Dual USB Lighter Adapter thing.

Soldato
I need to charge both my phone and satnav when driving and currently only have the one usb adapter that came with my satnav to charge things.

Can I get a hold of a dual adapter with two usbs on it and would this work to charge a Tom Tom Satnav and a HTC One both being used at the same time.

Associate
I've used one for powering my iphone and running a speed camera detector at the same time with no issues.

The thing to look for is how much power they can give over the 2 usb ports. Some give 0.5a some give 1a. If they can only give half an amp on each you might find it powers both the devices but doesn't actually charge them.

Soldato
OP
Found that Belkin one on Amazon, it's a tad more expensive than other options but hopefully works a tad better.

I have a 2011 Corsa, will leaving things plugged in when the engine isn't on still drain the battery or does it all get cut off when you turn the engine off and remove the key?

Soldato
Mine's a permanent live and I leave crap plugged in to it all the time in addition to my dash camera. It'd take a long, long time for it to flatten a good condition battery.

Soldato
Funnily enough I purchased one of these the other day and it works like a charm. :)

ahhh nice! just bought one of these as been looking for a split one... plus I don;t think my current one puts out that much juice as it takes FOREVER to charge! so hopefully with 3.1 amps at it's disposal it should charge my phone a bit faster now :D

Soldato
Mine's a permanent live and I leave crap plugged in to it all the time in addition to my dash camera. It'd take a long, long time for it to flatten a good condition battery.

We flattened a battery on the Mini in a couple of weeks just by leaving a sat nav charger plugged in, not even connected to anything.

Soldato
Fair enough, but either I'm way off the mark here or a charger that draws 250ma without anything plugged in doesn't sound particularly efficient?!

I'd probably unplug things if I left it for two weeks but at least over a weekend, for example, I wouldn't expect a USB charger to flatten a battery.

Edit: My dash cam is permanently active and I can leave the car all weekend with no issues. It must draw a reasonable amount of current because in the winter if there has been frost, there will be a small circle of no frost on the windscreen above it ;) I also have a USB cig lighter charger always plugged in and it's permanently live.

I might measure the current draw on the battery with and without them, to see, out of academic interest :)

Last edited:
Soldato
i have this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRIFFIN-D...ories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item337dc9f794

looks OEM when in my dash as it fits nearly flush to the socket

worked a damn sight better than my samsung official charger

ummmm am curious why does it say
5V / 1A per USB port, CAN NOT charge iPad or any tablet.

is it just they require more than the amps supplied to charge? because well... my note2 phone is almost a tablet lol xD (and I just won an ipad mini.....be a bit poop if can't charge that on the go for me passengers).

Back
Top Bottom