent. Lower rev limit on the DE too, 6.5K opposed to 7.5K on the HR.

Man of Honour
That's true. I've got a DE, and more than happy with it. Shove a plenum spacer, an exhaust and a remap (uprev) and you've got very little difference in terms of real world performance between them (from what I've experienced as well). Oh and the gearboxes on the gen 1 tend to be a bit more solid too.

That said, if I could have found an HR for the price I was looking for and the condition I was looking for I'd have gone for it.

Soldato
OP
That's true. I've got a DE, and more than happy with it. Shove a plenum spacer, an exhaust and a remap (uprev) and you've got very little difference in terms of real world performance between them (from what I've experienced as well). Oh and the gearboxes on the gen 1 tend to be a bit more solid too.

That said, if I could have found an HR for the price I was looking for and the condition I was looking for I'd have gone for it.

I'd take a HR for the Bi-xenons more than anything. LED tailights can be retro-fitted and the interior is hardly different, plus the best colour (orange) was only available in DE form!

Back
Top Bottom