Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
i think i've just not been pushing myself enough or running for long enough.

basically gone from doing 4-5 x 1 hour sessions to 2 x 15 min sessions and a half hour session a week.

today i started back on the 1 hour sessions, will hopefully see things improve again.

Soldato
I've got myself a 12 week program to try to resolve the remainder of this bl#*dy IT band injury, working from 1km per week up to 15km at the end. Feel a long way from the 40km per week I was running 2 months ago but haven't been able to run at all since then so hopeful of some progress.

For anyone who is doing a reasonable number of miles (10+ per week) please do not neglect your strengthening/mobility work as it will come back to bite you hard.

Soldato
Just entered Edinburgh Marathon 2014. No ballots. Just pay your $$$ and you're in. Fab!!
I'm also planning a half Marathon in March time - the Adidas event at Silverstone's race circuit looks fun and according to the web site attracts loads of London marathon runners since it's a nice 'race conditions' warm-up just before the big one.

Just curious if anyone runs everyday? I feel like I can - this week I ran each day alternating between 3 and 5 miles. Felt fine.

Caporegime
1 hour run on tuesday:

12 mins constant fast pace
48 mins of HIIT

all @ incline of 1.5%

30 mins of the same routine on wednesday, then the same routine for an hour on thursday.

i'm back to constant improvements in my times.

i shall no longer not run at an incline, and continue to do 30 min sessions minimum with as many 1 hour sessions as i can possibly maintain.

no more 15-30 min sessions for me, they don't work.

Permabanned
Do you only run on a treadmill? I used to and since moving to only running outdoors I've found I've made vast improvements.

+1

running on a treadmill is easy and very very boring, also the distance/pace on a treadmill is way off when compared to the footpod on my garmin, which is calibrated to a track so I know its right.

Outside is harder, hence why you get better at running, its also way more rewarding, I avoid treadmill at all costs

Soldato
Just curious if anyone runs everyday? I feel like I can - this week I ran each day alternating between 3 and 5 miles. Felt fine.

Rest days are just as important as running days. Its when your body actually gets fitter and repairs the muscles (the heart being one of them). Exercising too much can be counter-productive.

Soldato
Rest days are just as important as running days. Its when your body actually gets fitter and repairs the muscles (the heart being one of them). Exercising too much can be counter-productive.

Good advice, rest days are the most important. Period. No matter what your brain tells you, this is the honest truth.

Overuse injuries are so common in runners and they NEVER put it down to being an overuse injury, it's like taboo to believe it!

Currently recovering from peroneal tendon injury (AGAIN). Primarily overuse injury... I'll admit it. Came about off the back of my weekly mileage being:
Week1 - 62
Week2 - 66
Week3 - 69

Early base building phase for XC season with week4 being a down week of approx 50 miles and more speedwork. Didn't work that way though, injured on day 2 of week 4. And this is despite me building up to this milege over a very long period of time and my body can physically handle this level of training but neglecting the rest that bit too much caused injury....

But no reason people cannot build up to running every day slowly in answer to Domo question. Mileage above was off of at least 2 double days of running per week plus 2 gym sessions and a big core session through the week. Your body CAN handle the volume, eventually. Just be careful and sensible building up the volume.

I ran 4 miles in 30 minutes last night. Feels bloom AWFUL getting back from injury :mad::(:mad::(

Soldato
Managed to get my 5K to a half decent 19:22 the other week...

http://www.strava.com/runs/75934903#406263937

nice :) very good time - my best park run/5km so far is 19:39

I'm trying to up my miles at the moment - trying to go from 3 runs a run (2 club ones, one XC) to 5 or more, ditching one swim a week

so current training regime per week is 3 gym sessions, 5 runs, and 2 swims (1 mile each) :)

looking forward to the XC season - mud, mud, and mud - going to get spikes this year

last weekend it was a 12 mile off-road XC and I didn't do anywhere near as well as I'd hoped, partly as I'd not trained that distance for a while, came 25th out of 55 - I'd hoped for top 15, time wasn't too bad 1'28

I always thought my body couldn't cope with consecutive day runs - but I had a 4 day off-road event (4 evenings) recently, and my legs were fine - so it must be just in the mind.

Soldato
That's insane. Just noticed my PB 5K is actually 22:17.

That is pushing my absolute limit. I have no idea how you manage to do it in under 20 mins! Genuinely think I'll never be able to

interval training etc - join a running club if you have time and there is one local - has "forced" me to training I'd never had considered - and its great fun

also compared to the 40 a month I pay for the gym, 28 for a YEARs membership of my running club, including them paying for all XC race entries in the winter is just silly cheap

there is no "can't do" - so go for it - you'll get sub 20

here are my Park Run times - and previous to that my 5km times were only just sub 22

22/06/2013 23 10 19:44 67.23% PB
15/06/2013 22 20 19:48 67.00% PB
30/03/2013 11 11 20:16 65.46% PB
16/03/2013 9 9 20:35 64.45% PB
23/02/2013 6 15 20:53 63.53% PB

so thats more than a minute off in 4 months

Soldato
London Bikeathon next week and then my focus shifts to the Zurich marathon.

It's not until April 7 but want to get a good two or three months of pure base training in to gradually build the mileage and make sure my body has time to get used to it.

First marathon so nothing to go off but I'm hoping to get sub 4 hours, based on my 5k and 10k times (23 and 52 mins) although obviously will require a lot of work.

Gonna use http://www.howtorunamarathon.net and see how i get on.

Anyone else running Zurich (guessing not as it's quite small!)?

Associate
That's insane. Just noticed my PB 5K is actually 22:17.

That is pushing my absolute limit. I have no idea how you manage to do it in under 20 mins! Genuinely think I'll never be able to

People go way faster but it'll come, you can do it...you're nearly there. There are many things you can do to help did under 20;

Lose weight (this isn't me calling you fat :p I have no idea how heavy you are but you want to be v light and strong to run fast)

Interval training - try a session like this: 10min warm up jog, 5mins at a happy pace followed by 2mins at ABOVE happy pace, so for me anything faster than 4min/km (i try to hold 3:30/km for 2mins) then 1min jog, repeat 6 times then gentle run home with good form. Followed by...

LOTS of stretching, lots of stretching to help with your stride and form as well as prevent injury.

A good little exercise is this; practice forefoot balance on one foot when your in the queue for the checkout in the supermarket etc :) Pro's can do this for a long time, its actually quite difficult!

Caporegime
People go way faster but it'll come, you can do it...you're nearly there. There are many things you can do to help did under 20;

Lose weight (this isn't me calling you fat :p I have no idea how heavy you are but you want to be v light and strong to run fast)

Interval training - try a session like this: 10min warm up jog, 5mins at a happy pace followed by 2mins at ABOVE happy pace, so for me anything faster than 4min/km (i try to hold 3:30/km for 2mins) then 1min jog, repeat 6 times then gentle run home with good form. Followed by...

LOTS of stretching, lots of stretching to help with your stride and form as well as prevent injury.

A good little exercise is this; practice forefoot balance on one foot when your in the queue for the checkout in the supermarket etc :) Pro's can do this for a long time, its actually quite difficult!

Thanks for these tips.

I broke my 5k pb today 27.07 at an incline of 1.5%, previous was 27.38 no incline

Back
Top Bottom