New Car - MK7 Golf GTD

Soldato
I am aware he has a Mk7, it says so in the OP, and the title.

Whats the point?

One could argue that your observation of the MK6 in a MK7 thread is a bit "what's the point" too.

I'm a massive fan of PCP though to be fair.

Have you ever been in a position with PCP where the value of the car didn't cover the balloon payment, or do you always get a guaranteed buyback? Apart from the increased interest payments, that's the one thing that's always put me off about PCP.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Really nice car. I'm thinking of buying a 5 door after Christmas since driving the 2.0 TDI 150 and being really impressed.

What's the ride like on big wheels?

Actually not noticeably any different to my last Seat Ibiza 1.4 to be honest. You can feel the road definitely but I wouldn't say its any harder and I've been driving around in Sport mode for most of the time.

Lovely car mate, enjoy it. Did you get DSG?

No mate, manual. DSG gets good reviews though, I don't think I'm a fan of autos.

This.

I too find the MK3 Golf a little dated now.

:D

Soldato
So, don't think I've ever actually posted in here before (just been a lurker in the shadows) but took delivery of my new car at the beginning of the week.

Welcome to Motors...

I like it, just £27k is abit steep for that. One a year older would be a lot cheaper.

Man of Honour
I think the Golf is a brilliant car, I've always preferred it to the A3 actually, but I just struggle with the price of this car. I paid £21K (I think) for the brand new Mk5 GTi when it first came out so circa £27K for a lard burner just seems wrong, though I appreciate that was a few years back.

Soldato
I think the Golf is a brilliant car, I've always preferred it to the A3 actually, but I just struggle with the price of this car. I paid £21K (I think) for the brand new Mk5 GTi when it first came out so circa £27K for a lard burner just seems wrong, though I appreciate that was a few years back.

Thing is, everything goes up in price quite remarkably with every new iteration and it can catch you out when you first notice something but when you look at some of the Golf's competition, comparing no options:

VW Golf GTD (185) - £25,285
BMW 120d (184) M-Sport - £26,135
Merc A220 (170) CDI - £26,745
Seat Leon FR (185) - £22,375
Volvo V40 (177) - £24,020
Ford Focus (163) TitX - £23,895

When you consider some of the competition can be just as mad, getting it for £26,500 with optional alloys and sat nav included isn't completely horrendous (well, no more so than any new car purchase in this sector).

Soldato
You would buy a 25 grand performance car on eBay?

Regardless of warranty remaining that sends out all the wrong messages to me. Its not like auto trader/ pistoneheads etc are expensive ( it may well be on them all, that's just my instant reaction to it)

Man of Honour

Regardless of warranty remaining that sends out all the wrong messages to me. Its not like auto trader/ pistoneheads etc are expensive ( it may well be on them all, that's just my instant reaction to it)

It's just a classified advertisement from a trader :confused: It's not a random auction?

Soldato

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e90-m3-07-13/2008-bmw-m3-saloon-dct-gearbox-43k-approved-used--5-months-bmw-warranty-remaining/1657877

Same car on Pistonheads. A lot of the traders advertise on these sites, eBay has recently become more and more popular with traders. It's one of the fastest growing sites for the car market.

EDIT: Howard, I spend a lot of my time on eBay/PH browsing car adds. There are a lot of gems to be had out there and some come at a great price. Especially like my Mondeo. :D

Soldato
What I mean is, I thought they were all E92/E93 coupes

Nope, you could have a Saloon in E90 shape. Rare to come by but they are out there, same like the M5 Tourings. They're just not as popular as I guess people prefer the styling of the coupes. Every 335d/i I see is a coupe.

Man of Honour
Thing is, everything goes up in price quite remarkably with every new iteration and it can catch you out when you first notice something but when you look at some of the Golf's competition, comparing no options:

VW Golf GTD (185) - £25,285
BMW 120d (184) M-Sport - £26,135
Merc A220 (170) CDI - £26,745
Seat Leon FR (185) - £22,375
Volvo V40 (177) - £24,020
Ford Focus (163) TitX - £23,895

When you consider some of the competition can be just as mad, getting it for £26,500 with optional alloys and sat nav included isn't completely horrendous (well, no more so than any new car purchase in this sector).

All true of course, but cars do seem to have gone up madly in the last few years don't they......or is that just my old age :(

Back
Top Bottom