Sourdough starter help

Soldato
Hi,

I've been nurturing a starter for the last few weeks now, and it just doesn't seem to be working all that well. I am seeing some activity, by the way of bubbles in the mix etc but when using the starter for a loaf I don't get any rise at all out of it.

Thoughts? Tips?

Soldato
Sorry, I can't be much help at the moment, a sourdough starter is something that I've looked at making but not actually done yet. What process have you followed up to now with it? I'll have a look in my bread book when I get home if no one else can help.

Caporegime
make ciabatta dough instead :p
should taste similar and only needs 12 hours minimum
I did it a few times but left the culture for 24hours tasted even more nom

bread maker recipe but gets baked in the oven to make proper ciabatta

Q0kS7iF.jpg
comes out of the oven looking something like this
eogwaPB.png

if you make it proper italian slipper style

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I can't be much help at the moment, a sourdough starter is something that I've looked at making but not actually done yet. What process have you followed up to now with it? I'll have a look in my bread book when I get home if no one else can help.

Started with 200g flour and 200ml water. Leaving it loosely covered for 24 hours before discarding half and feeding it with another 100g flour and 100ml water.

It proper stinks now, so it's doing something!

Associate
When I was using a sour dough starter it would be really slow to rise. I would make the bread dough in the evening and leave it overnight. Fantastic bread but you do have to look after the starter.

Soldato
OP
I've been having a bit more success with it this week, maybe it needed more time. It now bubbles right up as soon as I feed it, and when I take it out of the fridge to feed it again (where I'm now keeping it).

Back
Top Bottom