Squadron 42 - Star Citizen : Wing Commander Style Space Sim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
where can you confirm if you have the life time insurance? I backed it on kick starter but the digital socut version I think it was called

Associate
Squadron 42 is a single player campaign along the lines of Wing Commander, then when finished (or before if you want) you can progress onto Star Citizen which is much more like Freelancer or Privateer but in an instanced MMO setting on the scale of EVE.

There's no real permadeath as such. If you get killed, an inheritor takes up your belongings that you then play as. As for your ship, an insurance claim is filed and then you must wait for a ship hull to be delivered to your home planet that you can then continue on with.

Soldato
The big $20m has been reached :D
And fully funded by the community.

Now SC includes:

First person combat on select lawless planets. Don’t just battle on space stations and platforms … take the fight to the ground!

The next $22m feature will be:

Facial Capture System. We’ve researched a technology that uses a series of cameras to capture real heads and import them into the game. This will let the team more easily create a variety of realistic characters. In addition, the technology is mobile enough to allow us to take it on the road and capture select fans during special events! You can learn more about this technology at Infinite-Realities.

A quick explanation of the stretch goals decision:

There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce. Typically the stretch goals fall into two categories;

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints. The first person combat on select planets is a great example of this type of goal. We already have FPS combat as part of the game in ship boarding, and we already have most of this already functional thanks to CryEngine, as we essentially have Crysis3 functionality out of the box. But creating all the environments and assets to fill them is a huge task, so we were planning on not doing any planetside combat initially, simply because of its cost, with the idea that we would slowly roll it out once the game is live. But with the additional funds we can now afford to create some of this content earlier rather than later.

The facial capture system is an example of the second type, where we identify technology and equipment that will make the game better and allow us to be more nimble and economically efficient in continually creating content for the ongoing universe that we are aiming to support. The motion capture system and sound studio were goals that feel into this category.

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Am I missing out by not doing all of this ship upgrading LTI business? Still don't fully know the ins and outs, I got the Bounty Hunter package so I think I have the Origin 300.

EDIT: From the way I understand it, because I'm an original backer, I can obtain ships for people that will then get LTI applied, and then I trade those ships back?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're an original or vetern backer than you're already LTI. All the ship upgrades do is start you with a better or different version of the ship you own. All the 300's can be upgraded to the others with the exception of the 350r I believe, if you pledge now for this or earn it in game is entirely up to your value of the experience.

Associate
Well, I'd previously backed the game because I believe in it... Today I finally cracked and upgraded my pledge. Proud owner of a 325a Fighter.

I appreciate it helps, but I've been reluctant to throw money at the game before we see much... But, in Chris Roberts we trust.

Soldato
Quick noob questions, if I may, as their search function doesn't seem to be yielding the answers...

The recommended SysReqs say 8GB RAM, but I have only 4... Do you reckon I could still get my pledge ship and play with the Hangar module on that (low settings, I assume), or will it fail to run at all?

Also, I assume I can simply re-download my pledge ship and have a play in a couple months time when I've got my upgraded rig up and running? Or is this demo release thing a one-time only deal?

Associate
Yes it is. Original backers have access to life time insurance (don't have to pay to keep the basic ship); effectively the more expensive the ship, the more valuable the LTI becomes... for example, my 325a is insured so that I don't have to get the addons to a 300i in game to make it become a 325a. To get the LTI, you simply have to ask a nice original backer to 'upgrade' it by gifting it to them, they then 'melt' the package in to store credits and then buy the new package with their bonuses. They then gift the package back to you. You have until the 26th November to do this sort of business.

I'm wondering, what sort of package (how much) does one have to get in the first place and is there anyone in this thread will to do such a noble thing?

Last edited:
Associate
Quick noob questions, if I may, as their search function doesn't seem to be yielding the answers...

The recommended SysReqs say 8GB RAM, but I have only 4... Do you reckon I could still get my pledge ship and play with the Hangar module on that (low settings, I assume), or will it fail to run at all?

Also, I assume I can simply re-download my pledge ship and have a play in a couple months time when I've got my upgraded rig up and running? Or is this demo release thing a one-time only deal?

That 8GB is the minimum requirement for when the game is complete.....which is in about 2 years time.

The current Hangar module only uses about 500mb to 1GB of RAM.....its heavily GPU dependant, and your GPU must be DX11 capable.

I get about 45 fps average on my GTX 680 on max settings at 1920x1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom