Seagate Barracuda 2tb (ST2000DM001) drives - All better now?

Associate
I had a Seagate 3TB go bad on me, so i checked the warranty status and Seagate are refusing to replace it, saying its out of warranty. However the manufacturing date on it says 09/12, so its definitely not even a year old yet.

Seagates reply and i quote "Any dates on the drive are unimportant when it comes to warranty. Also most of the time the numbers on the drive do not match any kind of

manufacturing dates. "

So yep, look's like i will NEVER be purchasing any of their hardware ever again.

Soldato
OP
I had a Seagate 3TB go bad on me, so i checked the warranty status and Seagate are refusing to replace it, saying its out of warranty. However the manufacturing date on it says 09/12, so its definitely not even a year old yet.

Seagates reply and i quote "Any dates on the drive are unimportant when it comes to warranty. Also most of the time the numbers on the drive do not match any kind of

manufacturing dates. "

So yep, look's like i will NEVER be purchasing any of their hardware ever again.
And if you do a check of your serial number on their online warranty check?

Soldato
OP
Well, I have it in an external eSata caddy at the moment, and I'd describe it as quiet.

I can hear is spinning, as I can with other 7200rpm drives, but no real noise at all. It's 1 foot away from me. The odd very little access click but that's it.

Through the eSata caddy using HD Tune:-
Min Transf. : 145.9MB/sec
Max Trans. : 178.1MB/sec

That's 50-70% quicker than my existing WD and Samsung drives which are plugged directly into the machine!

I'm currently hammering the hell out of this drive cloning my old drive onto it, and also resizing/moving partitions/data on it. Tis very quiet!

Soldato
OP
OK! Getting the regular chirping from this drive at times! Sometimes it's doing it every 20-40 seconds seemingly when the machine isn't being used...

I do not recall this sound while it was in the external caddy. Either it didn't do it, or it wasn't idle?

EDIT: It's very annoying!

Last edited:
Associate
Have just purchased 4 of these drives to go into my Seagate NAS 440, as one of the original drives failed and thought it would be the ideal time to upgrade all 4 drives from 1Tb drives to 2Tb drives.

3 of the 4 are of the 2 1Tb platter variation (Z1E) and the 4th is of the 3 666Gb platter variation (Z1F). All have the same DOM of 03/2013 and all have the same firmware on them CC26.

Ran them all through HD Tune Pro, albeit on an old IBM ThinkCentre MT-M 8820, and have the following results;

Z1F

Z1E No.1

Z1E No.2

Z1E No.3

Associate
Have just purchased 4 of these drives to go into my Seagate NAS 440, as one of the original drives failed and thought it would be the ideal time to upgrade all 4 drives from 1Tb drives to 2Tb drives.

3 of the 4 are of the 2 1Tb platter variation (Z1E) and the 4th is of the 3 666Gb platter variation (Z1F). All have the same DOM of 03/2013 and all have the same firmware on them CC26.

Ran them all through HD Tune Pro, albeit on an old IBM ThinkCentre MT-M 8820, and have the following results;

Z1F

Z1E No.1

Z1E No.2

Z1E No.3

Soldato
OP
So this little DOS command file stops my annoying chirping/parking noise.

Note: My C drive is an SSD, so I just write to the D drive (the Seagate) every 15 seconds (or so), and voila no annoying noise. At least my initial tests seem to imlpy this prevents it!

Code:
@ECHO OFF
:LOOP
ECHO Writing...
ECHO %DATE% %TIME% > d:\usedisk.txt
SLEEP 15 /quiet
GOTO:LOOP

If this seems to solve it, then we just need a simple VB service that can do something similar!? Not ideal, but the noise annoys me!

I wonder if the Seagate was my C drive, if that would prevent the noise as the OS and programs would be regularly accessing the C drive?

note: "SLEEP" is a freeware executable for DOS to introduce the sleep command. I just downloaded it and put it in the same folder as my batch script.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think I've just about made the noise acceptable. I've move the drive from the craddle (cooled by a fan) in my case to one of the bays, where's it's tucked away with more stuff around it, and even put two layers of cardboard in the case's front to sound proof it more.

I can hardly hear the annoying parking sound now.

If I had the choice and/or could be bothered, I'd ditch it for a quieter unit.

Soldato
Have a ST2000DM001 here out of a Seagate SRD00F2 (Expansion Desktop Drive) that seems to have failed...

It won't power on/spin up, in one of my external caddies I can see the power light dimming as it tries to spin the drive up?!

It's a friends drive and she had the power adaptor fail (or so she thought), what else can I do?

I see they are on TWO, this drive has the deep goove which implies its a 3 platter disk.

With the drives on special, is it worth me buying one and seeing if swapping the control board fixes it? Or does it sound more like a motor issue? (ie what is the likelihood of me fixing this, or should I get a data recovery quote from somewhere) :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Ouch that's not a good ratio!

I 'solved' the problem with my friends drive... Because I suspected the power supply I read up on testing the TVS diodes on the board (basically OCP) and found the 12v one to be faulty.

As I had bought a replacement drive on TWO and tried the board swap (didn't work, but the damaged drive did spin up) I was 90% certain the physical platters were ok. As my friends drive was under warranty (but seagate only offer a 'replacement' option, not a repair) I took a chance and voided the warranty by snipping off the 12V TVS from the board.

The drive happily spun up so I quickly (well as quick as you can copy 32GB over USB2 ;) ) copied the drive contents (important uni work) to the new disk. Fitted the new disk in another USB caddy I had (as couldn't source the correct power adaptor for the seagate) and my friend is over the moon with her data not only recovered, but on a brand new disk (with a new 2 year warranty).

But I'm now left with a working 2TB drive that I dare not use... Will probably stick it on the 'bay ;)

Soldato
OP
Well, my one is still working fine, but the annoying "parking click" sounds still happens regularly. Infact I've even put a couple of sheets of cardboard in front of the drive to try and dull the sound of it :(

Back
Top Bottom