Adaptive voltage

Associate
I watched one of JJ from Asus's videos and he explained that when doing a 4way optimisation over clock it does an adaptive voltage to save power/maintain lower temps. He proceeded to demonstrate this using Aida cpuid and it showed stock ghz but when he ran a program you could see to the processor speed increase the the overlock ghz in real time. This concept is brilliant as you can have all the benefits of overlock when you use a program that can use the speed but then your pc runs at ultra low power when just browsing/doin general tasks.

My question is that I have used this 4way optimisation but I get a constant 4.4ghz whether using cpuidz or Aida cpuid. Temps are low 30's when not running anything but I don't understand why my CPU is running at full speed with adaptive turned on?

Last edited:
Associate
You need to enable windows power saving to take advantage of downclocking when idle. Go into advanced powersaving settings and set "minimum CPU state" to 5%. That will downclock your CPU to 800mhz in idle.

Also, you need to enable EIST in bios. No idea what asus calls it.

Associate
I would be a bit careful using adaptive voltage, from memory if you manually set it to 1.25v maximum, the CPU will go and fetch a bit more in my case 1.36v during heavy stress testing.

Man of Honour
How does that work as I thought that adaptive voltage could only do that. If so what is the point of adaptive voltage?

Don't have a clue. It works so i left it as it was.

I would be a bit careful using adaptive voltage, from memory if you manually set it to 1.25v maximum, the CPU will go and fetch a bit more in my case 1.36v during heavy stress testing.

This is what i read on a couple of guides and why i haven't used adaptive. It also said that temps were higher when using adaptive voltage due to the extra volts.

Back
Top Bottom