** GRAND THEFT AUTO V **

Soldato
It's just ridiculous that publishers charge shops so much for games! :mad:
My local game shop sells games early and he always charges more if you want it early. Can't blame him really! It's the only possible way to compete with the Sainsbury's near by.

Ahhh but publishers don't sell direct, you get from distributers such as centersoft and they want a cut too!..... developer, publisher, distributer and retailer.... and the middle two get all the money!

Soldato
Amazon will make a profit from GTA V even selling at £35. My ex sister in law works in their finance department and they are expecting to make more from GTA V sales than anything else this year including next generation consoles and games.

That's what she told me anyway. Still did not get me a copy early though......

I would have asked too if I was in the same boat lmao.

So places like that do make a penny off games?

Soldato
Yes but not profit! its all about your throughput on stuff like this, makes the year end figures look good.

Trust me we have a very good relationship with the uk distros and its £39.99 once you add vat on. No one is getting it cheaper, at least that's what they are saying or being told. Amazon manage to avoid paying vat on things so they can make a bit maybe, for the rest of us its 40 quid before we see any profit at all.

Soldato
Ah I see, so is it safe to say Amazon have the largest stock of this in the UK?

I'm getting the CE, so I'm guessing they make a bit more on the more expensive editions?

Soldato
Yes worldwide. An Indy shop buying say 250-500 copies from a wholesaler can not compete with amazon buying 250,000 odd copies direct. Amazon will get it cheaper because of the sheer volume ordered.

It's why so many small games shops are going under or relying as mentioned on the 2nd hand games to boost sales.

My ex sister in law used to work at a small ish distribution company and she said amazon is basically the same but just add 000 onto the end of everything.

Soldato
If you think AtreuS is writting BS, don't. I also work in PC store, and see the margains.

Amazon and all other BIG players can afford to sell with 0-1% margain because their selling range is so d**n large....

Normal shops can't do that....I hope that won't happen worst case scenario: online shops only.

We need regular shops too.

Caporegime
we have regular shops who sell them at cost price too, they are called supermarkets.

i don't see supermarkets dying anytime soon.

so indie's dying is no real biggy, there will always be competition, and so long as there is competition feuding supermarkets will continue to offer them at much lower prices than indies could ever imagine.

Soldato
i think indies dying is a big thing, maybe it's an age thing but take as an example my guitar, i bought it from an independent music shop. Now i could have got it cheaper online but the bloke spent time with me, knows what music tastes and level i play at (not very good by the way ;) ) was able to answer all my questions and without his input i would probably be trying to play as a righty not a lefty.
Now i know games aren't quite the same but if you were to get in with an indie shop they get a feel for games you like and might point you in direction of other titles or genres you didn't know or think you might enjoy.

Soldato
Do we really need games shops these days

Yes before we had the net but now...?

Sorry to any owners out there but the only games shops making cash seem to be the resellers who will buy your games for 8 quid and sell them for 16.

For new games it's hard to beat online prices unless you want day 1 release which at the ripe old age I am I don't really care about hehe.

PS mine has dispatched so expect it Thursday.

Soldato
My local independent store has games for the NES / master system (?) Ere and newer. Want a snes controller? They've got it. Want a game boy advance charger? Theyve got it. Want a dreamcast vmu? Tjeyve got it. Want an obscure Megadrive game? They might have it. I don't think they make much money from current gen stuff. They are a touch on the expensive side but where else are you going to get Aladdin for the Megadrive from?

Back
Top Bottom