How much must direct line loose not being on comparrison sites?

Caporegime
Just looking to renew some insurance things and just saw an advert for DL

I have to say i only use the inet now to do things like this and im sure a lot of others are the same.

Surely they have to cave in eventually?

Soldato
Comparison sites have always shown me utterly useless, bloated and unrealistic quotes.

Surely nobody ever uses them?

Caporegime
OP
How about taking some online English lessons.

Ill pass on that, not sure it will do me any good..im too far gone :p

true about the other brands,but it must be profitable despite the cut taken, it would take far too long to ring through the options that the comparison websites do

Soldato
The only times I've tried comparison websites I've received ridiculously high quotes...

I think they're crap and I'd imagine there are plenty more with similar views.

Soldato
I don't really "get" direct line... they are no cheaper than most of the others, in fact usually more expensive... for me anyway? :confused:

Then you don't fit their target profile, surely it's not that confusing?

Why would you expect them of all the insurance companies to be cheaper?

Are you not equally confused at any of the other companies who don't give you the cheapest quotes?

On the comparison site topic - they serve a purpose, they're usually good for figuring out which companies to haggle a bit more with and which ones are worth ignoring at the very least.

Caporegime
OP
On the comparison site topic - they serve a purpose, they're usually good for figuring out which companies to haggle a bit more with and which ones are worth ignoring at the very least.

this is exactly it, a rough idea of what to expect

last year (for car) something happened at renewal i just did not understand

i had a really good renewal price..to good, and anything i did (be it direct or on the actual comparison website) raised it significantly, even taking off miles and commuting. I checked it thoroughly over and over and could not find an error so accepted it, but something must have gone wrong (in my favor) surely

Permabanned
I use all the main comparison sites when mine is due and then I look at the policy and compare it against the cost - I usually choose one in the top 3. I get the daft quotes too but the thing to watch for are the cheap quotes that then increase once you call them - I had one the increased ~£200 over a period of 4-5 phones call while trying to set it up, I didn't go with them because they told me a blatant lie about why they needed to increase it. (They claimed not to have got all the correct info from the comparison site but during an earlier phone call they read all my information back to me which I knew was absolutely correct)

Associate
I use comparison sites to get an idea and then visit some of those companies own sites and do a quote direct with them. 9/10 the comparison site quote is cheaper than going direct.

Also, my renewal price this year was actually better than anything else I could find.

Strange things are happening in the world of insurance :p

Car insurance this is.

Soldato
Comparison sites have always shown me utterly useless, bloated and unrealistic quotes.

Surely nobody ever uses them?

I think lots of people use them. I certainly do - I tend to use a comparison site to search the market, wait until it tell's me who's given the cheapest quote, and then approach that vendor directly for a new quote. Seems to work well.

In my experience "we're not on comparison sites" basically means "we aren't competitive". I've tried giving the likes of Direct Line and others who pride themselves on only offering direct quotes a chance, yet they are never anywhere near as cheap as those I find through comparison places.

Don
I've just used comparison sites in the past few years as they always come up with the cheapest quotes, even tried DL for a quote and they weren't competitive at all. Even going direct to the cheapest on the comparison site wasn't any cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom