Different md5/sha1 checksums on same file

Associate
Im running a hash tool to view the sha1 and md5 of a file, but every time I run it, I get different results? I assume it should always yield the same values due to the algorithm used to calculate them.

Im now thinking possible hardware issue, hdd, ram or even cpu.

I have actually been having the odd bsod, so this could just be another sign of pending doom....

Man of Honour
Yep definitely something unstable in your system as it should return the same result every time or else they'd be useless for checking file integrity.

Soldato
If every time its different then you have an issue somewhere. It is very very rare to get a different hash value for an identical file but it can mathematically happen.

Don
Check eventviewer for any errors give by the disk, if not that then it's probably ram.

Run memtest86+

-Could try putting the file on a USB drive and running MD5 on it there

Associate
It is very very rare to get a different hash value for an identical file but it can mathematically happen.

AFAIK you should always get the same hash value for the same file, but it is possible to get the same hash value for different files.

It sounds hardware related unless there's something actually changing the file contents...

Associate
OP
lol.. run memtest.. riddled with errors!

Luckily id raised an RMA with overclockers last week as I had suspected they were faulty. Certainly explains a hell of a lot of problems Ive been having!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom