• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New graphics card for an old machine for tomorrow!

Associate
Help! - Its my daughters birthday tomorrow.
She loves Skyrim - or did until a couple of weeks ago and our aged Xbox 360 died.

I'm hoping to get Skyrim running on my old gaming PC for tomorrow night. I bought it on Steam with the hope it would cope and could play it. Its bordering on playable - but stutters and slows down far too often.

My spec is a Q6600 CPU, on a DP35DP Intel Motherboard and 4GB corsair RAM. 2
It has a 8800 GTX Graphics card. Skyrim tested it as "low settings" and I lowered the settings even further to run at the lowest resolution. It still lags a lot - There isn't much left I can do!

Is there a graphics card around the £100 price I could pick up tomorrow and make this game work for her on the above speced PC ?

I'm regretting not picking up a 2nd hand Xbox now, but I have already thrown the money for the game (and official guide + addons) at this, and if I could get this PC running well, she has my 83 game steam library to go at until we decide what to do next (next gen console, new PC etc)

Getting a bit desperate now. I've looked online at cards, but I'm a bit out of touch with gaming PCs and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Soldato
Soldato
If it can run a 8800 GTX then the HD 7850 will be no problem as it uses slightly less power. And a lot less on idle.

There is a down side though, as the 8800 GTX was good as a foot heater (if you have the pc by your feet).

Associate
OP
yes, agree with the foot heater comment, especially with winter approaching :D

Are the rest of my bits going to cope ok? Back when I built the PC every tiny upgrade brought about a new PC, so I expect I will very quickly have to upgrade the rest too ?

Back
Top Bottom