Things you did before computers?

Soldato
Grifter times.....

Probably regret this but here is my aforementioned grifter....

005603013.jpg

I was born in 1978, so the 8-bit era was kicking off when I was a kid and thus home computers were already around for me.

If the question was "what did I do as a kid outside of computing?" Then yeah we played tag, had a den in the woods, played cops n robbers and other "let's pretend" games. Loved camping too and playing with matches hehe. On rainy days, if we weren't on the computer, we would have played Monopoly, play on the keyboard (synth) and made silly tape recordings of ourselves :)

Associate
Before computers? that is going waaaay back. Since we had the old apple/ibm pcs in early secondary school it would be a mix of old school console gaming, football in the park and riding on a bmx/mountain bike with my friends/cousin.

Soldato
Sure.

Space lego's and because i lived on a farm, britains farm toys.

Tbh they still kinda hold the magic today, both the 70's/80's like though go for mega money on the bay... as much as id like too...

Permabanned
OP
We used to make arrows out of garden canes. These things:

14G0Cga.jpg

At one end you'd split the cane and slot in two playing cards which you'd fold back to resemble dart flights. Then you'd bind them in place with some string. The other end would be sharpened.

To propel the arrow you'd wind a shoe lace tightly around the cane. The idea was to hold the end of the shoe lace and cane and then to take a run-up and launch the thing. You'd be left holding the shoe lace and the arrow would fly a mighty distance.

That would have been in the late 70's to early 80's.

I remember those, was amazing how far the things would go, mine were a little more dangerous though as we used to attach a nail on the front. ;)

Used to make flick knives out of lolly pop sticks to.

Associate
Littlewoods or freemans:o;)

LOL, well thumbed pages - my old man used to browse after sunday lunch - big event when the new one arrived :)

good days, football in street, out from 9-7, skinny, always hungry, just noisy all the time, getting filthy and mum remarking how dirty the bathwater was, stone fights, River thames shore exploring, playing soldiers, spraying my red chopper bright blue - setting fire to it while riding at night for a laugh (using grans 'lighter petrol'), being careful of other roads street kids, riding shopping trolleys, as mentioned going to library and getting thrown out - but on own actually reading books carefully, funfairs, whsmiths day out, 'Grease', mullet, arcade machines in cab offices, chippy hang out.

Got 48K spectrum, housebound then on.

:cool:

Permabanned
OP
Used to tie cotton on door knockers to opposite houses on the street, did as many as we could before running off to hide in an entry when a car came, was so funny seeing everyone come to their front door. :D

Man of Honour
Used to flee around on my old Grifter till someone nicked it. My Super-Tuff Burner got lifted as well.

We used to play ' Duffers ' which was dares. One of the top point earners was at what we called the girders. They were metal supports over the old train line where coal wagons passed through from the pit. We would stand on the girders while the train passed under.

Also, if we fancied shooting rats down by the river, we'd travel standard class on said coal trucks which passed nearby. I get a cold sweat thinking about it now.

Don't try this at home kids !

Man of Honour
Used to tie cotton on door knockers to opposite houses on the street, did as many as we could before running off to hide in an entry when a car came, was so funny seeing everyone come to their front door. :D

We used to run along the flat balconies rapping door knockers. Bangers left on doormats around Guy Fawkes night were another favourite at the time.

Back
Top Bottom