Spec me a Bag please :)

Soldato
Not really sure why you consider the fisheye an essential lens to take though?

My fisheye is my least used lens. It of course creates an interesting effect, but I wouldn't want to lug it around as I know I'm unlikely to use it. Especially given you have a lens that goes to 18mm which is suitably wide.

Caporegime
Ha guys Thanks for the tips and tricks :)I will deffo consider leaving some gear behind, but The SLR is coming (if it does get stolen or not). Upgraded my D80 to a D7100 just for the trip.

Fisheye is deffo coming, 18-135mm is coming and the 50mm is coming :). I can't imagine leaving the flash behind :(.

Would hate to get into a situation where i could get an photo and then just be let down by not bringing my gear.

But making the Camera look old....hmmmm might have to do that. :)

Also... I don't want to come back after 6 months having to edit 6 months worth of photos.... Hmmm :(

Go for it, just pack everything up and try it all out for extended periods. E.g. Go for 4 hours down town with it on followed by a 6hr hike the next day. If you are not adding other gear like tents and sleeping bags then I personally think a DSLR + couple of lenses is perfectly manageable.

Insurance will cover theft so I wouldn't put that as an important issue. Besides which you are more likely just to leave it behind somewhere or drop it etc. However, you will get a lot more attention using an SLR with any remotely longer lens, that just can't be helped and only gong for a compact will change that.A compact is also more likely to be stolen by a pick pocketer than an SLR around your neck in most places.

One thing you can do is screw a plate to the tripod mount that has an attachment point for a steel cable which you can then attach to you belt/underwear etc. If someone pulls the camera out of a should bag or whatever thy wont gt far.

Soldato
OP
Not really sure why you consider the fisheye an essential lens to take though?

My fisheye is my least used lens. It of course creates an interesting effect, but I wouldn't want to lug it around as I know I'm unlikely to use it. Especially given you have a lens that goes to 18mm which is suitably wide.

I do a lot of skateboard photography, and will be meeting my mate out in australia and possibly skate in Thailand with other mates that should be meeting me there.

Go for it, just pack everything up and try it all out for extended periods. E.g. Go for 4 hours down town with it on followed by a 6hr hike the next day. If you are not adding other gear like tents and sleeping bags then I personally think a DSLR + couple of lenses is perfectly manageable.

Insurance will cover theft so I wouldn't put that as an important issue. Besides which you are more likely just to leave it behind somewhere or drop it etc. However, you will get a lot more attention using an SLR with any remotely longer lens, that just can't be helped and only gong for a compact will change that.A compact is also more likely to be stolen by a pick pocketer than an SLR around your neck in most places.

One thing you can do is screw a plate to the tripod mount that has an attachment point for a steel cable which you can then attach to you belt/underwear etc. If someone pulls the camera out of a should bag or whatever thy wont gt far.

I have done a couple of festivals carrying my whole gear around with me and that is walking/dancing (if you can call what i do dancing) for 12 hours +, but I understand where you are coming from.

I will have my backpack locked with a padlock at all times, hence I would like a bag with 2 zips, so I can lock them together.

I have decided to leave the 200 at home. yet to decide on the other stuff....

I am very gratefull for all your concerns / help....but I am one of the stupid people who learns the hard way!

Soldato
I do a lot of skateboard photography, and will be meeting my mate out in australia and possibly skate in Thailand with other mates that should be meeting me there.

Fair enough!

Arguably one of the only real reasons to have a fisheye on a camera for longer than usual.

Soldato
OP
Stuck between two bags

Lowepro Fastpack 350 and Lowepro ProRunner 450AW

Can you lock the zips together on the 450 with a little packlock?

The only reason I wouldn't like the 350 is because there is no Tripod mount.

Caporegime
Not really up for paying for a bag then buying some ICU things......plus i am time restricted

That is the biggest issue I have had with f-stop is that they are frequently out of stock. Demand is just far outstripping their ability to supply, despite them keep increasing production lines.

The thing is there is just no competition out there, nothing comes close to the quality of bags.

And the separate ICUs are part of what makes the system so fantastic. You can buy different sized bags and different sized ICU, mix & match to sort whatever gear you are carrying that day.

Soldato
F-Stop only strike me as being worth it if you are after a backpack designed to carry photography gear while Mountaineering/Skiing/Snowboarding. It's only really Dakine and Burton who offer something similar and even then, they don't have the range that F-Stop do.

In terms of their more traditional bags, I don't see that they are any better or worse than the offerings from ThinkTank, LowePro and Domke, all of which are easily available on the UK highstreet.

Back
Top Bottom