Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
OP
One of my Combe laps from Saturday:

Not my fastest run this one at 1:23.85, but the camera died after this run.

Ended up at 1:21.56 with my final run. Feel that I could have gone 1:20 at best?

Tyres are way beyond their best and the back end was very loose. Definitely need to knock the rear ARB to the lower setting or fit a front ARB also. Just didn't have the confidence to chuck the car into the corner without fear of the rear coming around on me!

However, this was so far my favourite event!

Anyway, video of the 1:23 lap below, my brother being the Co-Driver :D

Soldato
I initially thought it was a few isolated incidents, but as time goes on Scoobynet is just full of people who have been affected by the issue. Many folk avoid the Hawk and the price in the market shows it. I do prefer the look of the Hawk front but personally wouldn't take the risk unless the engine has already been forged or enough preventative measures taken.

In terms of how they feel to drive, the other lads may disagree with me here but I found from test drives the 2.5 (tried an RB320 and a non-PPP STI) more torquey, linear and pedestrian to drive, but the 2.0 (my own STI PPP) a lot more exciting - namely a sudden surge of power in a set rev range. They do feel different and would suggest you try both, 2.5 issues not withstanding.

The pistons are crap. The factory tune is not great. I have a 2.5 and love it.....plan on 320+ to the wheels but I also have a savings acct specifically for a rebuild :)

Soldato
Just sifting through some pics

bogf.jpg

npmn.jpg

ib7r.jpg

zt5t.jpg

6efx.jpg

zb93.jpg

a7uc.jpg

Soldato
Well, I may be coming back to Subaru Ownership - Will run it as a weekend toy. Car in question is a Classic Impreza Type-RA. It's a version 1/2 I think, 1995 I think. Has done a 100k, unsure to what to expect and look for really.

Any advice?

Soldato
IN.

Completely standard STi down to the awful Clarion head unit :cool::D
64000 on the clock
Just had new front discs and pads, cambelt and turbo done
1 years warranty

This is my first proper fast car and I am really loving it. :D Awesome machine.

My car history over the last 10 years has been Peaugeot 205 1.1 --> Astra 1.4 --> Peugeot 306 1,8 --> Citroen C4 VTR+ 2.0 (Diesel :o:() and now the Impreza.

Picked it up on Saturday morning and did a 180 mile round trip in it for its first drive but can't wait to clean and polish it this weekend. (Sad I know.)

Soldato
Beauty :) Welcome to the fold!

To think mine looked like that 5 years ago!

Do you mind if I ask how much you managed to pick it up for?

Thanks! :)

Yours is quite the beast now though. :D To me this feels really fast at 265ish-bhp (Quoting the factory, not sure where its at now..) so yours and some of the others on here must feel mental! Haha!

Not at all, I got it for £5550 which I thought was pretty decent? I'd been looking for a couple of months and this was the first one that had everything I was after. :cool:

Soldato
OP
I would say that is more than a fair price. Not too cheap, not too expensive. Just about right. :cool:

Yeah 265PS from the factory so really between 250-260bhp. Power can be extracted so so easily up to around 340bhp though if you want more. :)

Soldato
Must say.. that does look clean.

Worth a viewing. Not sure if worth £2.5k though. It is 17 years old remember.

Looks respectable, but I'm unsure to why it hasn't sold for so long which makes me question the car.

The asking price is high, but it's a iconic car and does have a following. I may go view it, but I'm also browsing scoobynet for some examples.

I'd like a Wagon, but I can't find anything I like. This took my eye a few months back and I do like the way that it's light and standard look.

Do these have closed deck engines? I always thought red tops were closed deck.

Soldato
I would say that is more than a fair price. Not too cheap, not too expensive. Just about right. :cool:

Yeah 265PS from the factory so really between 250-260bhp. Power can be extracted so so easily up to around 340bhp though if you want more. :)

Cool.:) I looked at so many and I was starting to get bored where I was seeing the same ones over and over again and realising how long some had been for sale etc when one evening I logged on to Auto trader and came across mine. I stood out because it was only 9 miles from me, everything I was looking for, a decent price, really nice condition and completely standard. I literally rang them the next morning, arranged a viewing that evening and then put a deposit down on it shortly after. :D

I'm probably going to leave it standard for the time being but people keep telling me I'll get used to the power and wont be able to resist after that. :D

Oh yeah and i'm only the third local owner too. The last guy got bored of people trying to race him. Haha!

Back
Top Bottom