Have you successfully quit smoking?

Caporegime
I took up smoking again for 2 months a year ago after split from gf. Now have smoked for past 2 days after split from latest gf. I think someone's trying to tell me something.

yea that's pretty much what happened to me in january.

I've been without a smoke/nicotine for over a week now AFAIR (I'm not bothering to count the days as it would just remind me every time I look at the calendar)

I've pretty much forgot about smoking already where as the first time I quit years ago it was really hard for months

NZB

NZB

Associate
It's only been 48 hours but i've got a good feeling about this time. I was craving one badly last night but it's not so bad today.

I think throwing out everything associated with smoking this time has helped get in the mindset of 'this is what i need to do and i'm doing it' whereas on previous attempts it would be a case of chucking everything in a drawer and going at it half heartedly.

NZB

NZB

Associate
10 days now and it's been ridiculously easy compared to past attempts, i'm not even really craving, sometimes i reach for cigs that aren't there out of habit if i do something like have a coffee but that's about it. 20 odd years of smoking and i wish i'd quit before now, i don't know why it seemed so hard before.

One thing that's peeing me off about it though is that beers that i thought tasted good before now taste minging :(

Soldato
10 days now and it's been ridiculously easy compared to past attempts, i'm not even really craving, sometimes i reach for cigs that aren't there out of habit if i do something like have a coffee but that's about it. 20 odd years of smoking and i wish i'd quit before now, i don't know why it seemed so hard before.

One thing that's peeing me off about it though is that beers that i thought tasted good before now taste minging :(

Get some new real ales in ye! :D

Well done on your efforts. :)

NZB

NZB

Associate
Get some new real ales in ye! :D

Well done on your efforts. :)

I think i'll have to, it's weird as i haven't noticed food tasting that much different yet the first beer i had (last night) since quitting tasted completely different. We have a few different kinds and i tried a few but all tasted crap, back of the mouth crap that wasn't there before.

Cheers, feels quite liberating quitting even though it should really just be "about bloody time, idiot" :p

I Quit yday using Allen Carr's easyway method. I know for a fact i will never smoke again :). Really happy.

Good attitude, thinking like that is the reason it's stuck with me this time. Telling yourself you'll try doesn't work, telling yourself you've done it already seems to :)

Soldato
Bought a vape starter kit last week and haven't had a cigarette for 10 days.

- Cheaper (in the long run after an initial 40 quid investment)
- No smelly hands/clothes/breath
- Can do it indoors (I still go outside when at work, but at home/friends it's all gravy!)
- Can get into the whole 'modding' scene eventually, another little hobby I'mlooking forward to taking up

Have also cut down massively on fizzy drinks, have the odd can of diet coke but no bottle of lucozade or monster daily

So far, a success! Am targetting that 1 year milestone to officially be regarded as a 'non-smoker' :)

NZB

NZB

Associate
Bought a vape starter kit last week and haven't had a cigarette for 10 days.

On the same mile stone as me then. I thought about vaping after reading the other thread on here but i'd already thrown everything out and decided to quit at that point. I wanted to replace it with something (still do) but i don't think vaping is the way to go, too close to the real thing. Even cheaper just to quit too ;)

So far, a success! Am targetting that 1 year milestone to officially be regarded as a 'non-smoker' :)

You're already a non smoker, now it's just anniversaries.

Soldato
On the same mile stone as me then. I thought about vaping after reading the other thread on here but i'd already thrown everything out and decided to quit at that point. I wanted to replace it with something (still do) but i don't think vaping is the way to go, too close to the real thing. Even cheaper just to quit too ;)

True, my approach is going to be;

18mg
6mg
0mg

The biggest/hardest thing for me is purely the habit, once I'm weened off of nicotine all together, the next step will be to get rid of the 'puffing' habit.

Associate
Patches are the best thing for breaking the habit because you separate the nicotine dependence and the actual habit. For the first few weeks, since you are still getting the nicotine in a steady supply, you are free to throw out all your cigarettes and smoking memorabilia and concentrate on eliminating that horrible urge to reach for your cigarettes after a meal, etc.

You also get awesomely intricate dreams.

The other thing is, once you come off the patch, you are coming off pure nicotine, which is a LOT easier than going cold turkey off of nicotine PLUS all the **** they put into cigarettes. I experimented with quitting both a few years ago when I was using the patches for the dreams and had the chance to compare the withdrawals.

Last edited:
Associate
I would love to try and stop but doubt my gf will ever consider it at present.
Think it would be impossible for me to stop when still around it all the time at home.
Anyone else been in that situation and managed or not?

Associate
does anyone really quit smoking?

or are they just taking an unusually large gap between cigarettes?

from personal experience, its the latter.

I do wonder this from time to time. I grew up in a house with a smoker (my father smoked, however my mother didn't) smoked myself for well over 10 years, and have probably been quit for 15 years now. And yet from time to time I still crave a cigarette or a cigar not given in to it yet, but the craving still exists somewhere in the back of my brain :(

Permabanned
I do wonder this from time to time. I grew up in a house with a smoker (my father smoked, however my mother didn't) smoked myself for well over 10 years, and have probably been quit for 15 years now. And yet from time to time I still crave a cigarette or a cigar not given in to it yet, but the craving still exists somewhere in the back of my brain :(

The craving is an illusion. You're just associating it with a pleasure/something that isn't there.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
does anyone really quit smoking?

or are they just taking an unusually large gap between cigarettes?

from personal experience, its the latter.

Quit 17 years ago, took 3 cold turkey attempts but managed it in the end, not a hope in hell i'll ever smoke again, the cravings have long since ceased.

Associate
Here's my story:

Been smoking from the age of 18 to around 31, gave up from 31 to 39, started again at 39 full on back to 40 a day (Women...what can I say), managed 8 months break in last 4 years until I started to Vape.

Did the starter kit thing for 8 weeks, instantly went from 40 a day to nothing but vaping, had a revelation at the weekend that at 45 years of age why am I sucking a dummy, so 9 weeks ciggy free, 1 week vape free!

Associate
I would love to try and stop but doubt my gf will ever consider it at present.
Think it would be impossible for me to stop when still around it all the time at home.
Anyone else been in that situation and managed or not?

i managed it, she said she would, but used every excuse under the sun to try and get back on them, in the end i said i wouldn't care if she did or not. so she went out and bought a pack of fags there and then.

weak.

i'm still quit now 2 years later.

i also used the extra money i saved to buy a brand new motorbike and lessons. that helped and gave me something to focus on.

Back
Top Bottom