Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Commissario
Around the £5k range you'll either be in 182 Trophy territory or 197 territory. If its 197, check the gearbox doesn't have issues with 3rd and 4th. If Trophy, check the dampers have had a refresh.

Soldato
Around the £5k range you'll either be in 182 Trophy territory or 197 territory. If its 197, check the gearbox doesn't have issues with 3rd and 4th. If Trophy, check the dampers have had a refresh.

Cool, other than that 197's are OK?

What about the Meganes? Obviously I have done very little research at this stage, its not a car for me but I will have to drive it occasionally on long journeys.

Commissario
I'll type something up properly tomorrow, sorry I've been away this weekend.

Meganes I know nothing about, other than the fact that there were many different variants. A 230 or R26 is a minimum if its for someone who enjoys driving but wants the every day comforts, R26R if they're redlining it everywhere.
Go onto the renaultsport website and look at the heritage section, lots of info -

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/heritage

Soldato
I'll type something up properly tomorrow, sorry I've been away this weekend.

Meganes I know nothing about, other than the fact that there were many different variants. A 230 or R26 is a minimum if its for someone who enjoys driving but wants the every day comforts, R26R if they're redlining it everywhere.
Go onto the renaultsport website and look at the heritage section, lots of info -

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/heritage

Ah thats intresting, would you say the 225 and 230's were comfy on the motorway in comparison to a Clio 197? (its got to have some creature comforts)

Soldato
Ah thats intresting, would you say the 225 and 230's were comfy on the motorway in comparison to a Clio 197? (its got to have some creature comforts)

Hello there matey, I have a Megane 225 'Cup', so far its been very reliable. The motorway comfort is pretty good since it has nice, form fitting leather seats. However the hitch is with the stiffened suspension comfort suffers quite a bit on some A roads and most B roads. Also noise on motorways is pretty reasonable, not at all that noisy, in-fact they aren't noisy period.

Also don't believe a single thing you read on these so called 'reviews' about MPG as well, around the town and local area (to and from work, quite low speeds, stopping and starting) I manage to average around 30 MPG in mine, not driving like a complete nun either, got plenty enough power to keep revs under ~2,000 through the gears, gets you up to 40 MPH and such plenty quick enough.

The handling is absolutely fantastic, no other word for it, have driven a friends Focus ST before, me brother in laws VXR and a Civic Type R, would have my Megane every day of the week for handling over those. Also think they are quite the lookers as well, and the surge of torque you get when the boost kicks in is fantastic fun, best thing is the engine has quite a bit of torque anyway so the climb to ~2,000 RPM (which I think is turbo threshold) doesn't take at all long then the things just go. Drove up to Kielder in Northumberland with two mates last night for a bit of a chill and some stargazing (~9:30 PM we set off..) and never had so much fun driving along unlit B roads before.

Underboss
Could not resist anymore. Picked these up today!

IMG_3512.JPG

cool ! :D

gonna go like stink then!

Associate
I've got the K-Tec Racing induction kit on my 225. I haven't noticed any difference to MPG but the car feels more responsive and does seem to pull a little harder through the revs since fitting it. It makes a great noise too! :D

Speaking of noise, I really want to change my standard exhaust. It's not loud enough! :(

Last edited:
Commissario
K&N is just for noise really, better off with either ITG or K-Tec (which is what I've got on my 182 and it sounds great!) Supposed to have gains of up to 5bhp, although 2-3 would be more realistic.

Associate
Dammit. The wheels were refurbed last year by the trader I bought the car from. Since then I just sprayed on wheel cleaner, agitated and then rinsed off.

Used a pressure washer for the first time on them, did 3 of the wheels fine and then with the last one the paint came straight off. Such a pain as I am paranoid about kerbing and they were all mint still... The paint/clearcoat must have not been finished correctly...

Alloy%20Peel.jpg

Have to respray/refurb and hope they come out matching...

Soldato
Just replaced all the exhaust rubbers on my 182

Oh my God why did I not buy Prima exhaust mounts before!! My Miltek finally sits properly and I won't have to replace the rears again in 6 months. HORRAY

Underboss
im looking to see if I can find a price for the "idle control valve"
Eurocar parts says £65 !
found one on ebay from a shop and it says "Air Idle Control Valve" is that the same thing? as its only £15 delivered

been googleling, but coming up empty

Commissario
hurfdurf, sorry I never got round to typing something up. I've compiled some stuff from ClioSport which might help.

Main points are -

• The cup chassis can be very hard if you are not uesd to hard suspension/stiff chassis.
  • Its not really a motorway barge. If you want to overtake someone you will need to drop it down about 37 gears.
  • The mpg can be as low as 7-8 if you are on track. Driving in the city is around 18-20mpg and on the tmoroway if the engine is run in you can get 35mpg or so. Ive the old gearbox and thats what i get.
  • Look out for interior wear (seat bolsters, steering wheel in particular)
  • Front ball joints can be expensive to replace Tie rods are prone to wear (common Ren issue I think)
  • Standard car is a bit basic, i.e. silver headlights, no auto lights/wipers, A/C not climate
  • Standard seats are remarkably comfortable but don't have the same pose factor; still prone to wear but not too the same extent
  • Gearboxes and slave cylinders can be prone to failure
  • Exhaust manifolds crack at the flange and at the flexis, this is an awkward repair as the subframe needs to be dropped
  • Lots of cars have cracked/split seals at the B pillar, cheap to replace
  • All 197's built after October 07 will have the newer revised gearbox. meaning longer gear ratios
  • Cambelt is same timing as 1*2, every 72,000 and is a little more. Dan at 519 charges £495 for cambelt and water pump.
There's probably a lot more, but those are the main bits.

Back
Top Bottom