SSD External boot drive on an iMac

Associate
Hey guys.

I have a spare 120Gb SSD sat in a drawer that has never been used. Was an RMA replacement for a faulty one.

I would like to use this as a boot drive for my iMac but do not want to open the iMac up to install it. I know other companies can and will do this but I DO NOT WANT TO GO ALONG THAT ROUTE.

Is there a way I can use that SSD as an external boot drive for the iMac but without sacrificing the benefits of having an SSD?

Neil

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Why don't you want to open it? It's a straight forward install :)

Associate
You can do this over USB2 or Firewire - I think something like the OWC Mercury On the Go Pro would do it. However, you won't get the full benefit of the SSD - although looking online people report some benefits (where small files are being read , like when those used by OSX and apps, you get a decent benefit).

Soldato
u can set it up over usb 2, firewire or thunderbolt.

I used to have 1 on my imac. Makes a big difference on boot but most people don't shutdown there mac's and put them to sleep.

Associate
OP
You can do this over USB2 or Firewire - I think something like the OWC Mercury On the Go Pro would do it. However, you won't get the full benefit of the SSD - although looking online people report some benefits (where small files are being read , like when those used by OSX and apps, you get a decent benefit).

So If I got the OWC enclosure on it's own, installed my 120Gb SSD, connected to my iMac via USB 2 and then installed OSX on it as the main boot OS then it would perform faster than an install on a regular non ssd drive?

It's just the usb2 I am worried about. I don't wish to kill the benefit of using an SSD by usb2. If there is a speed boost of the SSD over usb2 rather than a standard drive connected internally then I will go for it.

Associate
So If I got the OWC enclosure on it's own, installed my 120Gb SSD, connected to my iMac via USB 2 and then installed OSX on it as the main boot OS then it would perform faster than an install on a regular non ssd drive?

It's just the usb2 I am worried about. I don't wish to kill the benefit of using an SSD by usb2. If there is a speed boost of the SSD over usb2 rather than a standard drive connected internally then I will go for it.

From what I've read, it'll be quicker than regular disk, but not as quick as doing it internally. I also think Firewire will be quicker than USB2.

There's plenty of stuff on google if you search 'imac external ssd firewire' or similar.

Back
Top Bottom