Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Associate
I posted this in the drive forum but I mght get a different answer here.

I did a fresh install of Win 7 onto my new 840 Evo, including updates and drivers. I then found out about Samsung Magician and loaded that on as well. However now whenever I boot into Windows I get a pop up asking if I want to let Magician make changes to my computer, really annoying.

Does anyone else get this and is there a way around it. Someone has suggested scheduling a task but wondering if there was any other way.

Thanks

Associate
Im thinking of getting a 120gig evo to go with my Kingston HyperX.
I want to run the evo as my main drive with win7 on it plus my main games. I then want to plug in the Kingston and put the rest of my games on it.
I would like to run the Evo in turbo mode all of the time as I only game on my pc. Will it work in this configuration?

Associate
I got mine over the weekend, 500Gb model.

Had an issue whereby the latest Intel RST application would show the EVO as a 6Gb/s device (as it should), then I'd run AS SSD and get 3Gb/s speeds, and the RST application would refresh to display the EVO as operating at 3Gb/s?!?!

In the end I uninstalled the Intel RST drivers and loaded the Windows default ones, my EVO now runs at 6Gb/s as it should. My board is the Asus VI Formula Z77 chipset.

Associate
Bought a 240 Evo - cloned etc - No problems. :)

Decided to use the Magician software and ran the OS Optimization for maximum performance.+ rapid mode. Again no problems :)

Or so I thought......

Now realized that Speedstep is turned off and I am running @ 4.5 ALL the time.

I would prefer to have Speedstep and thoughts are :-

1) Leave as is except adjust the windows power option settings - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. ( I have already altered the monitor setting to never , as I did not like it turning itself off every 15mins :D) but am not sure what I need to alter - anyone out there with a quick guide ?

2.) Revert to 'balanced' setting in windows - but would this cause problems with the Sammy?

3) Delete the Sammy software - let windows re-set in power (I assume that the sammy power settings will be lost in this process) and then leave the OS optimization section alone?

Would appreciate assistance ; so thoughts as to the best way to get speedstep working and best performance out of the ssd appreciated :)

BTW would rather lose a little ssd performance than speedstep !!

WHY do Samsung turn it off anyway :(

Soldato
had not noticed before but with samsung high performance set in the windows power plans mine varies between 3.6 to 4.3 gig
when using balanced plan it varies from around .800 to 4.3
not seen it stay at one speed though
You sure you got all the relevant speedstep settings set in the bios?
Not seen any obvious speed drops using either plan tbh

Associate
Decided that any ssd performance gain was not worth having to run the cpu @4.5 24/7.

Reverted from Samsung High performance to balanced option in 'Power Options' and am now back with full implementation of speedstep :)

Overall very little difference in ssd performance - so no dire consequences:D

Cpu temp has dropped ; although this is only by 1 or 2 degrees so again no biggy.

Overall I think it really is do you want the max ssd performance with a bit of a temp increase and higher cpu usage then use Samsung High Performance os optimisation setting OR if you prefer lower temps but lower(ish) performance then use balanced . (subject to checking that your performance decrease/temp increase is not disastrous)

BTW - it was the Samsung High performance setting that had disabled Speedstep - such was turned on in the Bios and once I had reverted to balanced and re-booted speedstep was back:)

Soldato
Put Windows 8 Pro on this morning, now Rapid mode seems to be ineffective. Running the various speed benchmarks, it's not reading/writing over the standard 540/520 scores. It use to obtain results over 1000.

Anyone else?

Soldato
I'm running Z87 Chipset on a Gigabyte G1 Sniper. I have a pretty quick response from Samsung saying that due to the upgrade rather than fresh install, I might not expect correct results so they have suggested to disabled rapid, reboot, then remove the software, reboot, reinstall, reboot, enable rapid, reboot, and then try again.

I will give it a whirl when I get home tonight - pretty sure i'm on the latest chipset drivers on the Gigabyte site, might have to look directly at the Intel site instead.

Back
Top Bottom