Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kooka-Full-Titanium-Stem-31-8mm-90mm-100mm-/251106715122

Looks like any other polished alloy stem tbh, with a similar weight too. WOuld just go with a brand if I were you... unless you need to know it's Ti?
Yeah, now that you mention it, it does look too good to be true, especially when you consider that Van Nicholas charge €163 for their Ti stem. I concede that I have mocked bike tarts in the past for things like this, but I want everything to match. I want the expensive shiny things!

Associate
Went out to do the bundy route that guys do on a Tuesday and Thursday night whilst stopping for lunch in Lanark at Kierans work.

Strava has managed to work out I did 37 miles, I worked it out roughly that before I left but I didn't run gps from Lanark to Wishaw so it's a straight line. It gives a stupidly high average speed that way.

Any way I can edit to add in the bits I did?

http://www.strava.com/activities/80278613#1631245385

I know there is a tool you can use you move gps points, for example if it has tracked you going down the wrong road alonside the one you actually rode, but for completely missed sections like your ride there is no way of doing this as far as I am aware.

Caporegime
You can try strava needs a polish, which is pretty good, but be careful. If you use it over a long stretch, it will assume an average speed over that stretch, which can give some wacky results. So if you went up one side of a hill at 10mph and down the other at 30mph, it might say you did the whole thing at 20mph, making for an epic climb and a glacial descent.

I found a java based tool which would let you move individual points in a gpx file. It's time consuming but really good. I'll post a link when I'm at my computer later.

Soldato
I'm not sure about Strava sometimes, it claims I reached a maximum speed of 47.9km/hr on the ride back tonight, which I definitely didn't! Its a useful thing, don't get me wrong, but there can be a few little quirks!

Another criticism, is that when you scroll on the performance graphs for each ride, it doesn't display the position you were at on the map simultaneously like RunKeeper does, for example. That feature would be nice.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure about Strava sometimes, it claims I reached a maximum speed of 47.9km/hr on the ride back tonight, which I definitely didn't! Its a useful thing, don't get me wrong, but there can be a few little quirks!

Another criticism, is that when you scroll on the performance graphs for each ride, it doesn't display the position you were at on the map simultaneously like RunKeeper does, for example. That feature would be nice.

really? it does for me...

Caporegime
you mean the GPS dot on the map as you move the cursor along the cadence graph oh whatever?

if your using a mobile phone it often won't have gps marker on the map that relates to the graph because mobile phones barely ever write a gps cord when your going in a straight line which is why on straight segments your gps ping on the map will jump from one end to the other in a single flash.

since I got a garmin that logs every second I've noticed the graph/map position to be spot on.

Associate
I know garmins are more accurate and record gps position more frequently, but are you sure it wasn't just a case of your phone losing gps signal?

Even on a straight road I can see plenty of gps points along it, but when the phone losing signal that is when I will get a long straight line often cutting off corners or entire parts of the route. :mad:

garmin 500 will be going on the xmas list I think

Caporegime
I've just been out and done 21 miles. I'm striving to average 18mph over that sort of distance but struggling to get beyond 17.7 or so, according to strava. My cycle computer reads it as 18.2, though. Now, I don't know whether that's my computer being inaccurate - slightly wrong circumference or whatever - or strava on my phone being naff, like the GPS jiggering enough when I'm at the lights for a minute that it thinks I'm doing 0.01mph for that minute even though I'm not actually moving.

And yeah, when I've edited GPS files point by point I see loads of points even on long, straight roads.

Soldato
Soldato
if your using a mobile phone it often won't have gps marker on the map that relates to the graph because mobile phones barely ever write a gps cord when your going in a straight line which is why on straight segments your gps ping on the map will jump from one end to the other in a single flash.

Thats not right.
It wouldnt know you were going in a straight line unless it logged all the previous coordinates so it knew where you were going.
Also, because it's a 3D system in the real world, rather than a 2D system as you see it on a map, you're never actually travelling in a straight line when you're on the surface of the earth.

The jumps are most likely where your phone lost signal.

Caporegime
I know garmins are more accurate and record gps position more frequently, but are you sure it wasn't just a case of your phone losing gps signal?

Even on a straight road I can see plenty of gps points along it, but when the phone losing signal that is when I will get a long straight line often cutting off corners or entire parts of the route. :mad:

garmin 500 will be going on the xmas list I think
no it was just how the gps on phones works if your going in a straight line maintaining a relative average speed then they won't bother to record your position as often as they are capable of.

which is why you get loads more dot's on the map if your going around corners all the time.

buying a garmin was the best thing I ever did :D

although for my last ride I moved my seat forward 5mm to try and work my quads more which I succeeded in but my seat felt far to forward and I ended up with a blister on my left ass cheek near my sit bone :mad:

I guess I will need to take an allen key with me next time and try to properly adjust it, I'm surprised how much of a difference 5mm felt :O

Thats not right.
It wouldnt know you were going in a straight line unless it logged all the previous coordinates so it knew where you were going.
test it then they don't record as many dot's when you go in a straight line compared to when you are going around a small loop or whatever at a local park.

the distance between the dots is not always even and it's not because of GPS signal loss

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom