iOS 7 Review

Associate
These are exactly my thoughts. I'll be interested in hearing what other member's think?

* Speed Bump: no, slight decrease in animation frame rates
* Ethos: inflexible pastels, fun parallax, odd transparencies, lines everywhere
* Ease of transition: fine, with most iOS 6 features intact
* Completeness: no better or worse than iOS 6 in estimation
* Legibility: horrific in places, font too thin and light
* Responsiveness: sometimes frustrating, having to wait for animations to finish
* Multitasking: better, more visual plus new API calls
* iPhone implementation: sloppy, with with many system-wide inconsistencies
* iPad implementation: horrifically unoptimized, inconsistent and rushed
* Defaults: inconsistent, but functional
* Sharing: more flexible & scalable, AirDrop
* Battery Life: iPhone 5, seemingly the same as iOS 6
* Siri, expanded functionality, still questionable connectivity
* App compatibility: some quirks (largely visual), but largely fine
* Overall Rating: 7/10 iPhone, 5/10 iPad

Things I Like:

* Parallax
* Control Center
* Paginated Folders
* App Autoupdates
* Blocking

Things I Dislike:

* Completely unavoidable color palate
* Inconsistent design ethos (UI)
* Legibility without accessibility tweaks
* Still confusing Photos, Media Store experiences
* Feels rushed, overall - like an Apple knockoff

Sloppy iOS 7 UI/UX Oversights:

* Renamed folders revert to original titles after reboot
* White text on bright green when in a call? Who can read that?!
* Search icon / label jumps when opening Reminders, Notes on iPad
* Centered "Search" text in the search fields? Really?
* Text once re-rendered when opening Notification Center & refreshing Weather.
* Odd page spacing issues have croped-up on springboard - How? After reordering?
* Game Center icon has 3D bubbles? What happened to "flat?"
* Font sizes for similar fields (Search, namely) seem to be all over the map in default apps
* Some icons seem elegant by comparison to crappy "Voice Memos," "Reminders"
* Feature dividers in Control Center seem unnecessary on iPhone (not iPad)
* Folder layer color doesn't update in real-time after tapping Search result
* I'm not sold on how Share Sheets were implemented.
* Due to awkward contrast in spots, too many times: "I can't read the damn text!"
* Many default apps aren't aware of their state after being mashed by a phone call bar
* Long, single-word app titles line break inappropriately / without dash in App Store
* Very klutzy transition as composed text messages are sent.
* Font in Related TV Show titles, second line clipped (Videos)
* When tapping to voicemail from locked NC, notification returns after animation
* Why is task switching free flowing, but springboard divided by pages?
* Mistaps during transition animations (specifically, towards the end of them)
* Flat design of apps besides Notes with texture?
* Busted transparency on context menu in Messages at one point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Cgtzg70X8

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a very good play in the Apple Store earlier, and I'll be honest, some of their decisions are questionable.

I do think that it's good that Apple are willing to make such changes but overall, this isn't the right way.

Think I'm still going to purchase a 5S though, as I'm sure that updates will resolve some of these issues.

Soldato
I think the thing to remember with 7 is that it's a first attempt in terms of it being Ive's baby rather than Forstall's, and so we may need to ride out the early teething phase while they look at what's working for people and what isn't before making changes in future updates. It's a huge change from 1-6, and I didn't expect them to get everything right first time.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I might be speaking from the point of view of someone too old for this market and from too far up north in Europe for my opinion to matter on global scale but I'm just not sure where Apple did they research with all of this garish and tacky stuff that keeps being rolled out recently.
- Replaced Final Cut Studio with iMovie Plus For Age 7-10 Final Cut X
- Replaced Mac Pro tower workstation with Brabantia iBin
- Replaced cheaper iPhone (usually previous gen) with Fisher Price iPhone 5C
- Replaced IOS6 with Symbian for Toys R Us(TM) My First Phone (with default colour scheme for visually impaired)

Lolz aside, Apple was always company that could win on style. Couldn't win on hardware spec, was very stingy on extras but packaged with style and panache. Greys, aluminums, patterns, embossing, bevels, structure, professional, surgical, cold, architectural precision of glass and metal. We dropped our tacky, far eastern plastics of PC world and paid the extra just to have the "less but more". And it was pro. And it meant business. And it was cool to touch. And it was 21st century. And it was as close to the "Minority Report" and "Oblivion" that this gloomy, rainy, concrete, brick and mortar British "here and now" could take us into the brighter, smarter, cooler future. And it was good. Expensive but good. And it felt right.

So what part of the world did Apple visit to arrive at the conclusion that the eighties are back. What's with the phones in tupperware garnish of Reliant Robin Blue, Adam Ant Lipstick Red and Cindy Lauper Tank Shirt Yellow? What's with the buttons in IOS in Chernobyl Radioactive Green, backgrounds full of Sonny Crockett's Jacket in Miami Vice White and text in apps like notes in You've Been Tango'd Orange? What's with the Dolorean Dirty Gold iPhone 5S? Hey, Cupertino, Nicky Campbell called and he wants his Wheel Of Fortune random size fontset back.

And then there is that bizarre come back to 100% proprietary hardware in workstations. Because what, last time you went to the wall with PowerPC rubbish wasn't enough? Because un-upgradable systems worked out great for Amiga? Sun Microsystems? Silicon Graphics? Cray Systems? Intergraph? Dec Digital? Nobody does that. Do you know why? Because it's not nineties anymore. It never worked long term. Not once. Not for a single company. It is considered a major no-no.

So what is this last century nostalgia? Why the regression? Apple had hardware that every manufacturer in the world wanted to emulate. Why throw it away? Why alienate the userbase with the machine gun chain of tacky, fugly looking half baked girly tat?

Last edited:
Soldato
Other then the bugs (which will be fixed, obviously) I like iOS7 - i like the colours and the UI style, i dont find the photo or media stuff confusing at all, and i dont need the accessibility tweaks to make things legible :/

Man of Honour
People would have complained no matter what they did.

I really like iOS 7, but it does need work in a few areas. Absolutely no reason to think they won't get it polished up to a higher standard.

Soldato
People sure do complain a lot, after a day of using iOS7 I quite like it, I'm not going to bother upgrading to the 5S as my 5 feels new and fresh now anyway.

This.. I like it.. And I have really bad eyes and I don't have problem with the fonts.. I has helped freshen up my 4s till I am due for a new phone in a year.

Associate
On the whole, I like the update.

Only real gripe so far is that "All Day Events" in calendar do not show in the notifications calendar.

So Birthdays, Anniversaries, Holidays, Calendar Reminders set for whatever etc do not show.

You can have hourly appointments, but nothing that is important enough to take a whole day!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Have you reported your findings as bugs?

That's the only way they'll get actioned :o

Soldato
Not feeling it on the ipad, the dock at bottom looks rubbish now. Keep half pulling up the settings bar when unlocking also, and for some reason I can't resize my wall papers. Everything feels more disjointed and not as slick :/

Can't wait for updates.

Soldato
I might be speaking from the point of view of someone too old for this market and from too far up north in Europe for my opinion to matter on global scale but I'm just not sure where Apple did they research with all of this garish and tacky stuff that keeps being rolled out recently.
- Replaced Final Cut Studio with iMovie Plus For Age 7-10 Final Cut X
- Replaced Mac Pro tower workstation with Brabantia iBin
- Replaced cheaper iPhone (usually previous gen) with Fisher Price iPhone 5C
- Replaced IOS6 with Symbian for Toys R Us(TM) My First Phone (with default colour scheme for visually impaired)

Lolz aside, Apple was always company that could win on style. Couldn't win on hardware spec, was very stingy on extras but packaged with style and panache. Greys, aluminums, patterns, embossing, bevels, structure, professional, surgical, cold, architectural precision of glass and metal. We dropped our tacky, far eastern plastics of PC world and paid the extra just to have the "less but more". And it was pro. And it meant business. And it was cool to touch. And it was 21st century. And it was as close to the "Minority Report" and "Oblivion" that this gloomy, rainy, concrete, brick and mortar British "here and now" could take us into the brighter, smarter, cooler future. And it was good. Expensive but good. And it felt right.

So what part of the world did Apple visit to arrive at the conclusion that the eighties are back. What's with the phones in tupperware garnish of Reliant Robin Blue, Adam Ant Lipstick Red and Cindy Lauper Tank Shirt Yellow? What's with the buttons in IOS in Chernobyl Radioactive Green, backgrounds full of Sonny Crockett's Jacket in Miami Vice White and text in apps like notes in You've Been Tango'd Orange? What's with the Dolorean Dirty Gold iPhone 5S? Hey, Cupertino, Nicky Campbell called and he wants his Wheel Of Fortune random size fontset back.

And then there is that bizarre come back to 100% proprietary hardware in workstations. Because what, last time you went to the wall with PowerPC rubbish wasn't enough? Because un-upgradable systems worked out great for Amiga? Sun Microsystems? Silicon Graphics? Cray Systems? Intergraph? Dec Digital? Nobody does that. Do you know why? Because it's not nineties anymore. It never worked long term. Not once. Not for a single company. It is considered a major no-no.

So what is this last century nostalgia? Why the regression? Apple had hardware that every manufacturer in the world wanted to emulate. Why throw it away? Why alienate the userbase with the machine gun chain of tacky, fugly looking half baked girly tat?

possibly one of the most entertaining posts I've ever read on ocuk.

Soldato
Notifications are still a completely mess, and for the life of me I cant understand why they didn't implement the swipe gesture similar to the the mutli tasking. Outside of that its mostly great.

The completely change of UI elements is a bit jarring, and not always having the back gesture is a annoying.

Back
Top Bottom